Not getting max throughput

Associate
Scenario:

Gigabit fibre line, device A gets the full gigabit speeds no issues.

Device B, maxes around 500, if I close everything and reboot, it is nearer 700. (Both plugged into same cable etc)

Specs:

Asrock Z270M-ITX/ac Intel Z270
i5 7600K
8GB Ram
Samsung Evo 850 SSD
Onboard dual gigabit NIC (Both give same results)

What is likely the cause? the onboard NIC? Will adding a separate NIC resolve?

Thanks in advance

Caporegime
What does the CPU usage show when you're doing these tests? It's got Intel chips on already for the LAN so I doubt that's an issue.

Have you tried updating the NIC drivers? Have you tried booting a Linux distro and testing again?

Associate
OP
It's pretty high 80-90%, but at the same time the other device I've been testing with is a dell laptop i5 /7200U with 2 cores @ 2.7Ghz.

Vs this 4 core i5 @ 3.8

Associate
OP
What does the CPU usage show when you're doing these tests? It's got Intel chips on already for the LAN so I doubt that's an issue.

Have you tried updating the NIC drivers? Have you tried booting a Linux distro and testing again?

Drivers yes, Linux no.

Caporegime
If your CPU usage is hitting those levels then I'd guess that's where your limit is - something to do with the data transfer is getting the CPU involved rather than letting the NICs handle things. Is TCP offloading enabled?

Associate
OP
This makes the most sense to me, I have literally shut everything after a clean reboot and I can get 650 odd vs 4-500 with everything else going on.

TCP offloading is enabled.

Jarring as it's only a few years old and doesn't feel slow etc, I can replace the PC but it feels a bit of a waste..

Thanks for your input.

Associate
OP
managed to do a lot more testing on various different setups, there must be some limitation or bottleneck with this motherboard as found some like for like systems even prebuilts ranging in various diff spec/age accross the office and couldn't find any not capable of doing gigabit speedtests.

Back
Top Bottom