1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Nisa

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Danger Phoenix, 28 May 2006.

1. Danger Phoenix

Soldato

Are shops allowed to sell goods that have gone past their sell by date?

I just went to my local Nisa, and bought some cans of Coke... the lady at the till mumbled something about the diet ones being cheaper than the normal ones - I didn't ask her why... and when I got home I noticed all of them were past their sell by date (expired in March 2006).

I go back to the store (only 30 secs walk from my place), and complain. First she starts off by telling me that 2006 is next year, until I point to the newspaper, and then she says she will give me a refund. I ask her if shops are allowed to sell expired goods, and she tells me to stop going on about it because she is giving me a refund. At this point I get really annoyed, and tell her that I can go on about it if I want, and its not up to her to decide what I can and cannot do.

:confused:

2. Ex-RoNiN

Capodecina

Take the cans, and the till receipt, and go to your local CAB, they will put you in touch with the appropriate people.

3. ElRazur

Capodecina

My uni shop do too.
    I dont know about the legalities side of things but iirc it should be ok if it is still intact.
    A couple once ate a canned chicken that's about 20years+ or so and they was fine. :)

4. Scuzi

Man of Honour

I don't know the actual law on the matter but I see loads of shops sell stuff past its sell by date for cheaper. I *think* that as long as it's clearly marked as being out of date then it should be OK.

5. Mikoyan

Mobster

you are allowed to sell out of date goods as long as they arent stupidly out of date, but you must make it clear that they are out of date.....

6. Danger Phoenix

Soldato

CAB? The cans have been refunded now... but I can easily go buy some more :D

They aren't marked at all - they are in the fridge just below the normal coke cans. The expired diet coke cans are marked at the standard price of 29p (same as the red cans), but at the till I found out they were 19p. In fact two of them were 19p and one was 29p because it only expired last month, whereas the first two expired in February and March

7. Ricochet J

Capodecina

I've got a Mars bar at home somewhere behind the wardrobe that fell there 9 years ago.

I could ebay it. Do you reckon that would be allowed?

(Edit: I'm not kidding. The Mars bar is there. I just need to fish it out somehow.)

8. Danger Phoenix

Soldato

Ahh well... there was nothing what so ever to indicate they were expired. After I got my refund I asked the lady if they even had any diet coke cans that weren't expired, and she said all the ones in the fridge were expired. If I wanted non-expired ones I would have to buy the multipack from the shelf...

9. theleg

Capodecina

I would have laughed in your face at this point... :rofl:

Did you stamp your feet too?

10. Danger Phoenix

Soldato

Very funny :p

11. Mikoyan

Mobster

lol eXSBass, I suppose that would be fine as long as you state the story of it falling behind the wardrobe for 9 years lol... :p

12. Stellios

Capodecina

Lots of shops do it around here, but they are all in bins that have been labelled as slightly past expiration.

13. iBot

PermaBanned

Sell by and use by dates are totally diffrent things.

14. Danger Phoenix

Soldato

On cans of coke, it says "BEST BEFORE END - see base of can for date"... these are the dates I am talking about... so they are the use by dates...

15. Haircut

Mobster

No they aren't - it was say Use By if it was a use by date.
    All that means is that they recommend the product is consumed by the date shown, there are no claims about whether it will have gone off and poison you if you consume after the best before date.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Best_before

16. Danger Phoenix

Soldato

Ok, fair enough, but the whole question was if Nisa is allowed to sell the items without clearly showing that the goods were past their "Best Before Date"...

17. Mr.Orb

Mobster

I'm sorry... what?!?!? :eek:

How old was she?

18. Danger Phoenix

Soldato

She looks around 26 ish (I don't mean to sound rude, but she looks like a really ugly half english half chinese, whose reached her peak in life and will only ever spend the rest of her life working in Nisa)...

19. theleg

Capodecina

Yeah but youre the one buying diet coke cos its a few pence cheaper :p

20. Gilly

Man of Honour

What the hell kind of can is 29p these days before being discounted?? :eek: