No faith in Corsair need advice on PSU 850W-1000W

Associate
Hey guys,
Sadly I’ve got a bit of a horror story, that left me absolutely paranoid on picking a new power supply...
Around a month ago my power supply Corsair HX750i have malfunctioned and killed absolutely everything inside, after only 1 year of use. No offence to Overclockers, but stupid me, I bought half the items from ******, as it was "cHeApEr"... and the funny thing was, that the first power supply they send me was faulty...On top of this tragedy I was foolish enough to trust their policies promising to cover manufacturer’s warranty...Which they didn’t, they refused to return the items stopping me going direct with manufacturers, they refused to exchange them and they simply scammed me by giving me only partial refund for power supply, motherboard and processor...
I have lost all faith in Corsair power supplies, I’m simply too scared to touch them after what happened. Can someone give me any advice on a good reliable brand for a power supply 850W-1000W? At this point I cant care less how much it costs...I had my eye on Seasonic Titanium series, that’s the only brand that offers 12 year warranty, but it’s out of stock everywhere!...Asus Rog Thor doesn’t look too bad either, so does EVGA SuperNOVA...I don’t know, I need help

Soldato
PSUs have warranty so I would suggest you take this up with Corsair, you may get some money back for the damaged components as well - I would push this harder and get more back if they fell short.

As for an 850w+ PSU, Seasonic would def be a good shout, as would Phanteks and Superflower.

Associate
OP
****** has refused to give my items back, I have contacted Corsair explaining the situation and sadly they have told me that suppliers create their own Terms and Conditions and they CAN do whatever they want and Corsair have no power over that. It was my own mistake on trusting there advertisement saying that they cover 2-3 years manufacturer’s warranty, while in reality they only give you partial refund and replace the damaged into new ones and place them back on sale. Lesson learned for me i guess, next time i will go directly with manufacturers

Associate
Thats sad news.

I had an issue once where a product damaged my motherboard, one item was badly finished and shorted the motherboard where it had cut in. I ordered a replacement motherboard, was going to return the product, but CoolerMaster were pretty concerned, asked for pictures and made a nice effort to help me out, when I told them I had already ordered a new motherboard they offered new fittings for my CPU cooler that had caused the issue which really was simply a bad finish on one of the nuts that fits the cooler bracket, and a complimentary gift from thier product range, I mentioned the system and a few other things and they sent me a CM V-1000 PSU, it used to run two HD7950's, both the cooler and psu have worked flawlessly since. Superb customer service. And CoolerMaster dealt with me directly.

Yesterday was the 1st time I ever experienced a blown PSU. I bought the original Seasonic X-650 when it was released and reviewed, I think 2009? Its been in two or three systems since, and sat in this system since 2011 I think. Well last night while gaming my PC simply shut off, dead. I played around with the PSU cable, plugged it into another PC and it was fine, plugged it back in, my PC powered up, so turned it off, re-dressed my cable, and again the PC would not power on, noticed a crackle as I played with the rocker switch.

I feel so lucky as the PC is back up and running by simply fitting a new PSU and so far it looks like no hardware has been damaged, only issue is cables are shorter and there are a few less than I had with the old PSU.
New PSU is another 650w model, Snow Silent series Platinum, 12yr guarantee. Original X series was 5yr guarantee. Shame as I have the original box etc for teh old X-650 and it still looks new. If only Seasonic could repair it at a fraction of the cost of replacing. But I am so grateful that nothing in my PC was damaged when the PSU died.

There isnt a huge amount of difference in efficiency between Gold, Platimum, Titanium, real difference is connections, Titanium would have been nicer as it came with a few more cables, though they are all still too short.

Associate
OP
EsaT the fist corsair hx750i they send me had a high pitch sound so i contacted them and asked for replacment, the second (different serial number) they send me was exactly the same. I rang them up again and i was told that its fine so i believed them. Im not sure if psu killed everything for sure, but i send them psu, motherboard and cpu because there was a clear burn mark around cpu and on cpu. I have tested gpu at my friends house, that was dead, memory should be ok and currently im in the process of returning corsair cooling h150i liquid as i suspect that died too... the only thing that upsets me the most is the fact that i built it just a year ago...

Man of Honour
****** has refused to give my items back, I have contacted Corsair explaining the situation and sadly they have told me that suppliers create their own Terms and Conditions and they CAN do whatever they want and Corsair have no power over that. It was my own mistake on trusting there advertisement saying that they cover 2-3 years manufacturer’s warranty, while in reality they only give you partial refund and replace the damaged into new ones and place them back on sale. Lesson learned for me i guess, next time i will go directly with manufacturers

Sadly you made the mistake of buying from this scumbag company. A while back they had a ongoing competition between their "customer service" people of who could reject the most RMA's and someone took pictures and posted it on the net. They may be cheaper sometimes but it all goes to pot when something goes wrong. Scam (Bolton outfit) are just as bad and is another retailer to avoid. It's a bit late now but you would have been better going straight through Corsair as they operate a case by case basis when it comes to replacing hardware damaged by it's PSU's and AIO's and would likely have got everything replaced.

Associate
Curious, but why do you need a 850 - 1000w power supply?
Did you have the HX750i in multi or single rail mode?

If you are worried about PSU reliability go for a lower power unit with multiple rails and lots of protection - that way it is less likely to take out other components if it lets the smoke out.

Associate
OP
Im being forced to re-build my pc again and im already on the waiting list for gigabyte aorus 3080 xtreme, which has recomended 850w psu, 1000w is slightly overkill, but with 10+ year warranty and hopefully titanium i dont see too many downsides to going 1000w looking foward to the future

Associate
Im being forced to re-build my pc again and im already on the waiting list for gigabyte aorus 3080 xtreme, which has recomended 850w psu, 1000w is slightly overkill, but with 10+ year warranty and hopefully titanium i dont see too many downsides to going 1000w looking foward to the future
Which PSU are you going for?

Associate
OP
Ozone, im thinking about seasonic, seems to be a strong brand with the longest warranty of 12 years, they must trully believe in there quality i guess. Got no rush in buying it yet as i have no clue when gpu will be re-stocked.
Strocky, i have private messaged you the company, i dont want to upset overclockers as there must be a reason for them to blur the companys name, its E-b-u-y-e-r. Hopefully this wont get me in trouble

Associate
Ozone, im thinking about seasonic, seems to be a strong brand with the longest warranty of 12 years, they must trully believe in there quality i guess. Got no rush in buying it yet as i have no clue when gpu will be re-stocked.
Strocky, i have private messaged you the company, i dont want to upset overclockers as there must be a reason for them to blur the companys name, its Hopefully this wont get me in trouble
D'oh :D

Soldato
i don't suppose a credit card purchase would provide any cover for your failed PSU?
i'm a bit puzzled by the Corsair comment trying to brush it off onto the supplier - when i got my new RM750x Corsair say themselves that the unit has a ten year warranty.
my previous RM750 ran for about 6 years w/out a hitch which is why i went for them again, i know what you mean about a bad experience colouring your feelings for a maker though.

Back
Top Bottom