1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Newbie Build

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by SneakyWhale, 5 Mar 2010.

1. SneakyWhale

Associate

Hello All,

Im new here so if I am clueless at points I apologise!!

This will be my first build and iv been putting together a bit of a spec today and hoped to get peoples opinions!! Bit of background, never overclocked before but really want to have a go, im a university student (so reasonably low budget) studying CAD, building PC for "general usage" light gaming and CAD (solidworks, NX and AutoCAD if it makes a difference)

So here is my proposed spec, opinons will be really helpful!!

Case: Antec Two Hundred Midi Tower Gaming Case
    Mobo: MSI 770-C45
    CPU: AMD*PHENOM II X2 550 - BLACK EDITION
    GPU: Sapphire ATI Raedon HD4850
    CPU Cooler: Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro v2
    PSU: OCZ StealthXStream 500W
    RAM: Kingston 4GB kit (2GBx2), DDR3 PC3-10600
    HDD: 1TB Samsung Spinpoint F3

Any suggestions or opinions appreciated!!

2. Kurisu Makise

Mobster

could do 2x 500gb f3 in raid ?
    instead of just the one..

3. SneakyWhale

Associate

What are the advantages?? I am considering a Linux dual boot for this system as well, would 2 HDD in raid make that easier?

4. Kurisu Makise

Mobster

5. SneakyWhale

Associate

Hmmm think I would get worried about the risk of data loss especially running quite heavy programmes like solidworks

6. Kurisu Makise

Mobster

you would use raid 1 then so if one drive fails the other keeps goin with none of your data lost. :)

7. Wingers

Associate

but then he would have to buy 3 hard drives and my assumption is that he does not have this luxury being a student and all =P

8. TheGTeam

Associate

I like the idea of the antec 200 as it has the sata drive built in. Not sure if you have managed to find any reviews as i am after a case with a sata dock and can only find this and the new coolermaster case

9. PermaBanned

Capodecina

Well what's your budget? What will you use it for? Is it just the base unit you want?

10. SneakyWhale

Associate

@Superewza:
    Budget is sub £500 with the less being spent the better but obviously more money if it will equal significantly better performance! As far as usage go's likely to be; general (internet, word, powerpoint etc), CAD and Gaming. and in that order!

I would like something I can overclock but it will be a first time thing so nothing too special!

@Miffy1991 & @Wingers:

3 hard drives is probably more than i would look at to begin with, I was looking at a single 1TB HDD because the CAD files im working with stack up space pretty quick!

11. Sultan of Ping

Gangster

RAID 1 only needs two hard drives; I think you'll be fine with just the one hard disk, especially at your pricepoint. Just make sure you backup to external media regularly!

12. SneakyWhale

Associate

Ok cool I think I will probably just stick with the single hard disk for now!

Found this RAM earlier which is about the same price as what i was looking at but i dont know if it will work the the mobo? any ideas?

13. SneakyWhale

Associate