• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

New to overclocking, got the wrong idea or have I messed something up? (3600X)

Associate
Apologies if this is a stupid question and been asked before but I struggled to find anything that answered my question.

I recently decided to try my hand at overclocking my CPU (3600X). After watching many videos and reading many tutorials, I finally went for it.

I managed to get a stable 4.2 Ghz all core @ 1.275v

I used Cinebench and Prime95 to stress test and all seemed okay, reaching the 4.2 Ghz and sitting around 65c. I then loaded up Warzone and I'm only hitting around 3.9 Ghz on one or two cores the rest are around 2.4 - 2.6 Ghz.

Is that normal? I thought by manually overclocking it would run at 4.2 Ghz all the time or at least under load.

My windows power plan is set to ultimate and the minimum processor state is at 100%.

Have I just got the wrong end of the stick or have I messed something up?

Associate
OP
What GPU do you have? As mentioned above. If the game doesn't need it, it won't clock that high. So if you have ran a few stress tests you should be good.
I have a RTX 2070.
I thought once you overclocked the CPU, it ran at that frequency constantly. I'm guessing that's not the case and I'm being a bit of a plonker :confused:

Back
Top Bottom