1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Notebooks - methods of connecting to the Internet

Discussion in 'Networks & Internet Connectivity' started by i know nothing, 5 Feb 2006.

1. i know nothing

Mobster

I have to confess I am well out of date with regards to notebooks, last time I had one was 10 years ago.

I'm doing a lot of travelling and I'm looking to buy a notebook. Every hotel I go to has an internet connection in the room and I'd like to be able to hook up to the internet.

Some places have wireless, others have a RJ45 LAN type connector which you plug in. If I want to be able to connect to 'any' type of internet connection, what sort of things should I be looking for?

2. tolien

Caporegime

Vast majority have a wireless card and a network card within.
    You're pretty much sorted at that, unless you want to use 3G or something.

3. i know nothing

Mobster

Thanks Tolien, 3G I'm not interested in, basic email, browsing and using Skype are my main reasons for getting a notebook.

4. clv101

Capodecina

How come not interested in 3G? Should give a decent 200-300kbps connection anywhere you're likely to go without all the hassle of connecting and paying for different networks wherever you go. Just get a decent 3G phone and connect to the laptop using Bluetooth.

5. i know nothing

Mobster

No 3G where I live! ;)

6. clv101

Capodecina

Fair point!