*** Nintendo Switch ***

Man of Honour
Maybe proper virtual reality will be the next exciting industry changing moment. More of the same with slightly better graphics however not interested.

I think this is a serious possibility. I think it will only become a real industry revolution like 3D gaming was if it gets overwhelming industry-wide adoption and inclusion of it with future hardware, as opposed to it being an "add on". A little like we saw with the Kinect from an add on for xbox 360 vs part of the experience with the xbox One, except hopefully VR will be a little more well received :p.

IMO it all hangs on how much it takes off as an "add on" in the next 2 years. PS4 and Xbox One will be 5 years old by then, and assuming a console lifecycle of 8 years, plans for the next generation will be being nailed down. One would expect they'll be looking at aspects of the current generation that they can take forward - I assume like Microsoft did with Kinect - and if VR is doing well it would make sense for them to make a drive for it to be included on release with the next gen.

:edit: I realise this sort of off topic in the NX thread but meh. Certainly beats trying to work out what on earth "non-wearables" means.

Associate
FYI, for those wondering about the controller rumours (I can't stand these annoying unconfirmed rumours), the image shown on the controller is actually from the Unreal Engine 4 demo the other day. Thus it's been confirmed to be a fake. Take it from me, it's best to ignore NX rumours right now (pretty much all of them are clickbait nonsense conjured up for views) and wait till E3 for solid official news.

Caporegime
I think this is a serious possibility. I think it will only become a real industry revolution like 3D gaming was if it gets overwhelming industry-wide adoption and inclusion of it with future hardware, as opposed to it being an "add on". A little like we saw with the Kinect from an add on for xbox 360 vs part of the experience with the xbox One, except hopefully VR will be a little more well received :p.

IMO it all hangs on how much it takes off as an "add on" in the next 2 years. PS4 and Xbox One will be 5 years old by then, and assuming a console lifecycle of 8 years, plans for the next generation will be being nailed down. One would expect they'll be looking at aspects of the current generation that they can take forward - I assume like Microsoft did with Kinect - and if VR is doing well it would make sense for them to make a drive for it to be included on release with the next gen.

:edit: I realise this sort of off topic in the NX thread but meh. Certainly beats trying to work out what on earth "non-wearables" means.

Do you even non-wearable!?!?

I'm pretty much hovering my mouse cursor over purchasing the "New" 3DS XL as i have the original and would prefer the larger one.

Would this be a bad idea right now?

Just get a 3DS XL unless you want the extra games IMO. Have I already said this before? :confused:

Associate
Most likely the dev kit that is unfinished in design. We'll probably get exactly that with ergonomic handles on it like the patents.

daz

daz

Soldato
Hope this is the last console Nintendo make so they can focus on making games for other consoles in the future.

Developing their own platform is just a waste of time in this day and age.

Associate
If they get it right and produce hardware that 3rd parties want to develop for and that produces titles at least as technically good as the PS4 then they could be very successful.

Nintendo still has the best Exclusives IMO.

Man of Honour
Hope this is the last console Nintendo make so they can focus on making games for other consoles in the future.

Developing their own platform is just a waste of time in this day and age.

Nintendo has always been about innovation and developing their own hardware helps facilitate this which I for one welcome. Looking at their financials, around 60% of Nintendo's profits are from Hardware also. I'd say keep on making hardware.

Man of Honour
David Gibson, Nintendo reported having to manufacture new units in May 2014. He also explicitly stated that at that point, Nintendo was not taking a loss from each unit sold anymore. When released the Nintendo had to sell a game along with the console to turn a profit.

Back
Top Bottom