New York 2020

Soldato
When I went in 2016 we did a 5 night stay for £1500 including flights from Heathrow, the hotel was just off Times Square and was quite nice. The room wasn't big but it was very comfortable and we weren't planning on spending much time in there so didn't need anything amazing.

Spending money I think we took about $1000 and that covered all the attractions we went to see, all our meals and snacks and also some shopping to.

If you're planning on doing lots of sightseeing/visiting tourist spots then there are passes you can buy that do discounts depending on how many you plan to do so those are worth looking into (over paying for each one individually).

As mentioned Taxi's from the airports are something like $50 and you have to pay the bridge tolls and tip the driver as well. We took a train from and too the airport and it was absolutely fine and only cost $20 for the both of us.

We walked everywhere for the most part as the experience of the city is seeing it as you walk through, however you can get a day pass for the metro that is really cheap, handy if you want to cross large chunks of the city and again much cheaper than yellow cabs.

Finally if you're into food there are some absolutely amazing places to visit for food. There are a number of threads in La Cuisine that are worth checking out from people who have done reports on their trips.

Soldato
Show me your travel agent peerzy haha

It's all fairly easy.

Skyscanner for flights, monitor prices and play around with any dates.
Hotels.com and the usual other websites for booking hotels, draw up a shortlist of areas you want to stay, read reviews and watch out for any massive price drops and be prepared to book.

We probably spend around 2 months a year in the US and recently I've been able to average £120 per night (and this always includes 'expensive' big cities like NYC, Boston, DC, LA, Vegas, Seattle, San Fran etc....). Flights are always harder for me due to needing to go in school holidays as my wife is a teacher but it's all about planning and monitoring the prices.

Soldato
OP
Thanks everyone for your valued inputs. I've changed the op as I've realised there's no way I can afford anything but budget.

I'll have a good read through and jot down anything important. This thread will be going on a long time haha 2 years is a long time.

Soldato
The Wife and I went in 2015, stayed at the Hotel Marrakech in Harlem - 103rd Broadway; it was cheap enough for our budget, but very basic - a double room with en suite.

It's only a 5 minute walk through to Central Park, but you are very much passing through some questionable looking areas - not terrible mind; just a bit like a council estate in Swindon :D

Our trip all in was about 3.5K, we stayed for a week, and did most of the tourist things - though sadly, nothing at night; partly due to the area we stayed (there were shootings with fatalities a few blocks up!), but also due to the weather - we were literally drained by the end of a full day.

It's an amazing city though, really friendly people, just no [or hardly any] public toilets - other than ones in Central Park. So bear that in mind - it also pays to purchase a week long metro ticket and pre-book an all in one ticket for attractions.

The Staten Island ferry ride if free, and has epic hot dogs on board!

Oh, and renting a Mustang and taking it up into the north of the State was fine too :)

Soldato
Budget things to do when in New York

Visit the outside of the Friends Apartment in Greenwich. https://goo.gl/maps/ACJ5rAALs142

One that i missed out on which I wasn't impressed with was the Fire Station used in Ghostbusters. https://goo.gl/maps/TnCjWRssmkm

The High Line (raised park / walkway) https://goo.gl/maps/3AgDTas1xnG2 Nice walk across the west of New York down to the Trade Centre.

'Pebble Beach' in New Jersey https://goo.gl/maps/dKQEm5EkBvJ2 Simply for the views of Brooklyn Bridge and the business district.

As mentioned as well Central Park.

Flat Iron Building south of Times Square (didn't get the appeal of Times Square myself) https://goo.gl/maps/EwY3buNM7cU2

Guggenheim Museum (personal favourite of mine) https://goo.gl/maps/723kM3sBmiE2 Didn't think much of the exhibits but the building is stunning :cool: (£30 or so to get in though if i remember and take a walk around)

^^All free :p

Views - Trade Centre, Empire State and Rockefeller Centre all have passes to get to viewing decks. I got a Day and Night pass for the Rockefeller cos i heard the security guys in the other two are stricter and dont allow professional equipment up there. All of them do have scanners in place for obvious reasons though.

Flynyon as i mentioned previously ($499 per person for half hour in a chopper held in by a harness and no doors) Amazing experience but a bit pricey.

I took in a basketball game as well but doubt your missus would want that as a treat on her birthday!

I stayed at the Jewel Hotel https://goo.gl/maps/MPi2XWqTPbB2. Nothing overly fancy (think i had the view of an office block getting a refurb when i was there) but next to the Rockefeller (handy for the day / night pass) and quite central however if you walk places, you'll be walking for a while! Hotels with a view tend to be hotels with a pricetag to match though so you'll be looking at the more deluxe suites.

Spending money wise, I took £750 but brought back over £300 as I was mainly just buying food since I'd booked most activities in advance. I think all in I was just under £2500 but that was on my own. Bonus on the way back though i got upgraded to first class cos the tv wasn't working on the longer leg room seat!

Soldato
I've stayed in Jersey City and taken the subway into Downton when i went. A spacious studio with even cooking facilities was under £115ish a night between 2 ppl - Candlewood Suites. Subway pass for a week was cheap. The view across the river of the city skyline was amazing!

Soldato
We did 9 nights just over the thanksgiving / tree lighting i think in 2015.

Can't remember how much we paid for flights, but hotel was about £200 a night for a 4 star including breakfast.

Once you've sorted out flights and hotel, you need to start looking at things you want to do.

I think we saw a knicks game for £30 each, we saw a baseball game on a previous trip that was something silly like £6 a ticket (well worth it).

Also factor in cost of a weekly metro pass, and transport from the airport.

If you're sticking to a budget, then stay away from tourist areas like Times Square for eating as the prices are extortionately high. But there's plenty of places to eat on a budget.

Associate
We spent 4 nights in NY last year, rented an apartment using AirBnB. Definitely worth checking, we rented the "Whole Apartment" as I don't like the idea of sharing space with other randoms. It wasn't "that" expensive, I think around £75-£90 a night.

Soldato
9 nights in NY? :eek:

Was originally supposed to be 7, but then we found out the Rockefeller tree was being lit the day after we were originally leaving, and as we probably wouldn't go back during the winter again, we decided to extend.

Was a waste of time mind! It was so cold that night and so many people flock to see it lit that we couldn't get anywhere near it. Decided to abandon the plan, get a shake shack takeaway and go watch it at the hotel in the warmth! :D:D

Unlike the parade which stretches quite a few streets, the tree is a bit more tucked away, so unless you're queuing from about midday, you've got no chance of seeing it :(.

Back
Top Bottom