Newbie radiator screws question

Associate
I bought all the parts for my first ever custom loop this time last year. After putting it altogether outside of the PC, to satisfy myself that there were no leaks, I never did any more with it due to a back problem.

I'm now hoping to put it all together, bit by bit if my back allows! I am a bit concerned that the screws I am using to fix the fans and radiator to the case might ultimately damage the radiator, as there are no 'stops' to prevent the screws from going into the radiator if they are too long or overtightened.

The case is a Lian-Li PC 011D, radiator is a XSPC TX360 and the fans are 120mm Noctua Chromaxes - so they should be 25mm thick and the screws are 6-32 UNC screws, with a 30mm thread. The fans are in the main part of the case in a pull config with the radiator behind the side panel.

Should I be looking for some shorter 6-32 screws - these are the ones that came with the radiator....

Ta :D

Soldato
They won't be too long if they are used to mount fans, just don't overtighten the screws - as soon as they start resisting then stop.

If you are concerned then buy some washers to put between the head of the screw and the fan.

Associate
OP
Cheers @Disco_P - I just tightened them up by hand and stopped when I met resistance. Reading between the lines of your message, would I be right in assuming that washers wouldn't normally be required in this scenario?

Soldato
You should be good to go with those screws but best method is to attach a fan via one screw with the whole rad etc outside the case and the fan off to one side, then you can see how far the screw is going before you end up damaging anything.

Soldato
No, they aren't usually.

I use the exact same screws on my XSPC rad without any problems. You'll notice that the rad channels and fins are recessed within the housing.

Annoying that XSPC use UNC threading whereas everyone else seems to use standard ISO threading.

Soldato
If the screws came with the radiator
Then they should be correct
For a standard thickness fan
Radiators with no guard below the screw holes are a nuisance
But unless the water channel is
Directly below the screw hole
All you do is bend some fins
As a fellow back problem sufferer
I took 3 days of agony on my
Last build
Hopefully yours isn't as bad/painful

Soldato
Annoying that XSPC use UNC threading whereas everyone else seems to use standard ISO threading.
Pretty sure it's only Alphacool that use metric, and M3 feels too small to me.

XSPC, EK and Bitspower use 6-32. I think Thermaltake use 6-32, but I cannot lower myself to look at their disgusting tat to check.

Edit: Hardware Labs (and I presume by extension Corsair) use M4.

Back
Top Bottom