*** Nintendo Switch ***

Soldato
Seems fine to me given cloud saves and online multiplayer access but then I never bought anything on the virtual console as I didn't like the fact that your don't really own them and it's annoying paying for games I already own on cartridge.

If anything I'd rather pay £18 a year for access to a selection of retro NES, SNES, GameCube, etc games rather than pay individually to ''own" them. Especially as I'm not convinced Nintendo will transfer purchased virtual console games to their newer systems so you're effectively re-buying the games again every time you buy a new console generation which is ridiculous. Hopefully they'll add online multiplayer support and lobby's to some of the retro games.

I kind of suspect this is the reason for no more virtual console as I think Nintendo doesn't want you buying games and would rather you 'rent' them perpetually via annual subscription .

Soldato
I think £20 per year is a bit steep for a few ancient NES games and a cloud saving feature that probably should be included in the cost of the console. There's still no proper virtual console, backing up of saves to a memory card or proper online service with parties/achievements/whatnot..

This. Glad I'm not the only one who's not seeing the value of this.

Associate
Seems fine to me given cloud saves and online multiplayer access but then I never bought anything on the virtual console as I didn't like the fact that your don't really own them and it's annoying paying for games I already own on cartridge.

If anything I'd rather pay £18 a year for access to a selection of retro NES, SNES, GameCube, etc games rather than pay individually to ''own" them. Especially as I'm not convinced Nintendo will transfer purchased virtual console games to their newer systems so you're effectively re-buying the games again every time you buy a new console generation which is ridiculous. Hopefully they'll add online multiplayer support and lobby's to some of the retro games.

I kind of suspect this is the reason for no more virtual console as I think Nintendo doesn't want you buying games and would rather you 'rent' them perpetually via annual subscription .

I’m the exact opposite. Having the option to buy the titles I want and have them all on the one console as opposed to renting them would have been perfect for me.

Soldato
I’m the exact opposite. Having the option to buy the titles I want and have them all on the one console as opposed to renting them would have been perfect for me.

The problem is what happens when Nintendo release a new console in another 5 or so years time? If the old system breaks or you want to sell it in future you'll lose access to those titles?

Would you really be happy paying to buy all those titles again on a new system? I certainly wouldn't!

Associate
The problem is what happens when Nintendo release a new console in another 5 or so years time? If the old system breaks or you want to sell it in future you'll lose access to those titles?

Would you really be happy paying to buy all those titles again on a new system? I certainly wouldn't!
As long as the console doesn't die then you'll always have those games.
If the games are rented then eventually they may close down the renting option, whereas if you own those games they'll always be there

Associate

Aren’t the titles you buy tied to your account now as opposed to the previous way you’re describing? That’s the impression I got from the account changes before the Switch was released.

Associate
Aren’t the titles you buy tied to your account now as opposed to the previous way you’re describing? That’s the impression I got from the account changes before the Switch was released.

Purchases are linked to your account yes (while also being restricted for use on 1 Switch at a time), but that doesn't mean games purchased now will work on the next Nintendo system.

You can unlink a Switch from your account before selling it, but if it dies or is stolen you'd need to contact Nintendo to get it unlinked before being able to download the games on another Switch system.

I think one of the primary reasons Nintendo went with Tegra is they want to move towards a unified platform/ecosystem across generations, they actually talked about this back in the NX rumour days and referred to iOS and how apps are compatible across generations. So I think there's a good chance the next system will have good backwards compatibility, especially considering the approach MS/Sony is taking, but we don't know for sure.

Last edited:
Soldato
Switch Adjustable Charging Stand Coming July 13

oXhbqx7.jpg

Here is an overview:

With a handy port for an AC adapter on the side, the adjustable charging stand allows the Nintendo Switch system to be charging while in Tabletop mode, enabling longer play sessions.

The angle of the stand can also be adjusted to create the best viewing angle for different environments.

Man of Honour
The Hori is about 4 times bigger though.

It has a similar volume and it folds flat, which is way more important when travelling with it. It's easier to carry/pack a phone compared to a power brick for example. You try fitting that stand in a Switch carry case, but the Hori stand fits perfectly in mine (Orzly case).

Both are terrible choices compared to my portable 3D printed dock though which is smaller than either one and... is also a dock :p

fez

fez

Caporegime
£17.99 for 12 months membership is a good price compared to the competition, but are well just getting NES games?

Its OK. You are comparing apples to oranges though. I could get PSN for £35/year and you get a load of really good games free over that time and its actually a full fledged online system rather than the half baked excuse Nintendo are rolling out.

Associate
There's a demo/online beta for Blazblue Cross Tag Battle, but only available on US/JP eShop I believe (I spotted it while browsing the jp store).

I played a little this morning, never played an 'anime fighter' before but it's quite fun!.
Also I think this was the first time I've properly used the d-pad on the pro-pad as the primary input, feels much better than I expected and had no missed inputs or anything.

Back
Top Bottom