No bass coming from speakers. VW transporter T5.1

Soldato
Hi all,

A week or so ago I noticed that the sound was suddenly really tinny in the van.

There just doesn't seem to be any bass at all coming from the speakers.

I've taken the factory head unit out and unplugged and plugged everything back in. Cables and connector look fine. Checked fuse on the back of the unit and it's fine.
Ive also checked all the settings and tried turning the bass up to max but still no bass but noticeable distortion in music quality.

I've taken the door card off and checked the speakers and wires that end. The speaker still works and vibrates but only treble and no bass.

No bass from any of the speakers.

Im guessing it could be a faulty head unit, something to do with the built in amp as it's both speakers in the doors that seem to be suffering.

Any ideas peeps?

Soldato
OP
It might have a separate bass speaker, so could be an issue with that or the cross over. Bass is less directional so even in a stereo system you might only have a since bass speaker.
I've had a bit of a look and can't see that there is any speakers other than the front dash tweeters and the door speakers

Soldato
OP
Hi azazl187!
Did you find the root cause of the no bass issue?
I have a vw T5 multivan and I lost the bass from the front door speakers. The back speakers are working fine. Thank you!
Yes I did bud! I ended up just buying new speakers and fitting those. It sorted the issue right away even though I couldn't see anything visibility wrong with the old ones.

Poor thread management there from me. I should have returned with my fix.

Soldato
OP
Thank you for the information. It looks the speakers are blown in my car as well. What kind of speakers did you buy? Size in diameter? Wattage ? Ohm?
Thank you!
These are the speakers and specs -

Volkswagen VW Transporter T5.1 JVC 6.3/4" Inch 17cm (600 Watt a Pair Total) 2 Way Front Door Car Speakers & Brackets/Connectors

Main Features:

• 600 watts peak power (pair)
  • 300 watts peak power (each)
  • 30 watts RMS output
  • 2 Way
  • Frequency Response: 30 - 22,000Hz
  • Impendance: 4 Ohms
  • Sound Pressure Level: 92dB/W.m
  • 17cm (6.3/4'') Mica Cone Woofer
  • 25mm (1'') Poly-Ether Imide Balanced Tweeter
  • Ferrite Magnet (Woofer)
  • Neodymium Magnet (Tweeter)
  • Hybrid Surround
  • Mounting Depth: 44 mm (1-3/4'')
From the bay of the E. ;)

Associate
These are the speakers and specs -

Volkswagen VW Transporter T5.1 JVC 6.3/4" Inch 17cm (600 Watt a Pair Total) 2 Way Front Door Car Speakers & Brackets/Connectors

Main Features:

• 600 watts peak power (pair)
  • 300 watts peak power (each)
  • 30 watts RMS output
  • 2 Way
  • Frequency Response: 30 - 22,000Hz
  • Impendance: 4 Ohms
  • Sound Pressure Level: 92dB/W.m
  • 17cm (6.3/4'') Mica Cone Woofer
  • 25mm (1'') Poly-Ether Imide Balanced Tweeter
  • Ferrite Magnet (Woofer)
  • Neodymium Magnet (Tweeter)
  • Hybrid Surround
  • Mounting Depth: 44 mm (1-3/4'')
From the bay of the E. ;)
This has happened to me and my 2014 Transporter Trendline. So weird how both speakers lost bass at the same time. I'm still in the process of troubleshooting and sorting out - suspecting it's the head unit too but after coming across this post might try a speaker replacement first!

Were these speakers a straight swap?

Back
Top Bottom