New York 2020

Associate
You don't go to NYC to enjoy a nice hotel. Prioritise your money elsewhere!

indeed... its decent to stay in a nice hotel, but at the end of the day you will only sleep there.

OP - if you want to take your misses out in NYC, book a table to Beauty and Essex, highly rated and the prices are good to

Caporegime
Ok if luxury is £5k plus then I'm thinking of budget trip then haha no chance can afford those prices.

I would expect to pay £200 a night to stay in Manhattan and then £500 for flight for economy and that wouldn't be luxury, it would be what i would budget for.

im on decent money and i find them prices to be unrealistic for most people, a lot of people dont care about flying in premium economy, I think Housey is just loaded ;)

It's only a 7 hour flight, I did the whole trip without getting out of my seat.

Man of Honour
I made the point right at the start about perspective of luxury being different and why a budget helps. The OP said he also wanted luxury so surely it is fair to assume a flight upgrade from economy was on his mind. If it was there is 2k spent. Then a luxury hotel, perhaps a suite there is 350-500 quid a night.

I can only speak for me but I did try to put context on it. I’m flying Upper there and back and 5 nights and I’m over 6k for that. I’m not close to what it could be and when I see I don’t want to look at budget and super luxury I don’t think anything I presented missed that brief. Because you have zero experience of it doesn’t not make it invalid surely?

Ive zero idea who the OP is or his budget, it’s why I asked for one :)

Soldato
FWIW I had 3 nights in NYC, including flights and the Hilton right next to WTC, spending money, some nice restaurant visits and everything else you'd need and it was about £1500 in total.

Flights - £400ish each
Hotel - £125ish per night
Spending money - £600ish

We also managed 3 nights in Boston, 3 nights in NYC and 3 nights in DC (including flights, transport between cities and hotels) for £1750 (excluding spending money).

All of these were in UK school holidays as well so pricer times.

Associate
Going to NY for third time next month. Hotels are generally expensive, even the not so nice ones. Someone in here has already suggested this hotel, we have booked the Distrikt hotel. It was by far the best quality for the price we could find and it’s in quite a central location. It was just over £1k for 6 nights.

Touristy/ site seeing stuff is actually quite cheap in NY. Food and drink is expensive especially when factoring in tipping culture.

None of what Housey has said is ‘wrong’ but I completely disagree about spending that sort of money on a flight just for a fancier seat. I just don’t think the price is worthy of the experience and money could be better spent elsewhere.

We are planning on going to a 2 Michelin star Italian restaurant just at the bottom of Central Park. It’s called Marea. They do a 4 course menu for $109 per head so plus drinks and tip probably looking at $300ish bill. It was the best value ‘top end’ place we could find when researching so might be worth treating your other half to a nice meal there.

Man of Honour
I completely disagree about spending that sort of money on a flight just for a fancier seat. I just don’t think the price is worthy of the experience and money could be better spent elsewhere.

I get that, I have made the point many times. We are all different be it spending power, what's important to us, what we prioritise our own personal experiences in our life and what we look for. However the whole thread's premise was:

"What kind of budget do you think I need for not a super luxurious trip but don't want to look budget either. She always thinks I'm a cheapskate so need to surprise her."

What we now have is not super luxurious, it's just some normal airline tickets and some normal hotels. I think I was the only person who actually followed the brief given :D

So if you want to go to Keens (as a name plucked), one of several of the well known steak house on a whim, what might a top steak cost you?

http://www.keens.com/OurMenus/Dinner/

It is EASY to spend big without trying, but if you are watching pennies then there are ways you can sample stuff with planning.

The other thing with NYC is you can eat epic food for 30 dollars, you just need to know where.

Last edited:
Soldato
If you are going to pay for premium seats, look into flying BA1 from City Airport.

Great little service which has you clearing US immigration in Ireland (makes getting off the plane in NY a lot quicker).

Unless you regularly fly on private jets, it’s a fairly unique experience.

Caporegime
If you are going to pay for premium seats, look into flying BA1 from City Airport.

Great little service which has you clearing US immigration in Ireland (makes getting off the plane in NY a lot quicker).

Unless you regularly fly on private jets, it’s a fairly unique experience.

^^^this

also you can end up with the banker shuttle only being half full... there are only like 30-something seats to being with and if it ends up with just a dozen of you flying then you get pretty decent service from the crew

no faffing at immigration when you land in the states, get to breeze through in Ireland + city airport is much less of a faff too, easy to get to

Soldato
^^^this

also you can end up with the banker shuttle only being half full... there are only like 30-something seats to being with and if it ends up with just a dozen of you flying then you get pretty decent service from the crew

no faffing at immigration when you land in the states, get to breeze through in Ireland + city airport is much less of a faff too, easy to get to

where do you book this?

Back
Top Bottom