New to pc gaming

Soldato
How many gamers need 10Gb LAN though ?

How many gamers need even gigabit LAN? The thing is it's not the pure gamers who need 10 Gb but those who do work as well as game. Architects, engineers, researchers, and many more. Those who have servers / NAS boxes and the like. The thing is, 10 Gb Ethernet gives you about the speed of a local drive, so it makes sense to keep your precious data on a separate box where it's safer. And maybe they have more than one workstation, in which case having their data centralised on a NAS / server makes even more sense.

Also you don't need pcie 4.0 for capture cards either, as you can get them in USB format,

Maybe, but it's nice to have the choice, isn't it?

Soldato
How many gamers need even gigabit LAN? The thing is it's not the pure gamers who need 10 Gb but those who do work as well as game. Architects, engineers, researchers, and many more. Those who have servers / NAS boxes and the like. The thing is, 10 Gb Ethernet gives you about the speed of a local drive, so it makes sense to keep your precious data on a separate box where it's safer. And maybe they have more than one workstation, in which case having their data centralised on a NAS / server makes even more sense.

Maybe, but it's nice to have the choice, isn't it?

His opening post says he wants a gaming pc, so I am going to assume he is not using it for work stuff.

As for capture cards I don't think they even need pcie 3.0 x 16. Ones like the Elgato 4K60 PRO only need a pcie x4 slot.

Soldato
But they still drop the GPU slot to x8.

Depends on what board you are using and what other components are installed. Some boards have 3 x pcie 3.0 x16 slots. So you could use the 3rd one for a capture card if needed without affecting the top slot, as you would be getting lanes from the chipset. So on the Asus Z490 XII Hero for example, as long as you don't have 2 x M.2 SSD's installed then you are fine. I am not saying he should go intel by the way, just saying that the lack of pcie 4.0 isn't a big deal. If it was my money it would go to AMD.

Man of Honour
Any ideas what to get?
You don't want to spending lots something like a 1650 super Would do.

There is a b grade 1650 super in the b grade section at overclockers which I think you could get for £120 if you call them up and make an offer.

B grade items only have 90 day warrenty.

https://www.overclockers.co.uk/b-gr...ddr6-pci-express-graphics-card-bg-02k-zt.html

MSI are doing cashback promotion on certain motherboard and ryzen cpu , take a look.

https://uk.msi.com/Promotion/back-to-school-2020#AMD-Motherboard

Last edited:
Associate
OP

Well I've got all part exc
Well I got all parts apart from the graphics card which I can't decide on

Back
Top Bottom