NTL 10Mb Upgrades Starting Tonight?!

Associate
There have been rumours of the 10Mb upgrades for ntl users begining on November 8th and the service status page is making this look likely...

ntlworld.com... said:
The following work will be taking place during the week commencing Monday 7th November.

On the morning of Tuesday the 8th of November between midnight and 6 AM,

Network optimisation will result in a loss of service in the Cambridge, Leicester, Cwmbrwla and surrounding areas.

Service upgrades will result in a loss of service in the Swansea, Bromley, Luton, Guildford, Peterborough, Hersham, Colchester, Watford, Ashford, Brent and surrounding areas.

Systems maintenance to our Broadband Plus Platform will result in a loss of service for the duration.

Network rebalancing across the country will result in a brief loss of service for all customers.

On the morning of Wednesday the 9th of November between midnight and 6 AM,

Network optimisation will result in a loss of service in the Cambridge, Leicester, Poole, Coventry, Aldershot, Northampton, Clydebank, Neath and surrounding areas.

On the morning of Thursday the 10th of November between midnight and 6 AM,

Network optimisation will result in a loss of service in the Cambridge, Leicester, Poole, Severn Kings, Treforest, Hartlepool, Greenock, Shepshed, Hemel Hempstead, Mapperley, Scunthorpe and surrounding areas.

Service upgrades will result in a loss of service in the Birmingham, Renfrew, Brighton, Luton, Winnersh, Nottingham, Northampton and surrounding areas.
Upload speed has been rumoured at around 500k.

Here's hoping! :)

Last edited:
Soldato
Yeah there is a lot of information coming out about this, it seems from other forums that the 10mb upgrade is happening tonight/this week. Although a lot of places havent been mentioned in the service status page, ie Stoke on Trent, Manchester.
Lets just hope the upgrades happen for everyone and not just a select few.

Associate
packs backs and moves straight to one of the listed areas above:( i want to live there! why cant they have that all over the country! Dam ADSL and phone lines being so limited!

Associate
yeah the original statement from some time ago said that the current 3mb customers would be the first to recieve 10mb. hugs 3mb

Didn't see my area mentioned on there anywhere though. :( (swindon)

Soldato
Andy C said:
It appears people on the 1 and 2 meg tiers can upgrade online here.

There isn't an online option for 3 meg users, probably because we're already on the highest available tier.

I know and imo its a bit naughty. The whole idea was for the people paying the most i.e 3mb users to upgrade first, this isnt the case. If i would have konw i would have downgraded last month.

Associate
I just tried to upgrade in Oxford, I'm currently on the 2 Meg service the only option I got was:

ntl: upto 10 Mbps Broadband Internet Service £37.99

Does that mean that it actually is 10 Meg or that it will go up to 10 Meg? It could mean anything "upto 10 Mbps Broadband Internet Service".

Commissario
upto means that depending on your equipment it will be anything up to 10mb.

Apparently some older modems will need replacing to get the full 10mb speed, and so will only get a config file for a slightly slower speed (from what i've read it's between 6-8mb for those modems).

I suspect my modem will need replacing unfortunately to get the full 10mb, but if i get 6-8mb i doubt i'll bother getting the modem swapped as i very much doubt i'll be using that much bandwidth at any one time :)

Associate
Hi there,

I live in the guildford area but i am only on a 2mb connection at th moment. Am i right in saying that i should be upgraded to 10mb early next year?

Compared to existing 3mb users who will also be upgraded to 10mb, will i be on a different download cap to them? I cant understand how i can be on a 10mb line and be charged less for the same sevice, or is there a catch?

My friend who also lives in Guildford is on the 3mb line at the moment, ill call him tonight to see if he has been upgraded.

Back
Top Bottom