Not impressed with Wii?

Associate
Anyone else?

I think the remote idea is just going to be annoying, aside from gameplay a lot of the games I've seen look terrible, Far Cry looks like a Nintendo 64 game for example.

I see this going like the Gamecube did, the second choice of the PS2/Xbox.

Man of Honour
Though the graphics look pretty pants on some of the games, I think some games, like Red Steel, look really quite good.

I guess you can't really knock the control method without playing the thing though, that's why I'm reserving my judgement until I get to play one soon.

Permabanned
Played on it a couple of months back and didn't really like it.

I think it's more of an expensive novelty more than anything else.

Soldato
Doesn't look hi def etc, but neither does my PSP or PS2, still love games on those 2.

I am holding final judgement on the Wii until i actually play one. I think even if i got one i wouldn't love the control, but it could be fun for a bit, especially if you got the right games.
But i also didn't buy an eyetoy because the input it uses didn't appeal to me.
The big thing putting me off it is i bought a gamecube and it just really didn't get used. Couldnt find any games that appealed to me, and all the shops around here have tiny selection, no nintendo games ever on sale, and most things i wanted to play where on the xbox or PS2 anyway.

Associate
I suppose it depends what your expecting from the Wii. My own view is that the controller will add something different to gaming and put an extra element of fun into things. I already know that graphics and cpu power wise, the Wii is not going to be competing with the 360/PS3. That doesn't bother me though, good games are not all about graphics. It's about good gameplay and having fun.

Nintendo have always been able to produce great games, heck I still play the older Zelda and Mario games even though they look poor nowadays, the games are still good. As long as the games still contain that old Nintendo 'magic' then I'll be happy and I'm certainly looking forward to getting my Wii, probably more so than when I was waiting for my 360. I share the concerns about the controller and hope it doesn't turn out to be a gimmick, but I've never been let down by a Nintendo console yet so am looking forward to seeing how it all works on the Wii.

Associate
I'm definitely buying one, preordered way back.
At the end of the day its not a lot of money and if you hate it you'll never have trouble selling the thing on.

Ben

Ben

Associate
LukeManUK said:
Anyone else?

I think the remote idea is just going to be annoying, aside from gameplay a lot of the games I've seen look terrible, Far Cry looks like a Nintendo 64 game for example.

I see this going like the Gamecube did, the second choice of the PS2/Xbox.

The whole remote idea is why I preordered one. IMO the way you play (console) games hasn't really changed much since the SNES (just more buttons, analog sticks, and rumble) - sure there is the odd game like DDR, Guitar Hero etc that give you a different controller, but for most games you have the same old way of playing.

The Wii has caught my interest since it changes the way you play the majority of games, hence this will most likely be the first and last console I pre-order at lauch. (Unless the control method changes drastically once again).

Soldato
Ben said:
The Wii has caught my interest since it changes the way you play the majority of games, hence this will most likely be the first and last console I pre-order at lauch. (Unless the control method changes drastically once again).

Can I ask why you feel the control method needed to change? Why has motion technology suddenly become the next big thing?

Ben

Ben

Associate
Memphis said:
Can I ask why you feel the control method needed to change? Why has motion technology suddenly become the next big thing?

Because after 10+ years I believe it has reached its limit on the games you can play on the style of controller.
Graphics have gone from 2D to 3D, Sound has gone from Stereo to Surround, but the controller has remained practically the same in the same 2D environment (Up-Down-Left right - which of course can be intepreted as forward-back-left-right for 3D), the Wii brings the controller in line with the rest of the evolution of the technology.

It may become the biggest flop in gaming history, but I very much doubt it.

Soldato
To be honest it's never interested me, Just looks like a cube with a novelty controller to me. I already have a cube and novelties don't tend to last long....

Ben

Ben

Associate
I don't deny that. And I could be very wrong... back when the gamecube was just known as the dolphin, I thought that was going to be Nintendo's last console, and they'd just stick to Handhelds. And here I have Pre-ordered the console I thought would never exist. :p

Only time will tell, if I'm still playing Wii games (i.e. not GC, or Virtual console ones) this time next year then I'll be happy that I bought it early on.

Associate
initial idea i like, the remote i could get used to...

but its just not my thing. there doesnt seem to be anything there id be interested in i guess.

i think what will happen though is a friend will buy one, force me to play it and itl grow on me. but i hope not. :p

Back
Top Bottom