1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New Toys! - Sony MRC1K + Backpack (Lots of Pics)

Discussion in 'Photography & Video' started by Dangerous, 12 Apr 2010.

1. Dangerous

Capodecina

Well I'm off to WRC Portugal in May and my normal Portabrace camera bag wont get through hand luggage so I bought one that will just. Although its a little bigger than I thought its still cool!

[​IMG]

It will also fit a 17" laptop in the back of the bag but I plan to put a ION2 netbook when they are released.

[​IMG]

Fits everything in perfectly!
    [​IMG]

Tis a bit big :D
    [​IMG]

My Next purchase for the Rally and other things is a solid state recorder for my Sony HVR-Z1E. As this camera is tape based it used to take hours to get all the footage off tape onto the PC for editing.

Now all I have to do is remove the CF and copy the files onto my PC - Having hours of processing time saved.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Then I needed some decent CF cards so I purchased:

[​IMG]

Sandisk ones will be used mainly but transcend is there for back reasons. They will give me about 150mins per 32GB

[​IMG]

2 sets of CF readers and Sony Pro Duo for 2 other HD cameras I have.

[​IMG]

To give you an idea of the tapes I've used here is most of them and they are about £10 per tape. There is about 50 tapes there so the MRC1K over time will save me some cash and a hell of alot of time!

2. Sirrel Squirrel

Sgarrista

Pretty nifty, what format does that MRC record to?

Also £10 a tape! What's wrong with the Sony Premium DV ones at about £2 a tape?

Last edited: 12 Apr 2010
  3. Dangerous

Capodecina

AVI - AVCHD which is then converted to Cineform AVI.

The HDV63 are wetdry media so it doesnt leave crap on your head. I dont plan to buy more tapes because they will only be there if the MRC1K footage fails some how. I'll be reusing my old tapes and once hope the older tapes will go into a loop.

4. Sirrel Squirrel

Sgarrista

Ah cool, although if you get that new version of Premiere you can skip the Cineform step :p

5. Dangerous

Capodecina

I'll probably keep Cineform as it has lots of cool features like FirstLight.

6. Rojin

Soldato

Very nice, I commend you on getting hold of a backup that conforms to flight luggage sizes, I did the same for a camera bag. Like me though I almost guarantee that you will be stood in the check-in queue watching people with blatantly oversized hand luggage get away with it...! Sods law though if I tried it would end in tears! :)

7. Sirrel Squirrel

Sgarrista

That is pretty cool, a bit like the Red software, think I might have to invest in the up to date Cineform at some point rather than using the older version I found :p

8. Dangerous

Capodecina

Yeah I have a purchased licence of NeoHD and V5 has loads of other stuff:

9. ringo747

Sgarrista

Does that CF recorder run alongside the tape i.e. dual recording or can you only use one or the other?

10. Dangerous

Capodecina

Yeah you can run both or just the MRC1K.

I run both for backup reasons.

11. ringo747

Sgarrista

Would be great knowing that you have two copies recording together - must be great for backups.

Do you archive all the tapes but use the CF cards for edit?

Do you have dual readouts about time remaining? I take it you can record to the memory card while changing the tape?

12. Dangerous

Capodecina

Before I'd only ever use a tape once so have 50 or 60 brand new tapes with only 1 hour use. So now I'm reusing them in a cycle, I don’t even look at the tapes. I Confirm I have the data on the CF card and then after the project is finished the tape will go back of the library.

Yes I edit the M2T files directly in CS5. Yeah I have 64 mins per tape and 240mins on a 32GB CF so changing the tape twice per CF card. I think you can change the tape without stopping the CF recording but I don’t bother.

13. ringo747

Sgarrista

Sounds really handy that. It definitely would speed up the workflow I'd imagine. How long does it take you to load up the files onto the PC?

I take it the file formats are the same capturing via firewire or copying from CF card?

Do you have to click record on camcorder and the unit or are they both in sync?

14. Dangerous

Capodecina

The MRC1K is the BEST EVER! For example if I was just filming on tape it would of took me 5 hours to get the footage onto the PC. Now with the MRC1K the footage is there within 10-15mins via the Sony software.

MRC1K creates files in M2T, MPEG Transport. If you connect the camera via firewire it would depend on the host software. Adobe would be MPEG but MAC would be AVI.

I just record normally via the camera record button there isnt any setting up via menus, just plug in and go. Didnt need to change anything to my 5 year old camera.

15. ringo747

Sgarrista

That does sound class. I don't do enough stuff to merit the need for speeding things up but the dual recording for backup sounds great.

Going forward would it be an option to burn all your raw M2T files to bluray for archiving or do you just backup your finished projects and discard the source stuff?

16. Dangerous

Capodecina

When I have finished a project its moved from my editing PC to my Windows Home Server with folder duplication switched on.

I also use Nero Back up and Burn. This will let me span the massive project (100-200GB)over bluray discs.

17. ringo747

Sgarrista

I think long term I'd prefer to use something like a NAS box to backup all my source files but this would take so much space eventually. No point backing up the end project and the source. All decisions but ultimately I have no money to afford anything other than what I already have!

18. Dangerous

Capodecina

I did/do have a NAS and they were too slow copying 200GB of data across the network. My WHS machine gets 50-80mb/s so eats up the files. Reason why I move everything on to there is I can get at the footage very quickly and the Blurays are only if my WHS died.

19. ringo747

Sgarrista

You have the thing well sorted anyways. Nice setup.

The Z1 you have can you capture at 1920x1080 or just the 1440x1080 HDV resolution?

20. Dangerous

Capodecina

HDV 1440*1080 with PAR 1.33. Export all my YouTube clips @ 1920*1080 with PAR 1