Nexus 5 2015 refresh

Soldato
I always wanted an upgrade to my n5 so bought one as soon as they were released however, now I cant help but think maybe I should have gone for the 6P. It can't be that big surely. Need to see one in the flesh.

Man of Honour
anyone else played the marshmallow game yet?

No. I'm rubbish at those sort of games :p

I always wanted an upgrade to my n5 so bought one as soon as they were released however, now I cant help but think maybe I should have gone for the 6P. It can't be that big surely. Need to see one in the flesh.

I find the 5X just on the limit of being a nice size. I can just about use it one handed, any bigger and I wouldn't be able to. I cut out a mock up of the N6P and it really was just too big.

That said, the components are completely worthy of questioning whether or not you should go for it. I completely agree that the 6P is a higher tier phone - it's a shame they've made a compromise with the 5X, but I reckon had they made them equal, the 6P won't sell as well.

Associate
I cut out a mock up of the N6P and it really was just too big.

I ordered a case for the 5X and 6P, both turned up nearly two weeks back and it was seeing smallie next to biggie that made me cancel my 6P order and go for the little 'un.

Of course, it's YMMV for everyone and down to personal preference etc.

I'd like a crack at the 6P, but the size was just too much... the 5X feels like a comfortable pair of shoes right now, and I'm very happy with that!

Associate
I think general performance will likely be better from the G4, I was really impressed by it. The camera is amazing and probably has the edge over the 5X too, but as you say, updates will come quicker on the 5X.

The G4 actually had some nice little extra features which almost made me keep it as my daily.

Note 5 v 5X camera comparison, only a quick one mind.

Thanks Andy, I think you have swung it for me, especially with the news LG should bring Marshmallow to the G4 before the end of the year. Nexus 6P for me though!

Last question, how was the speaker on the G4 vs 5x, she has a nexus 4 at the moment and likes to play music from it, I imagine Nexus 4, 5x and G4 are all similarly horrendous?

Soldato
Last question, how was the speaker on the G4 vs 5x, she has a nexus 4 at the moment and likes to play music from it, I imagine Nexus 4, 5x and G4 are all similarly horrendous?

I was really impressed by it if I remember correctly.

At the end of the video, you will see my chart. You see right down there at the bottom is the Nexus 4? You see the LG G4 is quite near the top...

Soldato
I think general performance will likely be better from the G4, I was really impressed by it. The camera is amazing and probably has the edge over the 5X too, but as you say, updates will come quicker on the 5X.

The G4 actually had some nice little extra features which almost made me keep it as my daily.

Note 5 v 5X camera comparison, only a quick one mind.

Are you able to do a 5x vs G4 camera comparison mate?

on another note the G4 is getting Marshmallow this week in Poland, then will filter through to other countries, pretty good from LG!

Soldato
I find the 5X just on the limit of being a nice size. I can just about use it one handed, any bigger and I wouldn't be able to. I cut out a mock up of the N6P and it really was just too big.

That said, the components are completely worthy of questioning whether or not you should go for it. I completely agree that the 6P is a higher tier phone - it's a shame they've made a compromise with the 5X, but I reckon had they made them equal, the 6P won't sell as well.

Its a massive shame, a 5X sized version of the 6P would have been perfect. I'm the same, really don't think I can go above the 5X size even if its not much bigger, but still not pulled the trigger on a 5X yet as I can't help but feel slightly disappointed by it.

Soldato
Reviews are saying battery life is poor, any owners comments please?

Thanks.

Jay

I'm impressed, but that could be that I'm coming from a dire N4 battery life and ancient re-charge speed.

Picked up the phone at 1630 yesterday, gave it a 10 minute charge while it set up. Played with it all night, downloaded all my apps etc. Left it over night, woke up at 0700 this morning with 50%

Man of Honour
For me the battery performance is clearly better than the N5 at the moment - I've been using the N5X a lot more than I would normally (new gadget and all that) and since I charged it up to 86% this morning, it's down to 46% with 3hrs+ of screen time. I can see it easily lasting over a day with my usage.

Soldato
That's true, I did make a little template of the 6P and it did look huge. I think the 5X is possibly near my limit. I love the size of the existing N5.

I can easily make the N5 last about 1.5 days with my use. I don't think I'll have any issues with the N5X.

Associate
I was really impressed by it if I remember correctly.

At the end of the video, you will see my chart. You see right down there at the bottom is the Nexus 4? You see the LG G4 is quite near the top...

Perfect, really appreciate that and just had a marketing email from a competitor offering the G4 for £299, must be fate!

Soldato
Its a massive shame, a 5X sized version of the 6P would have been perfect. I'm the same, really don't think I can go above the 5X size even if its not much bigger, but still not pulled the trigger on a 5X yet as I can't help but feel slightly disappointed by it.

Hopefully if the 5x out sells the 6P, we get a 5P.

Soldato
Anyone know of any decent USB C to USB A (normal size) cables? Miffed Google didn't include one in the box. There are loads on Amazon but I don't want some el-cheapo thing that breaks after a month.

Man of Honour
Anyone know of any decent USB C to USB A (normal size) cables? Miffed Google didn't include one in the box. There are loads on Amazon but I don't want some el-cheapo thing that breaks after a month.

I just got some from Amazon. I also got type c to type c with a micro USB adaptor so that I can use my USB to uUSB cables.

Back
Top Bottom