*** Nintendo Switch ***

Associate
Trying to playthrough sunshine but finding it infuriatingly difficult to do simple jumps and moves. Not sure if its the framerate or hit boxes but after odsseey its so much harder to do anything.

Soldato
The quality of Mario 64 still shines through :) It's a real shame this colection didn't include a proper remake as I can't think of a game more deserving. One thing I notriced is that it controls worse on the modern pro pad than on the N64 pad. It's still OK, but the game really did warrant tweaking for current hardware.

Soldato
The odd thing about the camera in Mario 64, other than when it's obviously wonky and bashing into close objects, is it's my fave camera of any 3D platofmer. Having quick presets to flip between lets you direct how you want to play the game. Sure, you can do this with a free camera, but it's slower and not as consistent.

Associate
What's up with the run speed of Mario 64, is the frame rate different?

The animations are definitely faster than they were on the N64 and I can't nail a triple jump at all whereas on the N64 it's a piece of cake.

Associate
What's up with the run speed of Mario 64, is the frame rate different?

The animations are definitely faster than they were on the N64 and I can't nail a triple jump at all whereas on the N64 it's a piece of cake.

There's definitely something a bit off on the movement. To me it feels like running on ice all the time, which makes the actual ice levels a nightmare! About a third of the way through now and getting on OK, but I'm looking forward to Sunshine afterwards as it'll hopefully be better.

Associate
I'm having an absolute battle with this, I just can't enjoy it. The controls like you say feel like all movement is on ice and the camera seems like it's been dialled up to 11 on the nightmare scale.

I was playing the original mario 64 a few weeks ago and was having fun. Not with this, I'm just constantly frustrated.

Associate
Yeah it's a shame as I think I could live with either the camera or the controls but both together are very frustrating. Last night it took me so long to do the volcano lift level as jumping off at the end Mario kept sliding off the tiny landing platform.

I did wonder if it's anything to do with the analogue stick on the joy cons, as they have a lot less travel than the old N64 ones. So a little movement now corresponds to a lot of movement back then? Just a thought...

Associate
Its things like any slight incline sending you into a never ending slide where you need the precision which is now missing.

If it a poor mapping of the analogue stick that's pretty terrible from Nintendo when in odyssey and botw you can easily move between running and walking.

The more I play this the more I'm getting annoyed at Nintendo for trashing a really good game. They can do good remakes (Zelda games for instance) but this is just lazy rubbish. A little more effort would have made a huge difference.

Associate
Thinking about it is clearly tweaked from the original as I'd heard they'd taken out some of the speed running tricks like backwards long jumping. No idea why as I'm sure I'm not alone in wanting it to be a faithful reproduction of the original, warts and all. That's part of what made it a great game.

Soldato
Thinking about it is clearly tweaked from the original as I'd heard they'd taken out some of the speed running tricks like backwards long jumping. No idea why as I'm sure I'm not alone in wanting it to be a faithful reproduction of the original, warts and all. That's part of what made it a great game.
This is not the original UK or US release. The game on the cart is the Japanese version that got released a short while later. With a few changes.

Back
Top Bottom