New to pc building, have I made the right choices?

Associate
Hi, I’ve never done any sort of pc building but my son saved up a whole year (he’s 16) for a gaming pc and the prebuilt ones were overpriced for their components. I didn’t want him to be disappointed so I decided to built it with him, our components will be listed below, we have zero pc experience but I’m pretty quick on the uptake so watching a ton of builds on YouTube... do you think we’ve made good choices and also do you think the build will go together ok?

Associate
OP
AMD Ryzen 7 3700x
Wraith rgb cooler (stock)
MSI X570 gaming edge WiFi
Gigabyte wind force oc x3 RTX 2070s
WD black 256gb ssd m.2
WD velociraptor 1tb hdd
SeaSonic focus gx 750 80+ gold fully modular psu
Gamemax F15 mesh a rgb pc gaming case
Corsair vengeance rgb pro 2x8gb DDR4

still debating which thermal compound to use and which monitor to get. Any tips or insight on building the pc or how we did on the components would be greatly appreciated

Soldato
Building a PC with your son will be a fantastic experience for the both of you, I'm sure you'll have a lot of fun and learn a lot in the process!

What exactly does your son intend to do with his PC?

Gaming is a given, but does he want to stream or edit videos? Perhaps something similar that might be system intensive?

Do you need a monitor and keyboard/mouse? If not which monitor do you have (exact model)?

If you can give us a maximum budget someone will surely be able to point you in the right direction with a parts list. Yours is actually pretty decent compared to most first timers but I can spot a couple of areas which can be improved upon.

Man of Honour
Have you already purchased the parts?

Yes it will all go together

Youtube have loads of videos on pc building.

Read the motherboard manual thourally a lot of people skip threw it.

Associate
OP
He wants it for gaming and VR with probably some streaming once he gets the extra money together for a camera/lighting/mic set up... He’s got a Keyboard already, got to get a mouse still. Only got £250 left in the budget atm so don’t know whether to get a cheaper monitor now or save a bit longer and use his tv in the meantime, tv is 55in Panasonic ambilight, think it’s only 60hz though, happy to take any advice!

Associate
OP
Have you already purchased the parts?

Yes it will all go together

Youtube have loads of videos on pc building.

Read the motherboard manual thourally a lot of people skip threw it.
Yes the parts have been purchased, we were on a budget so a few of them are second hand but the motherboard, psu, ram and graphics card are new

Soldato
He wants it for gaming and VR with probably some streaming once he gets the extra money together for a camera/lighting/mic set up... He’s got a Keyboard already, got to get a mouse still. Only got £250 left in the budget atm so don’t know whether to get a cheaper monitor now or save a bit longer and use his tv in the meantime, tv is 55in Panasonic ambilight, think it’s only 60hz though, happy to take any advice!

With that build a nice 1440P Freesync 144hz + screen would be worth saving for, you're not far off actually at £250 and you can get some fantastic mice for under or around £30. Using the TV for games is a great idea mind you, but if he wants to play competitive PvP stuff something near-field with high refresh and low latency will be a benefit to him.

I would focus on Freesync as modern Nvidia cards will work with it, the same isn't true about AMD working with G-Sync. So going forward you'll have more options available should you decide to upgrade down the line.

Associate
OP
With that build a nice 1440P Freesync 144hz + screen would be worth saving for, you're not far off actually at £250 and you can get some fantastic mice for under or around £30. Using the TV for games is a great idea mind you, but if he wants to play competitive PvP stuff something near-field with high refresh and low latency will be a benefit to him.

I would focus on Freesync as modern Nvidia cards will work with it, the same isn't true about AMD working with G-Sync. So going forward you'll have more options available should you decide to upgrade down the line.
Will go and take a look at that one now, it wasn’t on my radar so that’s awesome :) won’t hurt for him to use his tv for a bit till he saves up the rest. I know the motherboard isn’t the best out there but I’m hoping it’s good enough lol, its pretty nerve wracking trying to choose parts so many choices!

Soldato
Will go and take a look at that one now, it wasn’t on my radar so that’s awesome :) won’t hurt for him to use his tv for a bit till he saves up the rest. I know the motherboard isn’t the best out there but I’m hoping it’s good enough lol, its pretty nerve wracking trying to choose parts so many choices!

