Nexus 5 2015 refresh

Associate
Picked mine up today! Annoyingly i just noticed it a nano sim so trip to o2 to swap tomorrow... unless i fancy having a go at cutting it myself that is... hmmm

GT3

GT3

Soldato
I got the phone today along with this cheap case for now

http://www.amazon.co.uk/TUDIA-Ultra...qid=1445291361&sr=8-5&keywords=nexus+5x+tudia

One thing I noticed is it doesn't have the cut out for the little hole in the bottom of the phone between the charging and headphone port. Is this important as I believe the mic is in the lower grill on the front of the phone? Can't test yet as haven't got a nano sim either!

Man of Honour
Got it this afternoon and I have to say it is an upgrade to the N5. So easy to transfer from the N5 to this by linking the devices. Up and running in no time. The camera seems great so far and living the 120FPS video mode! Finger print scanner is very good too.

It is on the limit size wise for me despite having big hands. Fast though and what I was hoping for. :)

Soldato
Far from perfect, but a wee comparison between the four. Just dirty point and shoot.

phones_zpsy6lqjkqd.png

The poor performance of the Z3C really surprised me!

The N5X is clearly much better than the N5, but it was always going to be.

Soldato
Soldato
Under settings-> Google -> at the bottom there is something called "set up nearby device"

Works really well.

Was part of the process of setting up the N5X, did it with my N4, so quick and very easy!

What launchers are everyone using? I've just migrated Go Launcher from the N4, but it just feels like a bigger faster N4 at the moment, so fancying something different.

Associate
Here are a couple of not so good reviews...

Battery life that apparently won't last from 8am to dinner time with medium use.

http://www.digitaltrends.com/cell-phone-reviews/google-nexus-5x-review/

Quick Charge 2.0 not supported. It still quick charges but only by a certain hand full of chargers by the looks of it. The old QC items tested didn't seem to put it into that mode according to the article.

http://www.droid-life.com/2015/10/19/nexus-6p-nexus-5x-quick-charge/
Uses USB-PD rather than quick charge

Associate
Anyone with experience of an LG G4 tried the 5x yet?

I'm looking to pick one or the other up for the GF's birthday present but not sure which at the moment, the expandable memory and more ram on the G4 seem to be swinging me that way at the moment, I understand the camera on either will be pretty superb. Speakers on both equally rubbish. Bit concerned about software updates on the LG.
Anyone have any thoughts?

Associate
Yeah I believe it's a move to get it more universal instead relying on quick charge by Qualcomm.

Cracking idea really... push for a standard everyone can use, rather than QC support where certain (possibly fruit-based) manufacturers _may_ not get onboard.

With an adaptor, my HP Chromebook 11 chargers go straight to "charging rapidly" on the N5X, which is a bonus... I've not even bothered unwrapping the LG charger supplied with the phone!

Car charger also seems to do rapid charging, so I'll have to see what it was I ordered again and post back in here if anyone's interested.

Soldato
Anyone with experience of an LG G4 tried the 5x yet?

I'm looking to pick one or the other up for the GF's birthday present but not sure which at the moment, the expandable memory and more ram on the G4 seem to be swinging me that way at the moment, I understand the camera on either will be pretty superb. Speakers on both equally rubbish. Bit concerned about software updates on the LG.
Anyone have any thoughts?

I think general performance will likely be better from the G4, I was really impressed by it. The camera is amazing and probably has the edge over the 5X too, but as you say, updates will come quicker on the 5X.

The G4 actually had some nice little extra features which almost made me keep it as my daily.

Note 5 v 5X camera comparison, only a quick one mind.

Soldato
Cracking idea really... push for a standard everyone can use, rather than QC support where certain (possibly fruit-based) manufacturers _may_ not get onboard.

With an adaptor, my HP Chromebook 11 chargers go straight to "charging rapidly" on the N5X, which is a bonus... I've not even bothered unwrapping the LG charger supplied with the phone!

Car charger also seems to do rapid charging, so I'll have to see what it was I ordered again and post back in here if anyone's interested.

It is a good idea really.
Just as well I didn't buy into the QC stuff.

I would be interested to find out which one you got. I just got an aukey one from the forest place last month.

Soldato
Reserve and collected mine from Bishopsgate (EC2) CPW yesterday morning. Phone is great, very fast and good screen. Build is light and easy to hold. Ergonomic. Fingerprint sensor is brilliant.

Overall I think it's very good, and a worth successor to the original N5, but I might get a 6P too because I'm not sure the 5X is premium enough for what I'm looking for.

Back
Top Bottom