No Passengers until a years experience..

Soldato
I may be a fairly new driver, however, i have seen some damn stupid driving by those twice, maybe 3 times my age. Ive seen a fair number of older drivers be very dangerous on the road, whether they realised it or not. To say that all young drivers are stupid is wrong and very short sighted. Everyone makes mistakes as a new driver, its inevitable, however i agree there are some drivers who just shouldnt be on the road, the majority of which are my age.

Raising the age of driving may solve this, however please not for a couple of years at least.

Rob (driving for 7 months - nill incidents, nill close calls)

Associate
quotes taken from directline,

male, licence held for 0 years, no convictions,no ncb,10,000 miles peryear, fully comp
car is a ford focus 1.6LX 1999 valued at 3000

30 yr old male= £520.80

17 yr old male =£1827

now if younger people do not cause more accidents then why is this ?
i think young people are trying to kid themselves.

Soldato
Malachy said:
quotes taken from directline,

male, licence held for 0 years, no convictions,no ncb,10,000 miles peryear, fully comp
car is a ford focus 1.6LX 1999 valued at 3000

30 yr old male= £520.80

17 yr old male =£1827

now if younger people do not cause more accidents then why is this ?
i think young people are trying to kid themselves.

I think insurance companies are taking the liberty.

I got several quotes of >£2000 for a 10 year old Fiesta :eek:

Amazingly the Coupe I'm getting is only gonna cost me £1700 :D

Associate
Cyanide said:

no its just dermograhics, a 17yr old in a fiesta probably is quite comon to crashhowever the 17yr olds on there records probably have a low rate of crashes.
its also why at 17 you can insure an omega or a larger car cheaper than your barried up paxo maxo saxo mainly because the type of people who wil lchoose that do nto fit the dermographic that is likely to bend it.

Suspended
Cyanide said:

An insurance company `taking liberties' would be charging a lot more to those who could afford it, and to be fair it's not going to be your average 17 year old male driver.

The fact is that experience counts for more than what an in-experienced driver is going to be aware of or realise. Of course an in-experienced young driver won't know or realise this for many years. Certain other demographics come into the picture but the bottom line is, when you're new to it, what can you possibly hope to know ?

It isn't about one upmanship, or trying to be smart here. I simply know as I sit here now writing this that when I was 17 I was a far far greater liability, no question about that. I think almost any driver in thier 30's or 40's or more would undoubtedly agree. I thought I knew it all at that age, and whether I actually did or not didn't change the fact that I lacked experience.

Soldato
But surely as young males are statistically more likely to crash we should get charged a lot more at first (which we do) and much higher no claims bonus when we don't? :D

Suspended
Cyanide said:
But surely as young males are statistically more likely to crash we should get charged a lot more at first (which we do) and much higher no claims bonus when we don't? :D

One's no claim bonus doesn't change one's latent potential to crash or be crashed into. Thats a misnomer, so it's the same for all there :p ;)

Soldato
Mox3d said:
One's no claim bonus doesn't change one's latent potential to crash or be crashed into. Thats a misnomer, so it's the same for all there :p ;)

But a no claims bonus is a reward for a previous years worth of driving without incident, and as we're more likely to crash the reward for not doing so should be higher to promote safer driving :D

If we do happen to crash then bye goes the big no claims and back comes the high premium, simple :)

Soldato
I can't see what difference it would make.

A years experience of what? Boy racing for another year? Drink driving for another year?

Maturity is the primary factor here not experience.

Suspended
Enfield said:
I can't see what difference it would make.

A years experience of what? Boy racing for another year? Drink driving for another year?

Maturity is the primary factor here not experience.

Maturity is synonymous with experience.

Soldato
Mox3d said:
Maturity is synonymous with experience.

Whilst I see where you are coming from...i.e more experience you get older obviously but I mean like you could be mature and still be 17 and also not every one is a boyracer.

I'm not too great at explaining myself as you can see. :)

Suspended
Cyanide said:
But a no claims bonus is a reward for a previous years worth of driving without incident, and as we're more likely to crash the reward for not doing so should be higher to promote safer driving :D

If we do happen to crash then bye goes the big no claims and back comes the high premium, simple :)

I'm sorry. I ommitted to mention the potential for theft :D Move to John O Groats, have a sex change to be a girl/woman with name change to suit! Hehe. Don't get me wrong, I can see your point. A no claims bonus is just that. It isn't based upon any other factor as far as I know.

Suspended
Enfield said:
Whilst I see where you are coming from...i.e more experience you get older obviously but I mean like you could be mature and still be 17 and also not every one is a boyracer.

I'm not too great at explaining myself as you can see. :)

I'm wth ya here I think. What I did suggest earlier was that looking back to when I was 17, I know I was a greater liability. This is despite the fact that at 17 yrs old I really felt that I was a good driver, respectful, mature, didn't hit things, always parked sensibly, lived in the sticks and all that. I'm 37 now going on 17 lol, but what I thought I appreciated then doesn't change the fact that I still lacked in so many ways.

Hopefully that makes more sense my friend. It's not always easy quanitizing it I know, look at me lol. But all in all that's life, and most of these these things are the `risks' that all insurers consider.

M0T

M0T

Soldato
I drive better with other people in my car, I'd rather not hurt anyone I care about.

Plus this would just encourage greater car use in an age when we should really be encouraging car pooling and fewer journeys. Imagine it, instead of 1 person taking 3 people everywhere, suddenly you have 4 people in 4 cars. Great idea :rolleyes:

You should not introduce laws to protect stupid people from themselves, its called natural selection for a reason.

Back
Top Bottom