Noticed how cheap USB sticks are now?

Associate
Indeed it will.
I conker.

conkers.jpg

Man of Honour
OP
Sod it, for £9 I've decided to just stick with a laptop HDD inside the enclosure, 60GB of storage, will see how long it can last :p

Edit*

Well USB caddy holding a 2.5" 5400rpm hdd is WIN, much faster xfer rates than a pendrive.

car.png

Last edited:
Soldato
Damn, wish I'd come here first. I've just stuck two late night bids for $0.99 on a couple of "32GB" flash drives. They aren't pretending to be branded but I was wondering why they are so cheap...
FWIW, I got a 16gb mp3 player for around £13 recently, and was suprised to find that it does actually hold 16gb. You may get lucky! ;)

Soldato
Just use FLAC for MP3s. You wont lose anything

Now that you can get USB sticks so cheap, would it be possible to strap a few together with a controller and build yourself a cheap SSD drive?

Soldato
Now that you can get USB sticks so cheap, would it be possible to strap a few together with a controller and build yourself a cheap SSD drive?
There is a company called PhotoFast who offered a product that uses six SD cards in RAID to create an SSD;

photofastcr9000006.jpg

I would have thought that using USB flash drives would be incredibly bulky in comparison. Either way, it's a pretty useless considering how rapidly SSDs are coming down in price.

Soldato
There is a company called PhotoFast who offered a product that uses six SD cards in RAID to create an SSD;

photofastcr9000006.jpg

I would have thought that using USB flash drives would be incredibly bulky in comparison. Either way, it's a pretty useless considering how rapidly SSDs are coming down in price.

Even so, that does seem kinda cool, tying together SD cards to make a SSD ;)

Associate
Every now and then the manufacturer will let out a bad flash drive (i.e. doesnt register as a valid directory and can't be reformatted) from the assembly line. If you happen to be one of the unfortunate people to come across one of these USB, check out this nice article which will walk you through the process of recovering the drive to full usage. Be sure to follow instructions as they are given in the post.

Associate
Its possible that resampling to a higher bit rate may allow more head room and quality for adding eq and other effects, but its sounds like you're not and have wasted time and space. Still! the placebo effect is alive and kicking!

Soldato
Maybe the bigger numbers lulled me into a false sense of security. :p

Alas, I admit I was a fool.

\o/

I feel quite good that I provided some lulz though, find the positives in everything! Am I right? :)

Last edited:
Associate
Never buy the cheap SD cards/USB sticks off Ebay - so many are fakes it is just not worth the risk.

The fakes will report 8 or 16 Gb but in reality they are much lower capacity with the controller re-programmed to lie about it. You only find this out when you try and read back the data beyond the actual capacity.

You can not rely on the sellers good feedback score - even if they appear to have many satisfied customers this is possibly also faked.

Best thing to do is go to a real shop - e.g. OcUK...

Man of Honour
OP
We have concluded our investigation into your case and have decided in your
favour.

We were able to recover 9.30 GBP, and this amount has been credited to you.
Please allow five working days for this adjustment to be posted.

If you are due any additional funds, we will make our best effort to
recover the balance from the seller.

Woot!

Back
Top Bottom