No post? - SOLVED

Associate
Hi everyone,

I recently bought:

Corsair Vengeance LPX Black 32GB (2x16GB) 3600 MHz AMD Ryzen Tuned DDR4

Initially this ram was intended to replace my old RAM:

Corsair Vengeance LPX 8GB (2x4GB) DDR4 PC4-21300C16 2666MHz

I read online that "Ryzen Tuned" is simply marketing nonsense and it does work perfectly fine on Intel systems.

However on my system I was not able to post:

MSI Z170A Krait Gaming Intel Z170 (Socket 1151) DDR4 ATX Motherboard
Intel Core i7-6700K 4.0GHz (Skylake) Socket LGA1151 Processor - OEM

Putting my old ram back allowed my PC to run perfectly normal again.

I contacted OCUK and they allowed me to replace it, and to my disappointment still no POST. Interestingly enough before I got round to updating my BIOS (waiting on my RTX 3080) my OS decided to die on me.

I then since bought a new PC and finished building it:

Intel Core i9-10900KF 3.7GHz (Comet Lake) Socket LGA1200 Processor - OEM
MSI MEG Z490 Unify (Socket LGA 1200) DDR4 ATX Motherboard

And again, the PC will not POST with the RAM I kept. Everything seems fine, RGBs are lit, fans are running but still no POST. I have no LEDs on the motherboard other than Q codes on the bottom next to the power & reset buttons saying "A1" and after resetting the CMOS "A2". Which in my manual refers to "Pre-Memory PCH initialisation (PCH module specific)"

How is this even possible? Is it definitely supposed to be compatible? I returned the old RAM which OCUK told me was faulty and still no POST, and even in a new system no POST. It's driving me crazy.

Unfortunately replacing the RAM on my new build takes a lot of time so I'm likely going to try swapping the RAM for my old RAM again tomorrow, but if you guys have any ideas/suggestions that would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
The RAM should have worked on the old system and on the new system. Getting a second faulty set seems very unlikely, but if something happened to the batch, then I guess it is possible.

Associate
OP
Just inserted some old RAM, unfortunately still no POST. I guess it's now either the CPU or Motherboard which sucks considering they're both new. Don't have any spare LGA 1200 motherboards/CPUs laying around so I'm probably just going to send it somewhere to be looked at. The CPU did come with a big scratch on the front at the time so who knows, OEM shipping isn't the best so I guess it could be DOA.

Ideally I would send it to OCUK since they can RMA on the spot if they can identify what is going wrong inside the system. But I'm not entirely sure if they do repairs outside of systems they build themselves.

Associate
OP
Have you checked motherboard cpu socket for any bent pins ?
I checked before installing and it looked good (as far as I could tell), I took great care placing the cpu so there shouldn't be any issues with the pins. I'll get some thermal paste over the weekend and check again.

Associate
OP
Have you checked motherboard cpu socket for any bent pins ?
Wow, just tried using my HDMI cable instead of DP and it worked. Apparently it's an issue with the BIOS which doesn't allow it to work with DP. Pretty crazy considering this board has an RRP of £290 and there are issues like this. There is a BIOS update that fixes this issue, but this is definitely something that could stump a lot of people building a fresh system.

Man of Honour
Wow, just tried using my HDMI cable instead of DP and it worked. Apparently it's an issue with the BIOS which doesn't allow it to work with DP. Pretty crazy considering this board has an RRP of £290 and there are issues like this. There is a BIOS update that fixes this issue, but this is definitely something that could stump a lot of people building a fresh system.
Yes you gotta try a lot of things and most people dont have miltiple cables to try.

This is more common than people realise after updating the bios but we tend to think its a major hardware Issuie.

Glad you sorted it.

Back
Top Bottom