1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Nikon 50mm f1.8 D AF

Discussion in 'Photography & Video' started by King_Boru, 1 Aug 2006.

1. King_Boru

Wise Guy

Just bought the above metioned lens. Couldnt resist it, being so cheap and all. I'll upload some pictures when it arrives tomorrow (hopefully). Read some good reviews and seen some great shots taken with it. Looking forward to taking some snaps myself. Will be using it for portrait photography and music events (will be dim light).

2. Wile E. Coyote

Hitman

Will be interesting to see your shots and opinions on the lens. Been hearing alot about it recently and am tempted myself, justifing it to the mrs might be difficult at the mo as i've just bought a sigma 70-300.

3. starscream

PermaBanned

This is an excellent lens. A lot of my photos are at gigs or other low light level events, and it rarely leaves my 350D :)

4. King_Boru

Wise Guy

Will be here in 7 - 10 days. Had to back order where I got it from :(. Best price around by a long shot so more than happy to stick it out.

5. Joe T

Capodecina

You have a Nikon 50mm on your 350d? :p

6. Blackvault

Mobster

You can get Nikon to Canon Adapters I believe.

Blackvault

7. King_Boru

Wise Guy

There is a Canon 50mm f1.8 aswell as far as I believe.

8. starscream

PermaBanned

Ooops! I missed the Nikon bit :p

I have the Canon version, not sure how they compare with each other. I'm sure the Nikon would be equally as good for low light though :D

9. King_Boru

Wise Guy

It arrived this morning! Will get some pictures tonight when I get home from work! Thought it was going to take 7 - 10 days! Well happy!

King.

EDIT: Why Oh Why didnt I bring my camera to work! WHY!!! Now I have to sit here itching to use it all day long! WHY!!!!!! Hopefully the excitement will make the day go quicker.

Last edited: 3 Aug 2006
  10. bigredshark

Man of Honour

some people like, personally I sold my 50mm f1.4 because although it was really sharp and incredibly fast it wasn't flexible enough to be a whole lot of use to me most of the time

11. King_Boru

Wise Guy

Bought the lens specifically for Portraiture and Gig's. Wont be using as a walkabout, thats for the 18-55mm. Which produces satifactory results.

12. King_Boru

Wise Guy

As promised, pictures.

[​IMG]
    f1.8 - 1/40s

[​IMG]
    f1.8 - 1/160s

Generally very happy with the lens. I was worried about vignetting in the f1.8 region but it is very very well controlled. Nice sharp images with good colours (pictures were taken on 'normal' optimization level).

13. Mister_Pister

Wise Guy

looks like a really great buy

14. Wile E. Coyote

Hitman

From the look of those pics it might well be my next purchase. Tried a nikon 28mm f2.8 prime on my D50 the other day and well impressed with the colours in the shots. Ah well better get saving :p

15. King_Boru

Wise Guy

Its only £97!

16. Wile E. Coyote

Hitman

I know but the sigma 70-300mm I bought last week means the mrs wont be best pleased, will have wait till next month but its definately on the shopping list :)