1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Not the nicest thing just happened...

Discussion in 'Motors' started by saitrix, 2 May 2006.

1. saitrix

Sgarrista

Hey,

Just had my IAM Adcanced Driving Test. I passed but whilst doing the test i was goign down a residential road at 30mph. When all of a sudden a cat runs out onto the road at full pelt. I tried to stop it but hit it at about 20 i bet. :( So me and the examiner got out, i saw a women looking really really shocked, she told us at how it ran off. Between the 3 of us we couldn't find it so we deicded to carry on the test.

On the up beat i passed my IAM test 7 1/2 months after passing my DSA test.

2. PeterNem

Sgarrista

Congrats on passing.

Really unlucky about the cat, if it managed to run off, I guess you can only hope it wasn't too badly injured. Was the lady the owner of the cat?

3. saitrix

Sgarrista

Nope, she didn't know who the owner was aswell. I must not have had hit it that hard as no damage to bumper.

4. Oblivious

PermaBanned

Ive seen cats survive worse. Worst case scenario its crawled off to die in peace.

Oh and well done on passing :)

5. paradigm

Caporegime

Coulda been worse, I killed two ducks this morning (they were both just stood in the road having a chat by the looks of things). They were just there after a blind corner, wasn't going to swerve as i'm not stupid!

RIP ducks.

Congrats on passing your IAM though :)

6. PeterNem

Sgarrista

Isn't hitting a duck seen as quite a bad thing? Don't they have right of way or something silly as they have a "right" to move between waterways over land.

7. bramski

Gangster

Congrats on passing your IAM. You should have pointed over to the shocked woman upon driving away and said "You aint seen nuffin, roight!" :)

8. iCraig

PermaBanned

The cat will probably be fine. If it was injured badly it wouldn't of been able to get away so quickly.

9. paradigm

Caporegime

No idea, sounds like a retarded thing to give an animal though, right of way, I mean WTF?

Like I said, I wasn't going to swerve on an "S" bend (I had no idea if something was coming), and I wasn't going to lock up for a duck (my car would have quite easily outbraked the car behind me, but I doubt i'd have stopped before the ducks).

10. Phantom

Sgarrista

no but you'll usually see a warning red triangle sign with the sillouette of the animal which may be in the area at the very most. its up to the driver to be considerate to the animal and slow down or avoid if they can do so safely.

11. paradigm

Caporegime

None of those around where it happened. No lakes/ponds either, which is odd.

12. Dup

Capodecina

My dog was hit by a car that was doing 60 on a corner. Didn't see it as it was dark but he walked away. We'd only had him a week!

We went straight under it we think but it made a vicous thump. Don't worry about it. Cats are tough, no matter how domestic they seem.

Congrats on passing the test :)

13. Stonedofmoo

Soldato

Oh well, one cat down another billion to go :p

14. Adam_151

Mobster

they re-spawn eight times you know... :p :D

15. JRS

Capodecina

Charming.

16. Stonedofmoo

Soldato

haha yup. I hate cats ;)

17. Kingy

Mobster

I thought you were only supposed to stop for dogs? :confused:

18. Phantom

Sgarrista

yup, legally you have to stop for a dog and do somethign about it - i.e. inform police, rspca. I'd avoid contacting the owners directly as they may open a can of whoop ass on you even though it was accidental :o

19. Kingy

Mobster

I was under the impression that you could fail if you did an emergency stop for a cat? Do IAM have different rules, or have I just got it wrong?

20. saitrix

Sgarrista

Well i knew 100% i didnt have any cars infront or behind me so why not do an emergency stop? I did not get reprimanded at all for it.

That only matter if you cause an accident or nearly cause one i suppose.