New to pc, need some advice please

Associate
I have an asus tuf gaming x-570 plus motherboard which has a 8+4 cpu power connector but my psu only has a 8pin cpu power cable, I've read a lot of forums saying it's fine to use just the 8pin and not the 4pin as long as I'm not doing any extreme over clocking, however I've tried enabling XMP settings in the motherboard BIOS to get my RAM speeds from 2133mhz to 3600mhz but the first and only time I tried this my pc turned off and wouldnt turn back on so I had to take the "flat battery" (like I said I'm new) out of the motherboard to get it to work again.. does anyone know if it's actually safe to use enable XMP without using the extra 4pin power cable.. or know a good 8+4 pin PSU that will fit in a cooler master masterbox MB511 case

Thankyou for any help or advice

Associate
What's the make and name of your power supply, is it a 650Watt or 750 watt rated? ]
Xmp doesn't really draw that much power in comparison to your cpu and gpu.
But unless you are overclocking in, your case that sounds unlikely, the 8pin is more then adequate for normal use.
If you give us more details we can help you out.
But I would double check your connections with the cables, and can you tell me what Ram you have, as Asus have a list of verified memory that works with their motherboards

Associate
OP
Hi thanks for the reply, this is my RAM :

Corsair VENGEANCE LPX 16GB (2x 8GB) DDR4 3600

And my PSU is a :

650W EVGA SuperNOVA 650 G5, Full Modular 80PLUS Gold, SLI/CrossFire, Single Rail, 54.1A, 135mm Fan, ATX PSU

All I wanted to do is turn on XMP to give it that little boost to get my ram speeds running to what they're supposed to run at, if that even classes as overclocking.. as I said I'm new to pc gaming/building

Back
Top Bottom