1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Non-System Disk, Press any key

Discussion in 'Storage Drives' started by robinbredin, 6 Oct 2009.

1. robinbredin

Wise Guy

Hi, What it is. I was on the Seagate web site, and downloaded this utitity ms-sd1a, which checks for updates to your drive. When it bootup an application is supposed to open, but it does not. What happens now, when the Dell splash screen appears, the next screen says, 'Non-System Disk, Press any key'. Well I do this and the systems starts up. How do I get rid of this Non System disk message.Ps I used that Seagate 'Download SD1A Firmware update utility':confused:

Last edited: 6 Oct 2009
  2. tastingtowns

Associate

Sounds like it's trying to boot from first a non-system disk (sorry to state the obvious!), then goes to the bootable drive next when you press a key. Check the boot order in the bios.

If that's not it, I'd hazard a guess that the firmware utility may create a partition on your boot drive to update the firmware from, then erases it - leaving the bios trying to boot to the missing partition. If that's the case, they probably just didn't test it with dell's idiosyncratic bios is all.

3. JonJ678

Capodecina

Most likely is the you have a usb stick/hard drive plugged in, and unplugging it will solve the issue.

If the partition table on the drive is gone, bad luck. Hope you have a back up of your data

4. EffBee

Wise Guy

Or non bootable floopy disk in the floppy disk drive.

5. robinbredin

Wise Guy

I dont have an floppy drive.

I haven't got any of them

Went into the BIOS, and the boot order is ok, it's set to boot off the hard drive. Went into Disk management, and found no partition.

6. Farore

Gangster

Yes, but you must set the order in which your hard disks boot. I too have had this problem when I once accidentaly tried to boot my PC with one power cable left out of my RAID hard drives. Once I reconnected it, I tried to boot again but I got the same error as you. I had to move the hard drive to top of the hard drive list in BIOS to make it work again.

Farore

7. robinbredin

Wise Guy

pressed F2, and the BIOS is set to boot off the HD which is at the top.

8. robinbredin

Wise Guy

You might have something there, my BIOS setup is as follows,

Boot Order: 500GB on SATA Port 0

320GB on SATA port 5

Cd Rom

First Boot; Hard Drive

Second Boot: Hard Drive

Third Boot: CD Rom

9. bledd

Don

if the boot order is correct

download this ISO

http://partedmagic.com/

burn with imgburn

boot from cd, see if you can view it in there..

if drive seems empty (gparted is a partition manager, you can view your partitions in here), then use testdisk (from that cd) to recreate the partition table for that drive

10. robinbredin

Wise Guy

Hi, Got it at last,and I did not even have to reinstall my Op to fix it. What i did was to boot off my Vista disc, select Repair your Computer, select Command Prompt, then typed in bootrec /fixmbr, then rebooted and it was fixed. Remember to leave a space between the c and / .

11. Guest2

Capodecina

Ive had this a few times, luckily i have a system backup drive which i just boot off, then clone it back to the drive with Acronis true image