Now what?

Soldato
It's 0858 on Monday the 13th. It should be two minutes to Olympic coverage, but the TV tells me that the next thing on is heir hunters :(

I've been lucky enough to be off during the Olympics, and I've watched about fourteen hours a day of coverage.
I'm still off for another week with no idea what to do with my life!!

Maybe I'll have to go outside or something? I know there is an outside, I can hear it when I open the window.

I don't know, it's all very confusing, I may have withdrawal symptoms setting in :(

Soldato
I'm the same as the OP...

It was nice to have on in the background whilst I was writing my thesis, however I'm not sure I can stomach the rubbish that is day time TV. My only sanity this morning is watching the closing ceremony again on BBC red button!

The coverage has been great. Now it is all over though I can see what utter tosh the BBC produces for daytime TV... There must be a better way to spend their (our) money. I've read somewhere that the cost of broadcasting the entire olympics (online, HD, 3D, red button etc...) was around £5.50 for each licence fee holder. Money well spent if you ask me, but it does make me wonder how much money we put into rubbish daytime TV :(

Soldato
How did you survive before?

hoop.jpg

Soldato
I'm exactly the same :(. Being a lazy student, I've been used to dropping the missus off at work and then coming home to watch numerous amounts of sports that I have never considered watching before but have somehow become deeply engrossed in. It really has left a weird void in my life at the moment and it was nice to have on in the background even when doing other things.

Soldato
OP
I'm exactly the same :(. Being a lazy student, I've been used to dropping the missus off at work and then coming home to watch numerous amounts of sports that I have never considered watching before but have somehow become deeply engrossed in. It really has left a weird void in my life at the moment and it was nice to have on in the background even when doing other things.

Good point on watching things you usually wouldn't...

I pretty much only watch UFC, international rugby, F1, and if it's not on sky sports a bit of boxing.

Yet with the red button I've found myself really getting into some random things!
Tried to watch as many different events as possible but was particularly 'into' the judo, weight lifting, gymnastics, track cycling (so exciting! I never knew!!), BMX.

It's been great fun.

Surely there has to be an Olympics in review show or something that can let us down easy?! :D

Soldato
I agree with people saying they have watched sports they wouldn't normally have watched. I don't really watch sport anyway (bar Rugby) and it has made me think that I want to get a sports TV package (Sky sports, Eurosport etc...). I know they won't be anywhere near as good but I have had such fun watching the sports I wouldn't mind continuing it!

Heck, if I was a bit younger I wouldn't mind taking up some of the sports!

As for the paralympics I am gutted that channel 4 has coverage :( I don't think 1) they'll to the coverage as well as the BBC, and 2) they will show all of the sports :( bit of a shame really

Soldato
Don't expect anything like the same sort of coverage or interest though.

No indeed, the Paralympics always falls in the shadow of the Olympics, which is a bit of a shame.

It's Channel 4 which have it aswell, I'm sure they will do a decent enough job but the BBC really pushed the bar for the Olympic coverage would be surprised to see that for anything else.

Soldato
Here's one I missed when I posted before - ITV4 are covering the Vuelta a Espana (Tour of Spain) every night from next Saturday. I'm looking forward to seeing how Chris Froome rides the mountains as the team leader :cool:

Soldato
OP
Here's one I missed when I posted before - ITV4 are covering the Vuelta a Espana (Tour of Spain) every night from next Saturday. I'm looking forward to seeing how Chris Froome rides the mountains as the team leader :cool:

Never watched road cycling, didn't pay much attention to the Tour De France, but with my new found enthusiasm for new sports I shall give this a go.

Soldato
Now we wait a week for the footballers to remind us why they are all front pieces before the Paralympics comes on and fill us with pride again.

Soldato
Its been absolutely fantastic for the last couple of weeks - while going to work every day I have still managed 4+ hours a day during the week and about 9+ over the weekends

Cycling & Rowing / Canoeing were my favourite (former paddler :)) but also followed a few particular athletes (especially Jess Phwoar Ennis and Fly Mo).

Still dont agree that (male) football , Basketball or (male) boxing should be part of the Olympics - Im not being sexist, but its a fact of life that in those two sports even average male players / boxers can earn more than a decent living day to day - Women however (esp with boxing) barely get peanuts in comparison.

Back
Top Bottom