New wheels thoughts?

Soldato
would need to remove arch gap (which would most likely ruin handling completely) for them to pass as acceptable, but still the style of the wheel looks too new for the car.

mjt

mjt

Soldato
the thing is that the style 37s really suit the car.
LMs will look even better, but it will need lowering, which is even more money and hassle.

not really worth it if you're saving up for something better

Man of Honour
OP
would need to remove arch gap (which would most likely ruin handling completely) for them to pass as acceptable, but still the style of the wheel looks too new for the car.

The style of wheel predates my car :confused:

Or are BBS wheels now owned by the VAG Hatchback Scene Enthusiasts, along with Thule roofracks and fake German plates? ;)

Soldato
LM's are a modernised version of a classic style.

Your thread asked for thoughts, I gave mine. Dry your eyes, no need to spit the dummy out and whine about VAG stuff which has no relevance.

Go ahead and buy them, I look forward to the pics ;)

Man of Honour
OP
Well, if Fox ends up in a position of being middle aged,married with kids and bills yet still has money to burn on an M5, good luck to him!

Sadly, for the rest of us........ :(

I have no idea what the future holds but I'd be dissapointed if I made it to 40 years of age and didn't have enough money for a 10 grand car.

Associate
BBS LM's suit E46 best IMO.

If you're interested, I have a set of genuine 19" LM's from my M3. One of them is buckled (front) but BBS still offer (so I'm told) the replacement wheel offer so you could get a new one cheaper on exchange and have a full set. Could be a much cheaper option as good 2nd hand LM's are very rare and still quite expensive. Would need to check offset for you (they aren't std M3 offset).

Watch out for the nasty reps. Some are VERY good copies but with horror stories attached to them.

Associate
I think they will look a bit too much on a standard car. EDIT : Posted a bit late there. :)
If you were going to do slight subtle modifications I think they would go well - but as you are not, it'll just look like any other old BMW on new wheels. :)

Man of Honour
OP
Subtle modifications such as what? The only reason I've not really done any is because all the subtle modifications popular with the E39 crowd are factory fit on mine.

Wouldn't mind some new mirrors but they fail the so what test at £350 a pair. It's going to be getting a new exhuast soon hopefully.

I'm really torn as I do like my current wheels as well. Polishing the car today and they do look good although one of the rears needs a refurb I think.

Associate
[TW]Fox;14938986 said:
Subtle modifications such as what? The only reason I've not really done any is because all the subtle modifications popular with the E39 crowd are factory fit on mine.

Got any pics of a lowered one with the front BMW badge off, side rubbing strips colour coded and the washers deleted from the bumper? I know it sounds a bit anal too, but I'd change the reg plate to one without the GB sign on and have the text totally centralised. Also make sure its stuck on, rather than bolted on - these little things can make a hell of a difference. :)

Man of Honour
OP
Got any pics of a lowered one with the front BMW badge off, side rubbing strips colour coded and the washers deleted from the bumper?

Colour coded rubbing strips are standard on the SE model and would make mine look like an SE with Sport bumpers. All cars with Xenons have washers, not sure why I'd want to delete them :confused:

Associate
Agree with this. Currently wheels look classy and sporty, the new ones look very ***** and cheap IMO.

Nooooo! Genuine BBS LM's are works of art and in the flesh, they look great. Also, quite rare and certainly not cheap. If you can find them (you used to only be able to get them new from Germany, or now Japan IIRC), they'll cost roughly £3,000 for a set, maybe more now with exchange rates.

A3.jpg

Not the best picture of them on my M3 but they are superbly finished wheels.

Fox, offer still stands on these as above!

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom