*** Nintendo Switch ***

Soldato
So old Ninty will be doing another hybrid ..... and that was so successful last time around. As much as I want a Wii U the price has put me off . And now a new console is out inside 12 months ......the shelf life of the WiiU was ????

For the new console to be competitive it can't be more than £250 max

Soldato
Maybe I have limited imagination but all I can picture is a Wii U where you can use the controller independently from the main console.

have a look at the NeoGeo X that was released a few years back... not a great reception but done properly would be an excellent system.

think of a higher powered 3DS with a docking station that would play the unit on a TV with a normal controller

Associate
Super excited to see what Nintendo unveils with this. Although I just cannot even begin to picture what a console/handheld hybrid could realistically look like that would be any good.

Caporegime
If it's a hybrid, it'll just be a handheld that works as a DS but will use a lower res screen to play NX games. Read somewhere, cloud gaming could be a possibility. Making handhelds nearly as powerful as your console.

But who knows.

Associate
By the time the NX comes out the ps4 and xbone will be 3 years old.

If nintendo dont make the NX console much more powerful than current gen,they might as well stop making consoles.

The NX needs to handle 1080p 60fps with ease,and maybe go above that resolution.

Associate
I really hope they do loose the gimmicks and play it safe this generation. An equally powerful machine, a standard quality controller, can play any big multi-platform game, and have all the unique Nintendo IP's and indie support to boot. Then it's got a good chance of climbing back to the top, especially when a large part of the fight between xo/ps4 is in the unique IP's, which Nintendo was always a master of.

Associate
I think a power level between Wii U and XBox1 is more likely, and I'd be fine with that.
I've been very impressed with what they've achieved moving to HD with the WII U and I'm certain another good boost in power will be enough for them to easily deliver good experiences.

Its clear that they are going to have to unify the game development for the handheld & full size console - it looks like they are in the position where they will have to do the heavy lifting for the software on their platforms themselves (at least until they can establish a decent user base) - and this gen has shown they struggle to do that for 2 platforms at once. The WiiU's early life suffered terribly from them going all out to make a success of the 3DS and the console never really recovered.

I don't think that's necessarily going to mean a single machine though. That would mean expensive dual-purpose hardware. With either bad battery life on the handheld, or lack of power on the home console.
I think instead, they'll both be based on the same architecture and recieve the same games but it will be like 'low' and 'high' settings on the PC, where the home console has higher resolution, higher res textures and more fancy effects and shaders.
If they have any sense, it will be 1 purchase to use the game on either or both platforms.

This will solve a lot of problems at once: They can offer their full library of games on both, they don't have to compromise either console, they properly support people who only have one machine or both, they can keep the costs low (relatively) for both.

Finally, I hope they choose an x86 platform for both machines so they make life as easy as possible for 3rd party developers to port/ co-develop their PS4 XBox 1 games. I've got a fairly powerful PC and a cheap tablet and both are based on x86, so the full range of hardware exists and is practical on x86.

I'm quite up for them offering new features, although I could do without new controller gimmics this time round. That said, I think they can and probably should include gyro and some kind of touch on both machines - like the PS4 consolidating the controller innovations of the last 10 years so they're there for when it makes sense to take advantage of them.

Last edited:
Associate
So old Ninty will be doing another hybrid ..... and that was so successful last time around. As much as I want a Wii U the price has put me off . And now a new console is out inside 12 months ......the shelf life of the WiiU was ????

For the new console to be competitive it can't be more than £250 max

but the wiiu has offered a lot of fun games and hours of fun. where was that with the other 2 consoles for the first year? and even now. i'll be picking up the NX and keeping the wiiu :)

Man of Honour
I'm really looking forward to this, I'm happy with my PS4 but have always got excited about what Nintendo will do next. It might be crap it might be ace, either way I'm glad Nintendo are still about trying to innovate. Not exited about the next XBox or PS machine.

Soldato
The wii u had a good line up of exclusives but its soo flawed that i can barely stand to use it anymore, its been in a drawer for months. I wont pick up the 'NX' until its proven to right the wrongs with the wii u. Using that massive gamepad all the time was a big turn off. Just wanted a feature so you could use the console without the gamepad being turned on or being used at all and just use the pro controller for everything.

I was in the same boat but got Mario Maker(one day hopefully share levels I've created for my daughter) and I got Wii U fit with board from the nintendo shop for £40. Every member of my family has this little meter they attach to their clothes and we all update the info when we catch up, the activity it monitors is awesome, I've already walked around New York and got a teashirt and my brother does a lot of climbing so he's doing the Everest challenge in Wii U Fit as it knows when you are going up hill, walking, running it's amazing.

I really didn't like this console but now I love it, will be getting Tennis shortly and Xenoblade Chronicles is on my list of games for this year, and a pre-orderer in for the HD version of Zelda Twilight Princess, which I didn't complete.

The battery life on the big remote is dodgy so will be getting the high capacity from nintendo this year too.

