Not the nicest thing just happened...

Soldato
saitrix said:
Well i knew 100% i didnt have any cars infront or behind me so why not do an emergency stop? I did not get reprimanded at all for it.

That only matter if you cause an accident or nearly cause one i suppose.

Don't get me wrong, if I knew that there was nothing behind me etc then I'd probably have tried to avoid it just as a reflex reaction. I just thought when I was learning to drive that you could fail for doing so, so was suprised to see you'd passed.

Anyway, congrats. :)

Soldato
OP
Kingy said:
Don't get me wrong, if I knew that there was nothing behind me etc then I'd probably have tried to avoid it just as a reflex reaction. I just thought when I was learning to drive that you could fail for doing so, so was suprised to see you'd passed.

Anyway, congrats. :)

The DSA have quite different ideas on driving then IAM do. So probably it is different.

Associate
As far as the IAM is concerned a moggy is just another hazard, so as long as you deal with it as well as possible (sounds like you did) then it's not a problem - the examiner will have been more interested in how you drove afterwards - whether something like that will have affected your ability to drive smoothly etc.

A big well done for passing your test, especially so soon after the DSA test. Nice to see someone realising that the DSA test isn't the be all and end all.

Soldato
Congrats on test.

I was driving back from Leeds yesterday when a car a few cars in front of me hit a squirrel. The poor thing was dancing about in the road and I really wanted to finish it off but couldn't bring myself to. Neither could all the other cars from what I could see. Poor little thing.

Soldato
Congrats saitrix!

I've been considering taking an IAM course/test for some time, and have basically been waiting until I get my "permanent" car (One I intend to keep for over 6 months). With this event hopefully approaching, I'm looking in to IAM system a bit more.

If you don't mind, I'd like to ask a few questions :)

Did you enjoy the course?
Do you think you are a better driver because of it?
Did you conduct the test/tuition in your own car?
How "friendly" was everyone in the institution? Are people as helpful to new and young drivers as they are to the 35-year experienced police drivers?

Anything else you think's important about the IAM?

I'd be dead greatful if you could answer these for me :)

Soldato
OP
I really did enjoy doing the whole course. Its much more relaxed and less formal then DSA so you are able to have fun. You dont have to accelerate in a pansy fashion either.

I think i am a much better driver for it. Just remember to ignore the overtaking bit on country road and you will be a much better driver. It really gets your distance observation up, also gets you to figure out situations really early. I can make much better progress then others now purely because i now spot the quickest lanes etc.

You do all of it in your own car.

They really were friendly to me and my mate who did it at the same time as me. (He passed on Saturday). They really like to see some younger people being interested in improving their driving. Like i said before it is a lot more relaxed so you can have a laugh with your observer.

I would fully recommend you to do it. It definitly one of the best £75 i have ever spent. Just if you are a hesitent driver then you will find it harder due to you not wanting to take all the opportunities available.

Feel free to ask anything else.

Soldato
OP
[TW]Fox said:
Don't forget to put your IAM sticker in the window :D

Haha course ill put it up. :D Fox you HAVE to put yours in the BMW when you get it, people will see that your an advanced driver in a nice BMW. Then when they see someone who looks really young you will get brilliant reactions!

Soldato
Congratulations, I'm sure the cat will be ok though. If it got up and no damage was done to your car I guess it didn't take the full brunt of the impact.

I'm waiting for an examiner to get back to me, I'm about ready to sit my IAM test.

It is a different form of driving, the main things I have picked up are looking much further ahead, and better general awareness of what is around me. I'm anticipating things much more than I used to rather than just reacting to what other people do. I still feel like I want to learn a lot more, and because I've only held a licenese 2.5 years I still consider myself inexperienced. I'll look into ROSPA at some point. For now I'd be happy if I can pass the IAM test.

Soldato
OP
thebrasso,

You will enjoy doing your test, i know i did. :) Most of the time i was talking about cars with the examiner. He owns a Volvo T5 and he says he has gone really sensible now compared to his old cars. He use to own a Shelby Cobra. :eek:

Soldato
I've had one practice test with an observer and passed that ok, but the examiner in my neck of the woods is pretty strict by all accounts. Certainly not a chatty type. See how it goes anyway.

Soldato
saitrix said:
Haha, my dad would be a hard one also. He changes to 3rd at like 22mph. :(
3rd gear at 22mph?! That's crazy. I'd have been in 4th at 20, tbh!

Thanks for the info saitrix. Funnily enough, it's a friend and I, as well, who are interested in going through the IAM system at the same time. Just hope ours ends up as good as it sounds :)

Back
Top Bottom