Nlite tweaks and so on

Soldato
Hi,

I'm in the process of creating XP slipstreamed with all the latest updates, unattened etc.

There a few options under teaks and so on, I just wanted to know what you guys recommend I should add, and what options should be enabled/disabled.

Also how would I add SATA drivers?

Btw, When it ask regarding 3rd party themes, does it use uxtheme (neonwin) or some other version?

Soldato
dark_shadow said:
Hi,

I'm in the process of creating XP slipstreamed with all the latest updates, unattened etc.

There a few options under teaks and so on, I just wanted to know what you guys recommend I should add, and what options should be enabled/disabled.

Also how would I add SATA drivers?

Btw, When it ask regarding 3rd party themes, does it use uxtheme (neonwin) or some other version?
For tweaks, the best thing to do would be to go to the MSFN nLite forums and look up each tweak and see what it does.

As for SATA drivers, unpack them from the archive they are in. Then go to the Integrate drivers menu, click on Insert and either single folder option if you just want SATA drivers or multiple folders if you want to integrate the SATA drivers along with all the other motherboard stuff. On-board sound etc. Whichever folder option you choose, navigate to the folder/folders containing the .inf driver files and then OK. nLite should then process the drivers and you'll see them on the menu. You might find this helpful.

Soldato
OP
Great stuff Marc, Under system restore how much % of diskspace should I allocate? (Although I never use SR) Default is 12%.

Also under administrator, should I enable auto logon?

So, I'm wanting to slipstream SATA drivers, should I leave the Oem Preinstall button checked?

Thanks.

Associate
Oem Preinstall means that it copies the $OEM$ folder, from the root of your CD/DVD to the corrosponding folder ($1 etc), if you plan to do an unattended setup of programs (liek silent installs of nero, antivirus etc) then leave this checked.

For System restore, id turn it off, or put it at ~2%, System restore sucks and you can easily use Ghost or any other backup software ratehr than SR.

It uses its own varation of uxTheme Hack, but there is little or no difference and you should be able to use any themes if this is turned to enable.

edit: Forgot to add : For drivers, you need OEM Preinstall as the drivers are placed in the OEM folders when they are integrated, so after setup nLite installs them, so leave it checked for nLite integration of drivers anyway.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Thanks Steve :)

Excuse my nubbyness, but say for example, that I want to integrate the WMP10 pack:

untitled2li8.jpg

Do I just add the rar'd folder or extract everything?

Edit* Just added the whole rar files ass added and it looks fine?:

untitled3dg4.jpg

Last edited:
Associate
I cant make out that pic very well but i think that RAR is in 7z compression? just go into nLite > integrate hotfixes and Update packs, then brose to that 7z file, it will integrate it automatically without extracting it.

Also, RyanVM Integrator is a much cleaner way of integrating his packs, just search his forums for it, it creates a cleaner winnt.sif rather nLite.

Associate
Just integrate it with RyanVM integrator or nLite Hotfix and Update pack integrator tools then :)

And your edit to the above psot looks fine, jsut Next then let it update, also, be careful what components you remove, nLite doesn't make it very clear what each component does, some may be more skin off your nose than you know.

Associate
USB Polling rate/ - If you have a Razer mouse put it to 500, logitech 250, normal optical 125.

The higher the connection the faster your web pages will open, but more easily worms etc spread. 100-200 is fine, if you use torrent, put it ~500.

SFC is worthless and annoying disable it.

Soldato
OP
:cool:

Another Question, Can I integrate my current 'Fonts' folder?

Also how would I go about adding my own apps such as VLC, Media Player Classic, Bitcomet and so on . .

Thanks

Edit* Would it also be worth removing Manual Install and Upgrade?

Last edited:
Associate
Fonts - Inside your CD create a folder called $OEM$ (in the root of your cd like: C:/My nLite/XP Pro custom 1/Cd1/$OEM$)

Inside that folder create a folder called $$ (C:/My nLite/XP Pro custom 1/Cd1/$OEM$/$$)

Then inside that create the folder Fonts (C:/My nLite/XP Pro custom 1/Cd1/$OEM$/$$/Fonts) then put your fonts in there. Try this too.

Adding your own apps gets complicated. Try this.

Manual Install and Upgrade? Explain where you seen this. :)

Soldato
dark_shadow said:
Great stuff Marc, Under system restore how much % of diskspace should I allocate? (Although I never use SR) Default is 12%.

Also under administrator, should I enable auto logon?

So, I'm wanting to slipstream SATA drivers, should I leave the Oem Preinstall button checked?

Thanks.
Sorry, been at work for the last 5 hours or so. I don't bother with System Restore so I disable it. As for Administrator, I have my own account, I don't use Administrator so I don't have auto logon enabled.

Not sure about the OEM preinstall button checking. Give it a try and see what happens.

Soldato
Are you guys talking about the "built into Windows" System Restore features?
Please don't disable it - it can be an absolute lifesaver and with the size of HD's today you really are not going to worry about the amount of HD space you lose to it.
There is no performance hit from having it running, the only thing you are losing is a little HD space.

I work on PC's for a living, less so general desktops these days as an IT Manager as I've got networks, servers and the like to keep an eye on.
However I still get my fair share of machines and of course there are plenty of family & friends who always want machines looking at.

Things go wrong and they can go spectacularly wrong.
Even the most careful computer user can and will make mistakes - such users I've seen bring in a machine for me to look at with a massive Spyware or Virus infection (virus because somebody in a forum like this will say "I only run a scan each week and turn off full scanning because it reduces my performance").
The ability to SR a system back 24, 48hrs, maybe 4-5 days is excellent.
No dataloss (only installed applications) and a machine back to how it was 3 days previous before it all went wrong and the whole process taking a matter of minutes.

When I get a machine in distress and I then find SR disabled because the user is "advanced" or his read in a forum to do so it makes me mad.
Maybe SR wouldn't have saved the day, but at the same time if it had been able to it would have done so in 5 minutes tops.
Keep SR running!!

Soldato
OP
I'm going to try my set up on Virtual PC.

Could someone please confirm that it won't touch my other partitioned drives?

I have the following set up with C: being Windows drive:

drivesmm1.jpg

Also how would I go about setting the registry value of program files to default to F:?

I guess I could that manually after but it would be nice to know :)

*Edit - Nevermind, I'll do it manually as it looks rather complictaed on the site :o

Soldato
OP
Steve Watford said:
Also, you know that ntfs functions better as a single HD than partitioned, right?
Wasn't aware of that but Data and apps are stored as listed so it's no biggy :)

My data on other partition won't be affected will it?

p.s Steve, you're always around at the right times :D

Back
Top Bottom