• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Associate
Hello I'm trying to figure out when you maybe do another drop like the last drop you did in a certain section which shall not be named .
Also thoughts on perhaps putting a discount code which was mentioned awhile back discounting the card for xxx amount using a promo code given to us forum members who have been tracking graphics cards since launch as another form and slowing the bots in the process ? . @Gibbo @ScottiB . Cheers guys !

Associate
Unfortunately someone will leak the code it is inevitable. The best you can do is limit it to 1 per person per IP and delivery address and track the addresses and IP's in a database. If someone uses a VPN which no doubt someone will try you at least have the home address and you deny them. It won't stop people using a VPN and delivering to a family member though.

The other way would be to compare forum e-mail addresses to account addresses and only allow matches to purchase. Lots of ways of doing it and I don't know how easy they would be to implement.

Honestly it comes down to human greed. You really would think people would realise limiting it to 1 per person would be enough but people can't control themselves and don't care about anyone else but themselves.

Compounded by the fact you can make money by reselling these or mining people will try any way they can to buy more than 1.

Any effort the guys make though is always appreciated.

Soldato
Yeah and make sure that section of the site can only be accessed by loyal forum members. Those that have 200 posts or at least been a member of the forum for a year.

Soldato
Unfortunately someone will leak the code it is inevitable. The best you can do is limit it to 1 per person per IP and delivery address and track the addresses and IP's in a database. If someone uses a VPN which no doubt someone will try you at least have the home address and you deny them. It won't stop people using a VPN and delivering to a family member though.

The other way would be to compare forum e-mail addresses to account addresses and only allow matches to purchase. Lots of ways of doing it and I don't know how easy they would be to implement.

Honestly it comes down to human greed. You really would think people would realise limiting it to 1 per person would be enough but people can't control themselves and don't care about anyone else but themselves.

Compounded by the fact you can make money by reselling these or mining people will try any way they can to buy more than 1.

Any effort the guys make though is always appreciated.
Yup, they sure will. Within seconds of Scott or Gibbo dropping or hinting at drops someone will inevitably post it on facebook groups like PCMR/Gaming groups etc and you end up with 1000's of people swarming the website. Was a good tactic to place the gpu's in a different subsection but once word gets out you end up with same problem. Best to keep changing where the gpu's are placed on the website and like before don't hint or drop till the very last minute giving only forum members a chance to purchase.

Soldato
Why would OcUK mess about like that? They don't care who buys them as long as they make money. It's a business after all.

Associate
I like some idea of getting a gpu out to forum participants ... be nice not to have to compete with bots or people that have multiple gpus already.

Soldato
All lovely ideas, the problem comes from the fact that our website has very limited capabilities. We simply can't do it.

Upgrade to Oracle CX Commerce
add all forum users into a group with an if conditional based on posts
add a group to an ‘audience’
set specific SKUs to only appear to that audience
conduct sale
wait for 2022
de-migrate website to tin cans and a piece of string :)

You’ll only need a few million quid to do it. GG PLD THX.

Soldato
While many other places seem to be getting cards weekly or even daily, OCUK hasn't had any for sale for over a month. What is going on?
I hope it's not a case of a pallet coming in and then going straight out to a bulk buyer.

Associate
OP
@fs123 hey bud so what i believe OCUK are doing is that they have a stockpile which once they have cleared their warehouse from previous orders and caught up its then they release them for sale obviously avoiding any other gpu launch and dropping hints as to when they may be dropped in the forums section for members still wanting a graphics card etc which I can imagine is hundreds of people on this forums of not thousands , also the fact the way their system runs currently is that their is a lag time from taking orders online to being able to take them off sale hence OCUK manually monitor the sales but the fact is they keep hold of afew thousand at a time because the flow of people buying them compared to how quick they can take them off sale is insane. tho i could be wrong but this is what I've gathered since September 17th

OcUK Systems
OcUK Staff
Upgrade to Oracle CX Commerce
add all forum users into a group with an if conditional based on posts
add a group to an ‘audience’
set specific SKUs to only appear to that audience
conduct sale
wait for 2022
de-migrate website to tin cans and a piece of string :)

You’ll only need a few million quid to do it. GG PLD THX.
hahahaha yeah, people love to over simplify. We've been working on upgrades for three years, should be rolling out a load this year.

Soldato
How fast are bots?

Make a list of people on the forum like a queue, pm those people when the cards are dropping, meh, I know it's a lot of effort.

I guess if the 300 units in the 3d printer section sold out in minutes you'll still get beaten.

Depends as a retailer how much they can be bothered, I guess 300 cards to miners is still £££.

Back
Top Bottom