Nintendo finally moves against ROM sites

Soldato
I'm surprised it's taken them this many years but Nintendo has finally started taking legal action against ROM sites, it's started with LoveRetro and LoveRoms (both registered to the same company) but the action has forced EmuParadise to close down to protect itself from similar legal action.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-45169817

Coincidentally, Nintendo start the roll out of it's Switch subscription service with retro offerings from next month ;)

I don't blame Nintendo, it's their IP and anyone who doesn't have permission or licensing from them have absolutely no right distribute any of the IP regardless of what modern day Robin Hood BS they spout.

Soldato
I understand they need to protect themselves but this doesn't just affect Nintendo games. How many of these games are easily accessible in todays market? Now most of these games from the past are being buried and we won't ever get the chance to play such games, nor will future generations. It's a big loss for the retro scene.

Soldato
I understand they need to protect themselves but this doesn't just affect Nintendo games. How many of these games are easily accessible in todays market? Now most of these games from the past are being buried and we won't ever get the chance to play such games, nor will future generations. It's a big loss for the retro scene.
I agree with you as a retro fan and anything that allows me to play my fave games easily is great but unfortunately the reality is these games are all protected by copyright laws and companies don't like to share freely :(

Associate
Yeah, won't make any difference. Most people probably already have the ROMS they want anyway. Finding torrents of full ROM sets isn't difficult either.

Soldato
While it is obviously illegal, there has been no other way to really access obsolete titles on obsolete platforms... at least until very recently, with the Mini Console thing.
Yes, Nintendo are offering a subs service, which includes access to some retro titles... but that's not likely to cover the vast majority of them, is it? Surely they'd be better off releasing their entire back catalogue on this paid service? They'll even make money off it, that way.

Soldato
While it is obviously illegal, there has been no other way to really access obsolete titles on obsolete platforms... at least until very recently, with the Mini Console thing.
Yes, Nintendo are offering a subs service, which includes access to some retro titles... but that's not likely to cover the vast majority of them, is it? Surely they'd be better off releasing their entire back catalogue on this paid service? They'll even make money off it, that way.

Can you imagine the time and money it would take to renegotiate the licencing agreements on these titles to re-release them? Because that's the problem that any company wanting to re-release their back catalogues face. They might well make money but how much will they need to charge to do so? And would anybody really bother when these titles are available elsewhere freely?

Soldato
Can you imagine the time and money it would take to renegotiate the licencing agreements on these titles to re-release them? Because that's the problem that any company wanting to re-release their back catalogues face.
I'm sure something could be worked out.
But if the licencing agreements do not belong to Nintendo, why are Nintendo taking the legal action instead of the developers/studios?

They might well make money but how much will they need to charge to do so?
Far less than it would cost to distribute the games on cartridge.

And would anybody really bother when these titles are available elsewhere freely?
Depends how successful Nintendo are at shutting down the ROM sites.
I daresay the ROMs mostly became popular because the physical cartridges fell to very short supply, even 2nd hand... I admit I only got into retro handhelds because I thought they'd be cheap as chips these days, but far more plentiful than they actually are.

Soldato
I'm sure something could be worked out.
But if the licencing agreements do not belong to Nintendo, why are Nintendo taking the legal action instead of the developers/studios?

I guess because Nintendo are big enough to do so. Look at why perfect dark remakes and prequels never appeared on nintendo hardware as a prime example - because nintendo don't own the rights anymore. They would have to make a deal with Rare, owned by Microsoft, to have it re-released on nintendo hardware. That's one example.

Far less than it would cost to distribute the games on cartridge.

that doesnt really answer anything.

Depends how successful Nintendo are at shutting down the ROM sites.

They wont be, let's not kid ourselves. websites arent the only source of roms, they are just the easiest to go after.

I daresay the ROMs mostly became popular because the physical cartridges fell to very short supply, even 2nd hand... I admit I only got into retro handhelds because I thought they'd be cheap as chips these days, but far more plentiful than they actually are.

I think you are incorrect in that assumption, people have been running emulators on alternative hardware for decades, and it wasn't really anything to do with availability. Or you can ignore the emulation side of it and just look at how prolific piracy in general was way back in the 8bit era. It wasnt because of a lack of availability, it was simple because they can, and people love something for nothing.

Last edited:
Soldato
I guess because Nintendo are big enough to do so.
But if they don't have the rights to the games, surely they have no right to legal action either unless working on behalf of whoever does have the rights?

Personally, I'd expect to find that Nintendo still have the rights to the games as originally released and thus could still put out original Gameboy carts (for example), so long as they don't change anything about the game itself, like the code or the resolution. Only way I can see that not being viable is if there's something very specific in the contract like a time limit, or if another party has some kind of claim on the manufature of the physical media, perhaps?

But if the ROM is the same game from decades ago, do Nintendo not still hold the rights to it in that same state?

that doesnt really answer anything.
How much they'd have to charge is probably immaterial, as they'll simply charge whatever they want anyway. More so, if they still do hold rights.

They wont be, let's not kid ourselves. websites arent the only source of roms, they are just the easiest to go after.
But also the easiest for people to access. If you drive such things underground, to places where you need to faff around with VPNs and things, a lot of people won't bother.

I think you are incorrect in that assumption, people have been running emulators on alternative hardware for decades, and it wasn't really anything to do with availability.
Oh they've existed for decades, yes. But they would become popular once that was the easiest and most successful way to find old games, rather than hoping the cartridge comes up on eBay or something.

Or you can ignore the emulation side of it and just look at how prolific piracy in general was way back in the 8bit era. It wasnt because of a lack of availability, it was simple because they can, and people love something for nothing.
Within certain circles, yes. But only if you had the right kit and knew what you were doing... probably being fluent in 1337sp34k or something, as well.
I'll bet the average user of consoles wouldn't have the first idea about extracting a ROM... and even today, some professionally extracted ROMs still won't work.... or so I'm told, anyway! ;)
Only once it became widely accessible to the majority of gamers did it become prolific and even then, I don't think I ever saw a pirated or ripped copy of a console game, until eBay really took off. Best I heard of was a hacking a console to remove the region coding so people could play imported editions of games, which didn't happen until they came on CD and usually resulted in a fritzed machine instead.

Associate
What Nintendo is doing isn't going to make a dent. Anybody who wants the ROMS will get them, if they haven't already got them. People who will use Nintendo's online service were likely to do so anyway, regardless of ROM availability.

Back
Top Bottom