Noobie review of Hitachi LCD

Associate
Damn fine review thanx Demon. I shall forever be grateful, and so shall hitachi. Me thinks ill be ordering one of these in the not too distant future :)

Just one question demon, is the 17.4" hitachi significantly larger than the sammy?

cheers again

Soldato
OP
its actually only a 17.1"... the 174 just denotes its the 4 gen model...

But it is the same screen diameter as the sammy... as measured with a piece of calibrated string.....

;)

Soldato
Damn good review Demon m8. Me was hoping this would be a viable alternative to a CRT and lo and behold it is.:) Must decide now if I want a water cooling setup for crimbo or a nice Hitachi TFT. Decisions, decisions.....:confused:

Associate
Hey Demon

First day on the forums yesterday [been using OC for years and never been here...]. I am just about to buy a TFT and came here to see what people had to say. The review was great - Thanks mate:)

Soldato
OP
I kept editing the original post as I discovered things.... maybe this was misconstrued as covering up forum infringements, I was only trying to keep all the info in the same place..

OK..
1. I can't find any dead pixels, or sub pixels.... just when I thought I had a dead subpixel, it turned ouy to be dust. I got fed up going through all the colours, and checking, if I can't find any looking moderately hard, I don;t think its worth going too mad looking for them.

2. Doing some technical colour tests, it appears that reds/blues dominate slightly, and yellow/cyan seems slightly supressed. This can make some yellows (.e.g a windows folder Icon) on certain backgrounds look a teensie bit off, but thats being critical... This is more a function of the colour temp I think, and the Samsung is just as bad at greens/reds...

3. I can;t make my mind up as to whether the samsung lower contrast/more dark detail looks better or worse then the Hitachi who use a higher contrast, less dark detail setting on DVI, I'd say for 75% of games, the Hitachi looks better, but some very dark games have more detailed revealed on the samsung, but don;t look half as vivid... and since you don't get a choice of contrast on DVI, its a moot point, only relevent when comparing, in isolation, they both look superb on the desktop.

Soldato
Demon, great!

I've just ordered a white one, and plan on sitting it next to my current 17inch CRT.. and then configure up nView and whatever else for multimon :D

No dead pixels is just another plus! :)

Really looking forward to receiving it now! :cool:

and about all this competitors mumbo-jumbo.. well ive not seen any mentions to competitors in this thread, i see no problem with discussing a product that ocuk don't sell. Discussing the *price* and *retailer* in public view on the otherhand always raises one eyebrow.. and totally agree, it shouldn't be happening.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Oops forgot about the stand...

The base of the Monitor is a smallish diameter disc, about 5 inches accross, Hiatchi give you a larger (abotu 8 inches from memory) disc that clips onto the smaller disc... and its very stable... not as pretty as the sammy though...

Having had 2 17's side by side, I think this would wind me up unless I had 2 DVI outputs, simply because one of them would have to be analogue... and the difference is v noticeable... plus I'd be forever comparing...

On the other hand 2 17" monitors looks kinda techie, in a swordfish kinda way....

Associate
im interested....

I am seriously considering a lcd for christmas. I can get a 171p for about £50 more than i can get the hitachi, but the 171p has one advantage - it can rotate whereas the hitachi can't

Otherwise, it is clear that the hitachi is superior, particually for games. Ive analysed it on every factor and the only other way the 171p is better (other than rotation) is in contrast ratio. The hitachi also claims to have twice the backlight life.

there are two other things that still confuse me. The 171p claims 16.7mil colours (which i believe is 32bit colour), whereas the hitachi claims 262K, which is far lower than 16.7mil.
Also, the refresh rates. Now i know you are meant to run them both at 60hz, but i have heard of many problems with lcds (particually ghosting) even with high end ones like these being solved by going to 75hz. Please confirm the hitachi can do this.

Many thanks for any help

Last edited:
Associate
yes you can

just because lcds do not work in the same way does not mean that the refresh rate in unchangable. i know they do not flicker, but people have solved ghosting in games by upping from 60hz to 75.

Associate
Re: yes you can

Originally posted by [die]Deadly
just because lcds do not work in the same way does not mean that the refresh rate in unchangable. i know they do not flicker, but people have solved ghosting in games by upping from 60hz to 75.

Ok i maybe wrong, but i dont think changing the refresh rates will cause less ghosting to occur

[ed] On TFTs the pixels are either on or off, they do not get refreshed and therefore the value of 60Hz is not important for LCD monitors

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom