• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Next gen cards to consume up to 500 watts

Soldato
That will teach those mini itx and sff wannabes haha :D

can't wait for optimum tech to show how he cools a 12900k and rtx4090 on a single 240mm and zero airflow

Soldato
Yeah these cards aren't gonna be made for anything less than top-tier cooling, but I'm sure that mITX will be served well with the mid-range as normal :)

You would think so and yet sff and mini itx market is dominated by people trying to stick enthusiasts parts into the cases smaller than a game console and then claiming victory with 60c coolant and a month later complaining on r/watercooling asking why their tubes are warped and leaking

Associate
My next case will be made by Miele, and will fit entirely within the vacuum cleaner bag section. I think that should just about air cool a 500w card, and it's still mini-ITX.

Soldato
The only reason it consumes 500w is because it's clocked far too high. If AMD weren't a threat, then surely it would have a similar TDP to the 2080 Ti which was 250W? People still bought the 2080 Ti and we're happy with it.

It's your choice whether your future 4080 Ti consumes 500w. Feel free to downclock and undervolt it until it consumes 250w.

Yes it's stupid to do that if you paid money for it to fun at full speed, but if AMD weren't a threat, surely it would have operated at the much lower speed anyway.

Soldato
What has happened here? I thought the new generation of GPUs were supposed to be more efficient but it feels like power requirements are going up. 2 more generations and we will be up to 1kw GPUs at stock speed.

Soldato
And what are all these rumors of ridiculous performance gains, the figures being throw about like 2.7X just seem too good to be true

Soldato
The problem here is if the MCM AMD graphics card uses a pair of mainstream GPU chiplets,then at 400W~500W it doesn't look great for the mainstream. This is because mainstream graphics cards will get the worse binned GPU chiplets!

Soldato
The problem here is if the MCM AMD graphics card uses a pair of mainstream GPU chiplets,then at 400W~500W it doesn't look great for the mainstream. This is because mainstream graphics cards will get the worse binned GPU chiplets!

Leaks say only the 7900xt is MCM with all other cards being monolithic. In that regard if the 7900xt is 450w, then the monolithic cards should be well under that tdp with just a single die.

MCM GPU is expensive to manufacture and eats a lot of power apparently - it wil be a beastly card, but at this point can only serve the ultra enthusiast market, will be priced accordingly as it's bleeding edge tech with a bleeding edge price

Associate
With everyone looking to be more enviromentally friendly i'm not sure these guys are on the same page. Unless it's running a holodeck i'm not insterested in anything going higher power.

Soldato
Leaks say only the 7900xt is MCM with all other cards being monolithic. In that regard if the 7900xt is 450w, then the monolithic cards should be well under that tdp with just a single die.

MCM GPU is expensive to manufacture and eats a lot of power apparently - it wil be a beastly card, but at this point can only serve the ultra enthusiast market, will be priced accordingly as it's bleeding edge tech with a bleeding edge price

Say if that 7900XT is dual GPU chiplet,the single chiplet will be used for midrange graphics cards. This way you can develop one GPU to target both highend and midrange.

So I can still see mainstream graphics cards being around 200W~250W.

Soldato
I'd be happier if GPU advancement slowed down a bit to be honest. I liked the idea of skipping a generation.

If these leaks are true then we'll all need to upgrade every gen because game developers will Keep pushing the hardware in upcoming games.

Soldato
What has happened here? I thought the new generation of GPUs were supposed to be more efficient but it feels like power requirements are going up. 2 more generations and we will be up to 1kw GPUs at stock speed.

And they will be I'm sure, but the additional complexity of the next generation of GPU will most likely still mean they require more power. Ie, doesn't matter if the arch is 30% more efficient if the new top end GPUs have 60% more transistors. The end result would be more power required.

Soldato
They'll cost £2000 and come bundled with a PSU :cry:

Probably an aircon unit as well, you'll need it in the summer the 3090's bad enough as it is and I'm not even joking mine is power limited to 85% at present or the room turns into a hothouse

You won't have to run heaters in winter = lower electric bills

How do you work that one out?! 500w is 500w whether it comes via the gfx card or the electric heater

Last edited:
Soldato
Probably an aircon unit as well, you'll need it in the summer the 3090's bad enough as it is and I'm not even joking mine is power limited to 85% at present or the room turns into a hothouse

How do you work that one out?! 500w is 500w whether it comes via the gfx card or the electric heater

lower loss from 1 device over 2

Back
Top Bottom