1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Newbie.. need help on cheap upgrades

Discussion in 'New to PC gaming & upgrade advice' started by Thornjack, 27 May 2018.

1. Thornjack

Associate

hi all, complete newbie to upgrading pc’s.. I have a PC I bought around 5 yrs ago.. never really used it, but now I fancy getting back into things.. I have no idea whether to scrap it and start a fresh or whether i can get away by adding a few parts cheaply.. any help would be greatly appreciated.. spec is

CPU AMD FX 8320 viscera 32nn Tech 8 core 3.50 ghz

Ram 16 GB dual channel DD3 @ 799 nhz

Mother b MSI 970A G46 (MS 7693)

Graphics 2047 MD nvidia geforce GT640

Told you it was old.. thanks again

2. Spankme

Gangster

Welcome to the forums

What is your buget and at what resolution will you be playing games at?

3. Thornjack

Associate

Was only thinking £200 -£300 .. won’t be playing on highest resolution... just wanna play med res, no stress easy gaming :) if that makes sense..

4. orbitalwalsh

Capodecina

Would personally sell your core set up , ram should cover nice part of cost for new low-middle tier GPU which is still a lot better then your current .
    Low-mid entry Ryzen chip is miles better then FX core you have, have a look through YouTube for comparison videos using both older and news GPUs and you'll see

My basket at Overclockers UK:
    Total: £458.06 (includes shipping: £11.10) ​
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Food for though, AM4 socket will have a good lifespan as well

5. Mark1989

Capodecina

With that budget depending on your psu I'd just put it all on gpu. Pc will still do 1080p then at least.

200/300 quid is not enough with current prices to do a full change.

Look at a RX580 or nvidia 1060 gpu

6. Thornjack

Associate

Thanks guys much appreciated

7. Thornjack

Associate

I think I might bite the bullet.. purchase one for £500-£600... from here.. what should I sell my old one at to help fund it £150 to cheap / expensive? ... maybe purchase a titan dagger from here

8. orbitalwalsh

Capodecina

If your in no rush, could sell the older stuff first and see if that effort more or less your overall budget .
    If you need it quick then You'll have to sell afterwards and bits the bullet.
    Another option is to grab gtx 1050ti mean time and list your current core system, get a good price shift it on and grab Ryzen core components .. middle stop gap

Worth doing research on FX Vs Ryzen at all levels of GPU .