Nintendo Wii Specs Fully Exposed

Man of Honour
Caustic said:
And all I am saying is that these specs look like they can be believed.
I don't doubt that but that is not what you said.

You stated as fact:

Caustic said:
The specs recently released are real. Nintendo might have been playing with other specs before, but these are what they have settled on.

Soldato
Oh I am so sorry. :rolleyes:

Relax.

Edit: I was only trying to be helpful, as there are a lot of 'leaked' specs that are completely rubbish.

Last edited:
Soldato
Nitefly said:
Considering these are supposed to be at least on par with the gamecube, I can't complain. I'm still umming and ahhhh-ing at some of the games on that. Ignoring the latest generation of games for the win!
Wow, imagine if they included the latter part in puzzle games etc :eek:

So you could play a Star Wars game with a REAL Light Saber.. the Wii is getting better and better :)

Associate
it's not gonna have amazing real graphics like PS3 or X360 but Wii wasn't made for that, it's obviously not competing on that side of things.

It's more of a novelty system.

Associate
Tigjaw said:
it's not gonna have amazing real graphics like PS3 or X360 but Wii wasn't made for that, it's obviously not competing on that side of things.

It's more of a novelty system.

I'm not sure judging by the ingame shots & trailer of Sadness I've seen on IGN I think it will more than hold it's own against the PS3 & 360

http://media.wii.ign.com/media/816/816122/img_3569365.html

Not to mention the fact that Red Steel already looks pretty good & I think we might all be pleasently suprised by the graphical capabilities.

Neil

Soldato
Graphics wise it wont be upto the PS3 & Xbox360 standards especially since it wont be in HD (I seem to recall Nintendo saying no HD)

However I still think there will be some great looking games.. RE4 on the cube looked brilliant and the Wii has more power than that

Associate
soundwave said:
I'm not sure judging by the ingame shots & trailer of Sadness I've seen on IGN I think it will more than hold it's own against the PS3 & 360

http://media.wii.ign.com/media/816/816122/img_3569365.html

Not to mention the fact that Red Steel already looks pretty good & I think we might all be pleasently suprised by the graphical capabilities.

Neil

You're right, doesn't look bad but to be honest, they're renders.

I think it sounds like a great system though, I'd rather see something new and different than have another PS or Xb lookalike on the loose.

Soldato
Suprising to see so many gameplay over graphics opinions on here.

I very much doubt the specs are real. If the graphics chip is nothing more than a tarted up Flipper chip, then why did ATI take so long designing it?
It must be somewhat more powerful than that.
And i seem to remember Nintendo licencing some fancy 3D imaging technique that allows the illusion of v.high quality graphics with very little power. Prehaps that'll be used in WII to some extent.

Either way.
Res4 on GC is one of the best looking games out, even if the WII is 'only' twice as powerful, we're gonna be seeing some nice looking games.
Not like it matters though, as long as its fun. :p

Soldato
But that is just it, the Wii has over double the RAM of the GC, but otherwise it is litterly just a GC that has been overclocked by pumping up the FSB by 50%.

The good news is that the RAM will make a big difference, the bad news is a 50% speed boost will not make a night and day difference.

Caporegime
the bad news is that on my HD-TV it will look carp, unless they allow some form of 720p output on it? i have a GC and the gfx leave a fair amount to be desired, and in 2006 i think its important to strike a balance between the 2 in order to be fully competative against Sony/Ms...

Soldato
Caustic said:
But that is just it, the Wii has over double the RAM of the GC, but otherwise it is litterly just a GC that has been overclocked by pumping up the FSB by 50%.
If its just an OCed GC, then ATI & IBM wouldnt have spent so long designing the 2 main chips for the console, especially the former, which is why its not out already.
Theres gonna be more too it than that. Prehaps the new CPU has some extra functions. Prehaps the new gfx chip has more pipelines/shaders.

Soldato
Nickg said:
the bad news is that on my HD-TV it will look carp, unless they allow some form of 720p output on it? i have a GC and the gfx leave a fair amount to be desired, and in 2006 i think its important to strike a balance between the 2 in order to be fully competative against Sony/Ms...
Have you tryed a component cable?
I got a component cable for mine and compared to the standard RGB Scart, its significantely better looking. Add a some NTSC games for ProgScan and it looks better still.
RGB Scart looks awful, whatever the console, on a HDTV.

Man of Honour
Nickg said:
i dont currently run component cable on my GC. but your right it does make a difference, made my PS2 look much better anyway.
common sense really, progressive scan helps loads too. Setting my 360 to 480p (what the Wii will output) still looks nice on my HDTV.

Permabanned
Kreeeee said:
I'm quite relaxed, no need for the rolleyes kid.

He's 26, you're 19 and you're calling him a kid? :D

The specs seem similar to the original Xbox, although most probably the Wii's CPU does more work clock for clock than the Xbox's Celeron did.

I agree with the statement that the specs are largely irrelevant though - what I'm interested in is what games are available and how they perform.

Back
Top Bottom