Not getting enough air out of case for gpu.

Associate
So my gpu is starting to get hot when full load, it sits around 85 which I know isn't a massive problem but it's hotter than I would like. I installed a fan in the front to push air to the back of the case and the extraction fan to get rid of it. The problem is when I did that temps was getting hotter, so I presume the outtake isn't good enough. My case can't take any more fans so is there anything I can do? Or new case ?

Permabanned
I seem to remember those GPU's getting real hot (I just did a quick Google to refresh my memory), some got good results by undervolting.

Associate
OP
It got hotter?
Are you sure the exhaust fan is the right way round?
Or if front intake is wrong way round it will fight the rear fan, and lead to very little air movement.

Worth a check... I've done it...

No I havnt touched the rear fans. I have only added the front fan. Before it was holding steady at 71 72 a couple of weeks ago. Now it seems to of gone up (most likely due to change of room ). If I tske the side panel off it drops from 85 to 75 really quick. So something isn't quite right I don't think

Associate
Change of ambient temp will make a big difference. Perhaps a pokier exhaust fan, what type do you have? Is it one that came with the case?

Something with a bit of oomph behind it might be of benefit- personally I use Akasa Viper fans, PWM control and shift decent air. Others may recommend differently :D

Associate
OP
Change of ambient temp will make a big difference. Perhaps a pokier exhaust fan, what type do you have? Is it one that came with the case?

Something with a bit of oomph behind it might be of benefit- personally I use Akasa Viper fans, PWM control and shift decent air. Others may recommend differently :D

I have no idea. It come with the case, they are very quiet though. Are the akasa viper fans quiet ? As that is a must for me :)

Associate
Complicated case, but should be able to do few things to improve your temperatures.
First, if your PSU have it's fan working all the time, I would rotate the PSU and doing so, would allow an extra exhaust.
The layout of the case isn't ideal. The front aren't able to "breath" due to solid cover, just the side inlet, which reduces greatly the air going to the fans. The lack of a top exhaust forces the rear exhaust to do all the work.
Undervolting would help a lot, and I would try the PSU upside-down. Last resource, before spending a lot o money on fans, would try to get some Arctic P12 cheap.
Had the same issues with the Phanteks P400. The P400a transformed the original case.

Associate
I have no idea. It come with the case, they are very quiet though. Are the akasa viper fans quiet ? As that is a must for me :)

Case-supplied fans tend to be the quieter, lower RPM types (cheap!) which don't shift that much air. Many aftermarket fans will be more effective.
The Vipers are quiet for what they move- and of course they'd only ramp up when needed. But, if you want to shift more air, at higher RPM they will obviously make a bit of noise, that's pretty much unavoidable. But they are only 'loud' right up near 100%.
The Arctic fans mentioned by MrPotato would be a good alternative, I only mention the Vipers as that's what I use.

Just had a look at your case... is it possible to remove the mesh grilles around the front panel? That should improve airflow a bit. Personally, I'd get the tin-snips out and have that fan guard off the back too, but that's just me... not going to recommend that too heavily... :D

Also try the PCI blanking plates as mentioned above. I wouldn't worry too much about dust unless the PC is in a particularly dusty location. Quick flick with a soft, dry paintbrush every couple of months should be all the cleaning needed.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Case-supplied fans tend to be the quieter, lower RPM types (cheap!) which don't shift that much air. Many aftermarket fans will be more effective.
The Vipers are quiet for what they move- and of course they'd only ramp up when needed. But, if you want to shift more air, at higher RPM they will obviously make a bit of noise, that's pretty much unavoidable. But they are only 'loud' right up near 100%.
The Arctic fans mentioned by MrPotato would be a good alternative, I only mention the Vipers as that's what I use.

Just had a look at your case... is it possible to remove the mesh grilles around the front panel? That should improve airflow a bit. Personally, I'd get the tin-snips out and have that fan guard off the back too, but that's just me... not going to recommend that too heavily... :D

Also try the PCI blanking plates as mentioned above. I wouldn't worry too much about dust unless the PC is in a particularly dusty location. Quick flick with a soft, dry paintbrush every couple of months should be all the cleaning needed.
Unfortunately not able to remove the mesh grills but I think I will remove all the pci slots to help get the hot air out. I have just ordered some new fans so hoping they push that heat out. I have got a additional 3, so going to have to at the front instead of 1 and replace the rear fan with hopefully a better fan to get it out. Iam hoping with the new fans and removing the pci slots hopefully it will make a difference. If not then I may attack the mesh to make it a bit more easier lol. Thwnks for the advice :)

Back
Top Bottom