No Man's Sky

Soldato
Today's minor update added a 30FPS lock switch, turn it off and you'll be getting far better FPS even on a standard PS4, makes my fan kick right in though, I really must get around to applying some new thermal paste :)

Yeah frame boost is nice, looks like (though I'm not sure) that the timestep isn't fixed though, not for everything. Particle effects in particular run the simulation faster.

Soldato
So anyone else jumped back in now 1.3 is out?

I loaded up my old save game briefly last night, hadn't played since January but to be honest I haven't played much of anything besides Zelda since launch day...

Looks like they've continued to try and improve the game.

I didn't experience any of the new stuff yet, tempted to start a new game and experience the updated Atlas path that way but doesn't seem like it would make much difference and I've gone through some of the grind which I don't fancy repeating.

If anyone else is keen to discuss 1.3 can I just ask that we don't start the whole Sean is a liar argument, whatever side you're on we know what happened, let's just move on. :)

Soldato
I've been playing this again since 1.3 release.

Albeit in creative mode.

It has changed so much since initial release a year ago. Having a good time just flying from planet to planet absorbing the views. Found an S class ship which I'm really happy with too ! It's really different from any of the other normal ships.

Man of Honour
I take it the new update hasn't changed the way you turn your back and content from a couple of minutes back has randomly regenerated?

Soldato
I take it the new update hasn't changed the way you turn your back and content from a couple of minutes back has randomly regenerated?
Not sure. I'm usually just driving round the planets in one of the three land vehicles. Looking for good screenshots !

Playing in 4K really makes my pro sound like it's gonna sprout wings and take off! :D

this would be good if at least just for the immediate 5 miles around you or something. leave the planet or go some real distance and it regens, but at least give you some sort of distance before it does this. we wont ever see minecraft sort of thing where you can travel forver, as deep as you like and it all kept

Soldato
I started playing again today. My previous save file had only 6 hours on the clock. Figured best to start a new game.

The update is great making the game feels way more substantial than ever before. I'm really enjoying it. There's a real sense of wonder and exploration which now feels quite polished. I was contemplating Elite Dangerous, but I think I can sink some serious time and enjoyment with NMS now.

I wonder how much further they will be taking it. The MP aspect surely can be built upon, so that the other players are fully rendered, opposed to just orbs of light.

Agree about the Pro's fan speed! It's full on take off mode very often! I've stuck to 4K mode for now, but am tempted tomorrow to check out the 1080 mode. Shame these options can't be flicked from an in game menu.

The MP aspect surely can be built upon, so that the other players are fully rendered, opposed to just orbs of light.

i guess thinking about it, you probably are just a floating orb in the game any way as such. i've never played the game, but from what i remember watching on twitch, do you "walk" up stairs or float up them? if they add full MP where you can see other players, they have to add in full character creation, animations, connecting the floor etc, and everything that comes with that to make your character feel real

Soldato
i guess thinking about it, you probably are just a floating orb in the game any way as such. i've never played the game, but from what i remember watching on twitch, do you "walk" up stairs or float up them? if they add full MP where you can see other players, they have to add in full character creation, animations, connecting the floor etc, and everything that comes with that to make your character feel real

Proper multiplayer is coming, on the official release page it states as follows:

While interaction with others is currently very limited, this is an important first step into the world of synchronous co-op in No Man’s Sky.

Associate
So it's now the full on multiplayer experience that we were all sold originally ?
I'm reluctant to believe anything from Shaun Murray tbh

I'm sure I remember Shaun Murray being very clear before its release that its not a multiplayer game. He did say it would be possible to see someone else (which turned out to be a lie), but did say you would not be able to interact with them, and the odds of ever seeing anyone were tiny. The big fuss everyone made about lack of multiplayer always confused me, they were very clear from the start.

Pre-ordered this game at full price, not touched it in a long time, maybe its time to have another look. I didn't hate the original release as much as everyone else, but it lacked the variety I was expecting.

The big fuss everyone made about lack of multiplayer always confused me, they were very clear from the start.
they really were not. not wanting to go full into this discussion again as it was clearly done a year ago enough and the overall majority agreed we were flat out lied to many times over, but here's just some examples

q: will you be able to play with friends.
a: yes

q: will you be able to grief other players

q: will you be able to see yourself
a: the only way to see what you look like will for someone else to see you

q: can you run into other players in the game
a: yes but the chances are incredibly rare JUST because of the size

q: how much interaction with others will there be?
a: you could encounter other players but the reality of that happening is tiny

Last edited:
Soldato
they really were not. not wanting to go full into this discussion again as it was clearly done a year ago enough and the overall majority agreed we were flat out lied to many times over, but here's just some examples

q: will you be able to play with friends.

q: will you be able to grief other players

q: will you be able to see yourself
a: the only way to see what you look like will for someone else to see you

q: can you run into other players in the game
a: yes but the chances are incredibly rare JUST because of the size

q: how much interaction with others will there be?
a: you could encounter other players but the reality of that happening is tiny

Exactly my issue with this team, they won't get another £ of my money

Soldato
^^Beautiful.

I bought this digitally when PS store knocked the price down as I knew they were going to continue to try and finish the game :) Really need to go back to it. Haven't played it since I gave up on it 2 weeks after release. Sold the physical copy and bought it again later.

Back
Top Bottom