1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Noob wanting to install Ubuntu on netbook

Discussion in 'Linux & Open Source' started by WatchTower, 13 Oct 2009.

1. WatchTower

Mobster

I've always wanted to try Linux but always been a little scared of it in case I could net get to grips with it. I thought bugger it and I found Ubuntu have a version of Linux specially for netbooks. Is that version good for a novice and will it run fine on my Acer Aspire One netbook?

I'm going to try and find drivers now and watch some videos on how to use Linux on Youtube. Can I learn much by just playing around with the OS? I think that's how I learned most things with Windows.

2. craptakular

Capodecina

You shouldn't have to install drivers as they already should be there! Are you referring to Ubuntu netbook remix or the LPIA (atom optimized version)?

I only asdk as I just bought my 1st netbook in town yesterday, got a Toshiba NB100 for £150 new, is it a good deal? Anyway...

I think the netbook reflux version should be optimised for netbooks, so should work out of the box.

Just back up all your data on your netbook before you start playing!

3. WatchTower

Mobster

I downloaded Ubuntu Netbook Remix. The N100 sounds like a good deal. I payed over about £245 for my Acer when they came out.

4. WatchTower

Mobster

How do I installed from a USB flash drive? I moved the img to a usb flashdrive and then set my netbook to boot from it but I just get error.

5. .walls

Wise Guy

6. WatchTower

Mobster

Yay I have it installed but installing flash10 is a pain. I keep getting this message

Error: Dependency is not satisfiable: libnspr4-dev

I downloaded Ubuntu version too.

7. BigglesPiP

Capodecina

Ubuntu netbook remix contains all the drivers for the Aspitre one, you will not need to install any drivers after installing the OS, this is the way linux tries to operate, and these days Ubuntu manage it on about 75% of machines.

It's relatively easy to use, you can probably manage without dipping into the command line. And the UI is very good at not wasting space on the small screen.

8. daz

Capodecina

Ubuntu Netbook Remix is nice but I think it's a bit heavyweight still for my Acer One. Changed the window manager from Metacity to openbox which was a big performance improvement, but I think I might look to moving from Ubuntu to crunchbang or something similarly stripped down.

9. Minto

Hitman

are you installing through the package manager or did you download flash?

If you downloaded it, then try installing "ubuntu-restricted-extras" through add/remove programs in the applications menu. That will pull down flash, msfonts and loads of other useful stuff. (though this might still be flash 9)

If flash 10 (not 9) is important, then try looking in synaptic for the lib you're missing (system->administration->synaptic package manager)

10. WatchTower

Mobster

I downloaded

(libnspr4-dev_4.7.5-0ubuntu0.9.04.1_i386.deb) and installed it. Ubuntu then did some updates. After doing all that (install_flash_player_10_linux.deb) installed fine. I assumed I was missing a needed file (libnspr4-dev) and downloading it appears to have worked. :)

11. Minto

Hitman

please promise me you will start using a package manager. For your own sanity!

12. Auraomega

Wise Guy

I always use terminal to install my packages/apps, but when I first started out I used the package manager because its soooooo much easier. The only real advantage of terminal is it stores the source files on the PC, where as package manager only makes them temp, so if you remove you'll need to re-download.

Last edited: 14 Oct 2009
  13. WatchTower

Mobster

I'm scared of the Terminal. It looks like you have to be a programmer just to install stuff.:(

14. .walls

Wise Guy

This!

It's really not difficult to get used to and it really will save your mind when it comes to dependencies!

15. BigglesPiP

Capodecina

Use synaptic then.

16. Minto

Hitman

oh, and a package manager doesn't have to be a gui. you can still look 'leet' and use apt-get in the terminal