It's not the best X570 in the world but it certainly isn't going to be a genuine detriment to your lads setup, personally I'd have bought a good B450 for around £100 or a B550 for around £150. Something like the Mortar Max of both the B450 and B550 range for example, it'd have been money saved you could put elsewhere. For an X570 at around the £200 range the Gigabyte Elite or MSI Tomahawk would have been superior purchases. Depending on how much you paid for it and if you bought your motherboard local and/or it's easy to return I'd actually suggest doing so, it'd allow you to buy a nice new monitor outright with the savings while also getting an essentially superior motherboard.

You really should have signed up here and asked earlier as we'd have been able to help much more! :p

Regardless, as I mentioned earlier given you're doing this for the first time and have the initiative to not only build yourself but source both new and second hand components I think you've actually done quite a good job compared to 95% of what I've seen from people trying similar.

Associate
OP
It's not the best X570 in the world but it certainly isn't going to be a genuine detriment to your lads setup, personally I'd have bought a good B450 for around £100 or a B550 for around £150. Something like the Mortar Max of both the B450 and B550 range for example, it'd have been money saved you could put elsewhere. For an X570 at around the £200 range the Gigabyte Elite or MSI Tomahawk would have been superior purchases. Depending on how much you paid for it and if you bought your motherboard local and/or it's easy to return I'd actually suggest doing so, it'd allow you to buy a nice new monitor outright with the savings while also getting an essentially superior motherboard.

You really should have signed up here and asked earlier as we'd have been able to help much more! :p

Regardless, as I mentioned earlier given you're doing this for the first time and have the initiative to not only build yourself but source both new and second hand components I think you've actually done quite a good job compared to 95% of what I've seen from people trying similar.
Thank you, I didn’t find this forum until I’d purchased everything unfortunately, would def have come and got some advice first... I did watch a ton of YouTube videos I think I’ve got Linus tech tips coming out of my ears at this point it’s good to know I didn’t totally balls it up though :) I paid around £180 on amazon for the X570 I just realised I’m going to need a fair whack of internet cable too, any idea what ratings I should look for? Never bought it before

Soldato
Thank you, I didn’t find this forum until I’d purchased everything unfortunately, would def have come and got some advice first... I did watch a ton of YouTube videos I think I’ve got Linus tech tips coming out of my ears at this point it’s good to know I didn’t totally balls it up though :) I paid around £180 on amazon for the X570 I just realised I’m going to need a fair whack of internet cable too, any idea what ratings I should look for? Never bought it before

Your mobo comes with wifi (wireless network connection) so it should be absolutely fine without your running wire.

If there's issues after you've built it and tried connecting it to your router/modem look into solutions, but don't preempt problems in that regard or you'll run a never ending race.

Soldato
MSI X570 gaming edge WiFi

WD black 256gb ssd m.2
WD velociraptor 1tb hdd
That board is rather crappy for the price with £100 B450 board level CPU VRM:
https://www.kitguru.net/components/...0-vrm-temperature-analysis-luke-deep-dive/11/
After shining in B450 boards MSI basically grabbed consumer scamming torch carrier role from Asus and Gigabyte.
B550 board would have given better VRMs for cheaper.
Or just that MSI B450 board with proper bang for the buck.
Which would have saved money into proper size SSD.

Games are becoming serious bloatware.
https://www.tweaktown.com/news/7070...e-requires-colossal-100gb-of-space/index.html
Yuo don't want to run such games from old spinning rust.

Associate
OP
Your mobo comes with wifi (wireless network connection) so it should be absolutely fine without your running wire.

If there's issues after you've built it and tried connecting it to your router/modem look into solutions, but don't preempt problems in that regard or you'll run a never ending race.
Kiddos bedroom is at the opposite end on the house to the router so connection is a bit sketchy there, don’t want him dropping signal in a game, although it is a bit better since we upgraded our router... we’re quite rural so not great internet

Soldato
You have picked this: WD black 256gb ssd m.2 and a mechanical WD velociraptor 1tb hdd.

Games for example COD Warzone use I think now 250Gb so you'll be using the mechanical HDD for all your games you need to get an SSD, with prices of SSDs now there's no need not to get a bigger one ideally at least 1tb and use that as your main storage.

WD Blue 1tb is recommended on here a lot I think about £100. Save the money that you were going to spend for the 256gb ssd and the velociraptor and put it to that. :)

Edit: Just seen in the thread you've already bought everything :- Can't you send them back for a refund these items?

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom