Nokia N97 (new) for £180...do i risk it?

Soldato
This is a scam steer well clear of this, i put my n95 on the bay last week it sold to some one from nigeria who didnt pay up but sent a spoof email from paypal claiming to have paid, avoid avoid!

Soldato
OP
Aha, thanks guys!

Noticed the date and time on the Phone?;)
Ask him for his email address - 100% sure it wont be a Gmail as it is in the picture.
Edit: Is his email address a Gmail?

I should really learn to take more notice.
and no its a hotmail address

No probs man
BTW, If you look closer at the Facebook widget you will see a name of Paul Jacobson
Put that into Google and the results will be a technology blog :rolleyes:
I put in Nokia N97 29 May in the search bar and found this - http://www.google.co.za/url?sa=t&so...D5UHq51BynQPuy54g&sig2=tTrFi2cdCy2RWMHi_bOIfw
Check out the pics under the video...
Very well noticed as well!

You guys are very good, im impressed ;)

It's a scam. Through and through. Don't get suckered and report it to ebay ASAP so some other poor sod doesn't either.
How much do these phones normally go for on the ebay?
Its not on ebay, its on www.gumtree.com
and they retail for ~£450 new

Also on the slid open view it has the weather, that is done on the phone's location, and is in Johanesburg. :/

Edit: The photos are from Flickr on the blog linked above. :)
getting bored of saying this now.....very good! :p

oh and to my last email which i sent to him asking why the network was MTN, he said:
Hi, the phone was a gift from a my son, and i don't need it! i don't know where he got it from? i never thought to ask! as far as i am aware it is a uk model! but if you think there is something wrong with it? then ok, you don't need to buy it!
I am happy to wait for someone interested in it.

HMMM! ;)

Associate
As for the pictures, you could use a exif data viewer and it should give you the exact point the photo was taken, to the road.

I use this, but it's not working atm.

I'm sure some browsers come with a add-on for this anyway.

Soldato
OP
Im about to send this email back to him, anything else i should add? :p

Give it up and stop trying to scam people you sneaky ******* rat.
How do I know its a scam? Say thank you to my fellow detectives over at OcUK.

So to begin with:

1. not even a complete moron would sell a brand new £500 phone for £180
2. the phone network is MTN which is the biggest service provider in South Africa.
3. the weather shown on the phone says "Johannesburg 13 degrees C". Hmmm, Johannesburg is in South Africa is it not? and with it being a smart phone the location automatically updates its self.
4. the date on the phone is fri 29/05/2009 (which is not today over here in the UK...) and the time is 8.14.
5. the name on the facebook widget is of Paul Jacobson, googling this name brings up a technology blog and searching for "Nokia N97 29 May" brings up.... http://pauljacobson.org/2009/05/29/i-found-n-first-impressions-of-a-nokia-n97/ . Now i know where you got the pictures from or maybe you just have the same name and took the pictures at the exact same time as he did and on the same desk...? (look at the pictures under the video on that page)
6. in this modern world, most things that look too good to be true are too good to be true. Have a sarcastic internet cookie (http://www.babble.com/CS/blogs/strollerderby/2009/06/chocolate_chip_cookie.jpg) for further demolishing what very little trust there is in the modern day towards complete strangers.

Go get a real job.

Soldato
Im about to send this email back to him, anything else i should add? :p

He's not going to give a crap. Why go to all the effort.

As for finding scams, look on ebay for the going rate and then subtract applicable fees. If its selling for any less, then always try and work out why.

Soldato
OP
and his reply is...

I'll have you know Mr Phillips that firstly? I do not have a camera to take pictures of the phone! so I lied and googled some! secondly my son did get it for me, but as I am not into modern technology I don't want it! and thirdly? I am a police officer! so if I choose to sell it at 20 pounds? its of no loss to me! you wanted pictures of the phone and I couldn't provide them! so if I had of said I had no pictures you would have said I was scamming still?
at the end of the day? it can sit in its box on the shelf and I would not give a damn!
I don't have to answer to you.
But I will tell you something for nothing sunshine? I dare you come say that to my face? easy to call someone and a liar and a cheat hiding behind your computer screen? but you would not have the balls to come say it to my face! I doubt it very much, because I would arrest your sorry ass.....I have now chosen not to take paypal, and collection in person! so you are the one who has lost out, not me! good day

hmm...
a few things still a tad 'fishy'
1) He lied on the off.
2) If he didn't want it im sure he would have just given it back to his son or actually checked to see how much it's worth. even if you dont want something you don't sell it for the 3rd of the price you could get for it.
3) "I am a police officer! so if I choose to sell it at 20 pounds? its of no loss to me!" how is it of no loss to him just because he is a police officer? :confused:
4) He really needs to learn how to use question marks :p
and to him saying "I dare you come say that to my face"......keyboard at the ready! :D

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom