1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Nothing fancy, just need advice on a new digicam

Discussion in 'Photography & Video' started by Otacon, 28 Feb 2006.

1. Otacon

Capodecina

I need a new digicam this year (my old Kodak has had it really), and on a decent recommendation (after I was moaning about the slowness of the Kodak), I've been looking at some Ricoh kit - specifically the Caplio models.

The trouble I'm having is that there are so many revisions of the damn thing that I'm not sure where to put my money. I dont want to spend more than £250, but I also dont want to be paying over the odds for the kit I get at that price.

I'd appreciate decent online store recommendations so I can see what's being stocked (Googling is turning up loads of places that share no consistency in the revisions they stock), and just generally any comments on my choice would be appreciated.

Ta :)

2. cyKey

Sgarrista

I can't say I've ever heard of Ricoh doing cameras. If you're just after a no nonsense snappy happy digital camera get an Ixus. They can be had for under £250 and they're tiny. Great for nights out, holidays, general photo use.

3. Otacon

Capodecina

I'll happily be swung anywhere, so long as I dont have time to make a cup of tea between pressing the button and the camera taking the photo :D Which is the reason I was pointed to Ricoh - they're quick to start and snap apparantly (review sites seem to confirm this).

I'll look into Ixus now :)

4. Slime101

PermaBanned

Ixus are good.

You wont go wrong with any camera made by Nikon, Canon, Olympus, Fuji, Pentax or Kodak really!!!

5. m3csl2004

Hitman

kodak :/

get the ixus mate - i bought a canon a while back and its like a breath of fresh air - and mines an old model

6. Joe T

Capodecina

OMG - a don asking for competitors! :eek:

7. TRiP

Hitman

dont discount panasonic, they make some good little cameras.

id be weary of ricoh though, just based on how unreliable the r3 was. may just have been a bad batch though.

8. Otacon

Capodecina

Will an Ixus satisfy my appetite for taking quick shots? Reviews seem a little unclear.

9. cmt

Banned

Fuji F11

Excellent 'Quick' camera with very good ISo sensitivity. Ideal for those night shots (parties / Weddings / Pubs etc)

cmt

10. Lostkat

Sgarrista

On the subject of Ricoh cameras, I've actually seen some results from one of their models (I forget which one), and the image was unbelievably sharp. They also have one of the smallest shutter lags.

http://www.steves-digicams.com/ has a extremely comprehensive review of some of the Ricoh's with example photos. The Caplio looks quite good actually!

11. cyKey

Sgarrista

OMG they're actually good cameras? Who'd have thunk it.