New Star Trek series - 2017

Soldato
Just finished watching this and for the most part I enjoyed it but I think I preferred the first season over the second.

Lorca, Giorgiou and Pike were the stand-out actors/characters for me, while Michael got more and more annoying as the show went on - badly written character, very limited actress.

I'm pleased Pike got the spin-off, looking forward to that as he seems to fit perfectly into the Star Trek universe.

There was quite a few facepalm moments - right from the off with footprints in the sand... and realising they actually did call her Michael.

They should make ships out of that blast-door material - reminded me of the toy doll that always survives plane crashes in Red Dwarf. :p

I'm currently going through TOS which is highly amusing, last time I watched any of those was probably around 1980. I never realised the Lwaxana Troi actress was in it.

Soldato
Just finished watching this and for the most part I enjoyed it but I think I preferred the first season over the second.

Lorca, Giorgiou and Pike were the stand-out actors/characters for me, while Michael got more and more annoying as the show went on - badly written character, very limited actress.

I'm pleased Pike got the spin-off, looking forward to that as he seems to fit perfectly into the Star Trek universe.

There was quite a few facepalm moments - right from the off with footprints in the sand... and realising they actually did call her Michael.

They should make ships out of that blast-door material - reminded me of the toy doll that always survives plane crashes in Red Dwarf. :p

I'm currently going through TOS which is highly amusing, last time I watched any of those was probably around 1980. I never realised the Lwaxana Troi actress was in it.
She was Rodenberry's wife as well the the voice of the TNG computer system.

Soldato
The dynamic and evolution of the relationship between Londo and Gkar was written and played incredibly well.
Currently on a rewatch and still on series 1. Dis gon b gud :)

I talked my missus into watching through it a few years ago along with maybe my 4th or 5th rewatch. She's not a huge Sci fi fan but by the end of season 5 and the closing monologue, she was in tears. Days later she was still talking about different elements from the show.

I find with most people who've watched both B5 and trek that babylon 5 evokes much more of an emotional reaction, I think its just a little more relatable for most people.

Season 1 is mostly terrible though...and I say that with B5 in my top 5 shows of all time.

Soldato
Yeah, it's still finding it's feet, as with most shows, but S1 has it's moments :) Much like the oft repeated "First two seasons of TNG were crap" thing that people love to say. While generally true, there are some great episodes in there.

I agree that it's deeper, grittier and has more of an emotional impact than say, DS9, but I absolutely love that show from S4 onwards.
They're different gravy and there's plenty to love in both Trek and B5.

ED: Obviously, there's a lot less to love in the latest Trek iterations :p :D

Last edited:
Soldato
I talked my missus into watching through it a few years ago along with maybe my 4th or 5th rewatch. She's not a huge Sci fi fan but by the end of season 5 and the closing monologue, she was in tears. Days later she was still talking about different elements from the show.

I find with most people who've watched both B5 and trek that babylon 5 evokes much more of an emotional reaction, I think its just a little more relatable for most people.

Season 1 is mostly terrible though...and I say that with B5 in my top 5 shows of all time.

Proper writing. Proper characters. Visual effects to support the story, not the other way around. A good show comes from good writing, the dross we've been seeing over the last few years shows that the likes of Kurtzman, JJ Abrams, Rian Johnson, Kathleen Kennedy, Akiva Goldman, etc are all in it for the money and self-aggrandizment. They are not interested in, or capable of, the core skill of telling a good story.

Man of Honour
Proper writing. Proper characters. Visual effects to support the story, not the other way around. A good show comes from good writing, the dross we've been seeing over the last few years shows that the likes of Kurtzman, JJ Abrams, Rian Johnson, Kathleen Kennedy, Akiva Goldman, etc are all in it for the money and self-aggrandizment. They are not interested in, or capable of, the core skill of telling a good story.
I also recall that when B5 started the writers had a five season arc planned. So the story had a direction from start to finish.

JRS

JRS

Soldato
And said Cardassian is played by Marc Alaimo, before he took the role of Dukat in DS9. I believe fanon linked Macet (in the above vid) to Dukat as family members.

It's the turn in the chair that Picard does to put the button on his promise to Macet that gets me. Words to the effect of "we know what you're doing, if I wanted to I could have taken us to war and neither of us wants that, but be warned - we're watching", then turns his back.

Absolutely pitch perfect.

Back
Top Bottom