It's a good time to be a Wii U owner, oh and it's got the best version of Deus Ex : Human Revolution on it too.

Associate
Yeah, despite it's commercial face-plant it's a really good console.
I think Splatoon is one of the best-executed new concepts I've seen in a long time: It's one new main idea just works perfectly. That it's budget price and offers a huge amount of gameplay is just an extra bonus.
What people are doing with Mario Maker blows me away too: It's not as original as Splatoon (Little big planet got there 1st) but unlike LBP it's built on a truely great platform control system and design heritage.
Mario Kart 8 is completely un-original but superbly executed - wonderful control, graphics, track design. It's also one of the best examples of DLC I've ever seen on console: 1/4 game pric gets you exactly 1/4 tracks/ drivers ect of the main game.
The 2 DLCs together are more like the old-schoool PC expansion pack model: 50% extra content of the original for 50% extra price: how DLC should be done.

To me, those 3 are the top games on the system (For mainstream anyway, I love Bayonetta 2, Xenoblade Chronicles X etc but most people won't be interested in them).

Soldato
Yeah, despite it's commercial face-plant it's a really good console.
I think Splatoon is one of the best-executed new concepts I've seen in a long time: It's one new main idea just works perfectly. That it's budget price and offers a huge amount of gameplay is just an extra bonus.
What people are doing with Mario Maker blows me away too: It's not as original as Splatoon (Little big planet got there 1st) but unlike LBP it's built on a truely great platform control system and design heritage.
Mario Kart 8 is completely un-original but superbly executed - wonderful control, graphics, track design. It's also one of the best examples of DLC I've ever seen on console: 1/4 game pric gets you exactly 1/4 tracks/ drivers ect of the main game.
The 2 DLCs together are more like the old-schoool PC expansion pack model: 50% extra content of the original for 50% extra price: how DLC should be done.

To me, those 3 are the top games on the system (For mainstream anyway, I love Bayonetta 2, Xenoblade Chronicles X etc but most people won't be interested in them).

Agreed.

That reminds me I've got Bayonetta 2 coming next week, which is a system seller for under £17 @ game.co.uk now(or last time I checked).

Associate
Agreed.

That reminds me I've got Bayonetta 2 coming next week, which is a system seller for under £17 @ game.co.uk now(or last time I checked).

I don't play those reaction-based, combat-heavy games (lets call them Devil May Cry genre) often but I really enjoyed it just as a change of pace.
Again, Nintendo were involved in development, so it's been polished within an inch of it's life.
There's a lot of content there & some really impressive graphics and art design (although in a style that will never have mainstream success in europe).

I completed it on normal: If I'm honest, normal is really just a practice for hard which I think is the real game. Sooner or later I will go back and play it properly.

Soldato
I don't play those reaction-based, combat-heavy games (lets call them Devil May Cry genre) often but I really enjoyed it just as a change of pace.
Again, Nintendo were involved in development, so it's been polished within an inch of it's life.
There's a lot of content there & some really impressive graphics and art design (although in a style that will never have mainstream success in europe).

I completed it on normal: If I'm honest, normal is really just a practice for hard which I think is the real game. Sooner or later I will go back and play it properly.

I'll stick to normal, I'm no wiz when it comes to action games and the less stress caused by difficulty the better!

Looking forward to it, after I finish Tombraider 2 :)

Soldato
The console at least needs to be powerful enough for 3rd party games. Otherwise it will bomb. Nintendo also need to bring their online services up to scratch. Otherwise it will bomb. More importantly they need to stop playing it so frustratingly damn safe with their first party titles. Since the N64 there's been the odd glimpse of Nintendo pushing the boundaries - Galaxy and a few others stand out - but recently, particularly with the WiiU, they've been so unambitious and tired it hurts. The complete opposite of what they used to be. Give me a ****ing epic 3D Mario adventure platformer that eclipses Mario 64 in every way. A vast, sprawling Metroid exploration shooter. A Zelda that doesn't play like a worse version of OoT with better gfx. Maybe something new?! Nintendo were always the pioneers - not just in making great games but also in setting standards in how we play them. And now they're just dull.

Soldato
Is this supposed to replace the Wii U or sit alongside it? The Wii U is what, 3 years old?

I'm confused too.

But the guy who took Nintendo into the gimmicky style(Wii/Wii U) died last year, so maybe the "new" guy wants to go mainstream.

I'd like the best bits of the Wii U kept, basically Wii Fit, and loads of raw power to blow away the current gen with releases from the Metroid and F-Zero franchises.... for a start, and even higher res cross platform titles.

We'll see.

EDIT: This big pad is growing on me too :)

Last edited:
Soldato
What I am most interested in is the handheld aspect.

The DS series of consoles have been undoubtedly where Nintendo have had the most success and profits in recent years. But by God, it needs a true upgrade, not just what the new 3DS has offered. By true upgrade I mean can we please lose the prehistoric display resolution of the 3DS?!

Back
Top Bottom