Newbie Alert - Upgrade advice please?

Associate
Hi all,

Probably going to ask questions that could either be completely stupid, or covered a lot but before I start buying things, changing things, I want to be very sure it's for the better and I'm not buying incompatible components, etc.

I have a 'hand-me-down' PC from my Brother who games quite avidly. The last time I logged onto Steam was 2012 (to give an indication of when I last used a 'gaming' PC) so that should explain some of the low specs!

Ethernet - dlg10028a (2gb)
Graphics - GeForce 7800 gt (I have an Asus DirectCU II but can't currently connect it as I don't have 1x12pin power connector or another 6pin connector)
Hdd - Hitachi oa38016 1tb
Psu - atrix 500t
Cpu fan - artic 64 freezer pro
Cpu - unable to see at the moment
Ram - kingston kvr400x64c3a/1g x 2
Board - gigabyte d33006

I know the RAM is shockingly low, but I think the MB I have has 4 RAM ports and being a (now) low-spec MB it can only take 1gb in each..!

I don't want to spend A LOT as I will likely not game all that often.

Any advice appreciated, looking for "budget gaming spec" type components.. But I am expecting to be told "you need a new Motherboard", which in turn will lead to "You need a new CPU", etc etc.

Thanks in advance,
Ben

Last edited:
Soldato
Hi and welcome to the forums :)

Need a little bit more info in order to help.

Firstly, what budget do you have to play with?

Secondly, download CPU-Z from here: https://www.cpuid.com/ and tell us the relevant cpu and motherboard information on tabs 1 and 3.

This will help us see what (if any) upgrade path there is for you with your existing gear.

Associate
OP
Thanks Ted!

No budget set, but wanted to get the most for my money as I'm hoping my brother is upgrading again (sure he said January!) so ideally just wanted to update a few components with what I've got already to see me through to stealing some of his bits.

But I have done a little bit of research (mainly as I don't understand it all as much as I'd like):

I can see that budget boards are £50+
Half-decent CPU will be £100+
Then I'd need a different type of RAM being a new board will be £80+ for 8gb? DDr3/4 for example?
A new CPU means a new CPU Cooling Fan - £30+?

So even with just those bits, I'd imagine nearly £300.

I'll download CPU-Z when I get home this evening to see what info it gives me.

Thanks again,
Ben

Soldato
@Over_Docker
ryzen will be your friend ! pick up a Ryzen 1400, mobo and 8GB ram for £350 odd

My basket at Overclockers UK:

Total: £342.48
(includes shipping: £10.50)

but graphics is really dependent on budget and how much you will game

sorry, just read youe hoping to update your current rig , my bad

Associate
yeah, looking at those specs I'd guess you're a little over a decade out of date, and unfortunately you're just on the wrong side of a plateau had this been a generation or so newer and you could have got away with throwing an ssd and new gpu in there, and you could have just about managed.

There's not a whole lot that can be reused there, so your options are to start from scratch. £500ish minimum, or if you're looking to spend as little as possible you can get a 3 or 4 year old 2nd hand office system and add a budget graphics card, which would get you a system for around £300.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom