NTL 10Mb Upgrades Starting Tonight?!

Soldato
Damn it looks like I'll be needing a new modem then. I've got one of those motorola big white things so I doubt very much that they'll be able to handle 10mb :(

Was hoping to get 10mb this week aswell but knowing ntl it will be a while before they send out a new modem.

Associate
I have an NTL Home 100 cable modem, and ages ago I seem to remember reading that they could only handle 6 meg, but I suppose I'll see when it gets upgraded.

I also wonder if I will need to change my router to handle higher speeds as that is fairly old (Linksys BEFSR11) had it for years.

Associate
Not wanting to hijack this thread, but a friend of mine who is on the 1 Mbit service went onto the NTL upgrade site and the options available were the 2 Mbit service at £24.99 per month, and something called BUND03 with no price listed - Any ideas what this one is and how much it costs?

Associate
OP
HEADRAT said:
Motorola or US Robotics CMX, I think the CMX would be fine?

I phoned CS (0800 052 2000, option 2) earlier and they upgraded me from 3meg to 10meg, however it appears my CMX didn't like the config file. It reset itself while I was on the phone, but it just kept on resetting, never actually getting a lock. After a few phones calls to faults where they did line tests, and some reboots, I decided to ask to be downgraded back to 3meg. This was the only way I could get back online.

Also, you'll never get the full 10meg speed from a CMX as it only has a 10mbit network port. You're probably looking at 7-8meg at the most.

Anyway, I'm quite impressed as ntl are sending out someone to replace my modem with a new model tomorrow. Pretty quick service for ntl I thought!

Andy.

Associate
OP
thesaint said:
all cable modem form the old 3 com cmx to the new ntl modems will support the 10 mb speeds
They should support the config file, yes, but you wont get the full speed of the service on the older modems. Reports coming back from those using older modems with only a 10mbit network port are saying their speeds are stuck around 5-6meg. The newer modems branded as ntl:home have a 100mbit port.

Permabanned
NTL%2010mb.jpg

:eek:

Buggered if I'm paying that price. :mad::mad:

Commissario
thesaint said:
all cable modem form the old 3 com cmx to the new ntl modems will support the 10 mb speeds

edit:

meant to add that it si the set top boxes that will need to be replaced

That's great news, I thought it would be a bit odd if the Tailfin etc couldn't take it, as I know the CMX had a burst speed of something like 38mb down and 3mb up (although it only had a 10mb connection to the PC).

/still has the manual for his long since replaced CMX somewhere:)

Associate
Andy C said:
They should support the config file, yes, but you wont get the full speed of the service on the older modems. Reports coming back from those using older modems with only a 10mbit network port are saying their speeds are stuck around 5-6meg. The newer modems branded as ntl:home have a 100mbit port.

which older modems are you talking about as i know for a fact that from the motorola sb3100 onwards the connection will work. Are you talking about the 3com cmx and sharkfin

Associate
The upgrades have started, see www.cableforum.co.uk for more details.

I got upgraded from 3mbps to 10mpbs by phoning NTL CS and asking. However, I'm only getting about 4mbps download speeds. The 10mbps is quoted as "up to 10mbps" when you talk to NTL. Damn my neighbours.

Still, 512kbps upstream is nice to have.

Soldato
It seems like a right balls up by NTL as usual.
They said that 3mb customers would be upgraded first.
Some people have telephoned CS and been put on the 10mb but some people have phoned and been told that 10mb isnt being rolled out until December.

No-one has a clue at the moment what is going on here, no information from NTL on their webpage or anything.

Looks like we will all have to wait and see what happens in the next few days.

Associate
ok here are the facts some area will recieve the 10mb upgrade but if you phone cs you should not be put on it as it is only currently availble for new customers only. existing custimers will have to wait as was the case for the 1 2 and 3 meg upgrades

Soldato
ScoobyDoo said:
It seems like a right balls up by NTL as usual.
They said that 3mb customers would be upgraded first.
Some people have telephoned CS and been put on the 10mb but some people have phoned and been told that 10mb isnt being rolled out until December.

No-one has a clue at the moment what is going on here, no information from NTL on their webpage or anything.

Looks like we will all have to wait and see what happens in the next few days.

its not out officially until tomorrow

Associate
Managed to get upgraded to 10MB tonight after a few calls and I am getting 980Kb/s from the newsgroups :)

Its a crazy world we live in when its quicker to d/l a mp3 album than it takes to burn it!

[DISCLAIMER]
The above is meant in jest only as I do not condone downloading of copywrited material.

[/DISCLAIMER]

Back
Top Bottom