• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Next gen cards to consume up to 500 watts

G J

G J

Associate
I have a 500w PSU that I've had since the mid to late 2000's and its still going and now they want a GPU that consumes more then my whole computer. :(

Man of Honour
I think the next gen high end cards will actually be quite low power consumption compared to todays Ampere and Navi cards.

Low power consumption is one of the reasons the next gen cards are taking the multi chip route.

Soldato
Not worried I won't be able to afford top tier graphics cards anyway. My budget is more for the 3070/6700xt range and I'll be shocked if next gens equivalent will be the 500w.

Soldato
And they will be I'm sure, but the additional complexity of the next generation of GPU will most likely still mean they require more power. Ie, doesn't matter if the arch is 30% more efficient if the new top end GPUs have 60% more transistors. The end result would be more power required.
So i need to seperate the two. Power effeiciency is going up but so is power consumptions (at least for the top end dies).

New sticker included with each new GPU? :)

grety.png

Caporegime
500W is too high for me, added with screen, speakers and the rest of my system it would rack up electricity bills to the point where my partner would flip out. I already get blamed for the bill lol

Gaming pc use next to no power when idle.

Plus if you are gaming for say 4 hours a day. At best you will be pulling 2kwh over such a session so that is 30p per day. Or £2 a week.

People greatly exaggerate electric costs.

The only things which are expensive to run using electric these days is stuff that's heating air or water.

Hair dryer, tumble dryer, kettle, electric shower, etc. These are the biggest consumers of electric.

TV's, PC's, lights, etc consume very little in comparison. A gaming monitor will consume very little in comparison to heating air or water.

Caporegime
I'd be happier if GPU advancement slowed down a bit to be honest. I liked the idea of skipping a generation.

If these leaks are true then we'll all need to upgrade every gen because game developers will Keep pushing the hardware in upcoming games.

Most people see zero benefit of running ultra settings anyway if they are online competitive gaming.

These days low is perfect for 1080p monitors. And a 3060 will be fine for many generations.

Medium for 1440p. Requires a 3070 and should be fine for many generations thanks to DLSs

High / ultra for 4k. Requires a 3080/3090 and again dlss is your friend here rather than running native.

Unless you are playing single player then you need higher settings as you will be moving around much more slower and interacting with the world a lot more as well as taking the time to look at it.

For example playing Battlefield online on a 64 player server I'd much rather play at medium and get the extra FPS even though I can get 120fps on ultra. My monitor is 240hz and high gets around 150-160fps. Medium is perfect. Can't tell any visual difference when you are constantly having things blowing up and bullets flying around you too busy trying to survive and kill.

Soldato
Most people see zero benefit of running ultra settings anyway if they are online competitive gaming.

These days low is perfect for 1080p monitors. And a 3060 will be fine for many generations.

Medium for 1440p. Requires a 3070 and should be fine for many generations thanks to DLSs

High / ultra for 4k. Requires a 3080/3090 and again dlss is your friend here rather than running native.

Unless you are playing single player then you need higher settings as you will be moving around much more slower and interacting with the world a lot more as well as taking the time to look at it.

For example playing Battlefield online on a 64 player server I'd much rather play at medium and get the extra FPS even though I can get 120fps on ultra. My monitor is 240hz and high gets around 150-160fps. Medium is perfect. Can't tell any visual difference when you are constantly having things blowing up and bullets flying around you too busy trying to survive and kill.

When I'm playing a shooter for fun, I just run everything ultra settings and have a blast on my TV with a controller.

When I'm trying to do my best, I will play on my monitor with mouse and keyboard, set resolution to 1440p, set textures to Ultra, set Anti Aliasing to Ultra and set everything else to Low and have Gsync on and lock the framerate to 143fps.

The idea is you want to keep resolution high to keep the image clean, then max out anti aliasing to prevent distracting artifacts and have textures maxed out so enemies stick out and then turn everything else to low. This means enemies will look high quality while the foliage, particle effects, smoke etc look low quality, so enemies will stand out and be easier to spot while high resolution and high anti aliasing keeps things clean and gsync keeps things smooth. This comes from my days of competitive gaming and you went every possible edge. With the new tools we have today, if I was still doing competitive gaming I'd probably also be using a black equalizer to adjust the image so enemies can't hide in dark spots and DSP for headphones that increase the volume of enemy footsteps so they can't sneak around

Last edited:
Caporegime
When I'm playing a shooter for fun, I just run everything ultra settings and have a blast on my TV with a controller.

When I'm trying to do my best, I will play on my monitor with mouse and keyboard, set resolution to 1440p, set textures to Ultra, set Anti Aliasing to Ultra and set everything else to Low and have Gsync on and lock the framerate to 143fps.

The idea is you want to keep resolution high to keep the image clean, then max out anti aliasing to prevent distracting artifacts and have textures maxed out so enemies stick out and then turn everything else to low. This means enemies will look high quality while the foliage, particle effects, smoke etc look low quality, so enemies will stand out and be easier to spot while high resolution and high anti aliasing keeps things clean and gsync keeps things smooth. This comes from my days of competitive gaming and you went every possible edge. With the new tools we have today, if I was still doing competitive gaming I'd probably also be using a black equalizer to adjust the image so enemies can't hide in dark spots and DSP for headphones that increase the volume of enemy footsteps so they can't sneak around

It's pointless using 4K textures on a 2K screen though. Which is why medium works fine as that is usually 2K and Low is usually 1K.

As for framerate 143. Everyone says it should be locked to 4fps below your max. So 140fps for a 144fps screen. With Ultra Latency on. In my case 236fps for a 240hz screen.

I have turned g sync off as it caused flickering on my screen.

Soldato
It's pointless using 4K textures on a 2K screen though. Which is why medium works fine as that is usually 2K and Low is usually 1K.

As for framerate 143. Everyone says it should be locked to 4fps below your max. So 140fps for a 144fps screen. With Ultra Latency on. In my case 236fps for a 240hz screen.

I have turned g sync off as it caused flickering on my screen.

Texture resolution typically has minimal to no impact on performance it just fills up vram so there no reason to run it on medium unless you're running out of vram

Associate
After 295x2 quadfire anything under 800W is fine. With 1080ti SLI and 5960X at 4.5Ghz room temps could easily hit 28-32C. 'Fortunately' after a monitor failure I'm gaming at 1920/1080 rather than 4K and CPU is back at stock. Everything is super quiet, GPUs hold 1987 in SLI and CPU always below 60C. Low power really is the way forward and my room is a very manageable temperature rather than an oven. Obviously with 1600W PSU I'd otherwise be gagging for super demanding GPUs just so lots of other people would need to upgrade and I could feel smug;).

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom