New vs Used

Associate
Curious what most people tend to do when purchasing bikes?
I'm in the position where I'm after a new MTB for XC/Trail use and have an offer of a 2016 Scott Genius 710+ in good condition(expected wear) for 1k vs something brand new along the lines of the Canyon Neuron AL 6.

Part of me wants a brand new bike but on the other hand I wouldn't indulge in spending 4k on a bike so do I go for the used model to get the better bike?

Soldato
I ended up buying my 2nd MTB new as I just couldn't shake the feeling of worry that i'd end up buying a bike that had either been in a big accident or abused and may have frame issues.

If i'm going to be heading downhill on rocks at 30mph i'd like to be as confident as possible that my bike will stay in one piece beneath me.

Road bike on the other hand i had no concerns buying used. Go figure..

Associate
Carbon MTB would lean towards new, out of fear of hidden frame cracks/crash-damage. Ally, I guess it depends on how well maintained you think the bike has been, as it's arguably easier to inspect the welds for cracks... if it's 2nd hand from a shop, then possible, i guess, but 2nd hand from a random on eBay, personally, probably not unless it had a load of receipts for upkeep.

I like to think I look after my bikes, cleaning them after each ride, lubing, occasionally stripping down bits to re-grease, but there's still wear and tear. Are there receipts for the past owner taking it to a shop to service? If they're doing it themselves, then what evidence/receipts are there for replaced components BB, headset bearings, fork service parts, etc.

Just thinking that I don't get out on the bike half as much as I'd like, but I've still gone through a couple BBs and the odd bearing in the last couple years, not to mention brake pads and a few tyres... And, on my previous 2x10 bike I damaged the rear derraileur so swapped it over to a 1x11 setup. This is all part of MTB ownership/upkeep - so I'd want to see proof of that when buying a decent 2nd hand bike, that I'm effectively putting my life/health in when chucking myself down a rocky steep descent.

Otherwise, factor in the cost of a decent service, some new parts (probably a BB) ontop of the 2nd hand price... e.g. a local bike shop charges about £100 for full bike strip down, service and rebuild. Plus £35 for fork service and £15 for shock service, plus parts... So, probably factor in £200 ontop of the used price for peace of mind, if there's no proof of recent service?

Saying this... I guess it depends on what riding you're wanting to do. If it's a mtb for cruising canal paths, the odd ride on a bridleway or trail center blues, then I'd probably be more ok with 2nd hand. If you know you're going to be leaving the ground with drop-offs or jumps, then probably new...

Could always try somewhere like paulscycles that tend to offer past seasons bikes for a decent discount? Or leisurelakes, Evans, etc. with a 0% finance?

Back
Top Bottom