NTL 10Mb Upgrades Starting Tonight?!

Soldato
I'm pretty happy with 75gb (roughly 2 gig a day) and 500K up is nice, I would prefer that they just charge you a certain about per gig over the cap rather than send you nastly letters.

Also off peak traffic should not be included, any traffic between 01:00 and 05:00 should be free, that way all the big downloaders can schedule it and use the network when its not busy

HEADRAT

Associate
75gig a month isn't really enough tbh. We have there current 3meg package shared between 5 students who all use it quite a lot during that day, not just for downloading but browsing, demos and online gaming. Now if you take the 75gig thats 2.5gb a day, which is only 500meg per person in our house which we'd quite easily use. And what happens when i want to try a new distro? That would effectilvely be using my allowance for best part of a week.

Lets hope they revise that limit soon, or dont enforce it strictly.

4T5

4T5

Man of Honour
So how much does online gaming use then dudes. I know peeps have said not enouth to worry about but i am MR Extreme gaming dude.
My mate recently ripped the Bejesus out of me.
There was me all proud and showing him that i am 315th in the World as Anti Tank dude and there was him ripping the **** out of me for playing it over 400 hours since release :eek: :o
On top of that i am involved in a Sim race team and have a new addiction called GT Legends.
Maintaining our High rankings is a must :p so where do i stand with usage.
How do i know what i have used. Is there a meter i can use or some other way i can track how much i have used. I have checked my upload and it exceeds 500.

BTW Having 10meg is a bit scary tbh. I double click my Email and BANG theres like 40 odd emails on my screen. Last night i had a ping of 5 on Source although it was only 6 on that server with 3meg lol.
Pings of 25 on BF2 and much quicker loading.
Its all good here.

Also i have the Name of the person who upgraded me and the office they are working from. I would happily pass it on via MSN. The dudes well cool and we had a laugh on the phone. He specifically told me to contact him personally in future. A top dude. He was just as surprised as me to bang me up to 10meg and even more surprised that its permanent. But odviously his office and supervisor have it right and are doing instant phone upgrades.
Add my MSN and shout me for the name as i don't think it would be right to post it on a forum. I wouldn't want such a cool dude to get in trouble on my account.

Soldato
Andyt_uk said:
75gig a month isn't really enough tbh. We have there current 3meg package shared between 5 students who all use it quite a lot during that day

Well to be fair to NTL I don't think they can be expected to provide enough bandwidth for 5 people to use 1 connection ;)

HEADRAT

Soldato
I rang them up :D

ntl.JPG

Oh and I'm using a Terayon TJ210

Soldato
If your having speed issue's then your modem could be the culprit,

All modems will operate on the 10Mbps service. However the following outlines some understandings from the Chetnet Team. These are not official ntl statements, nor are they uninformed guesswork!

In some cases (3Com CMX, Motorola 3100) the modem only contained a 10Mbps interface, so it fundamentally cannot run at 10Mbps. Expect 5.5 to 6Mbps.

From talking to users at Cablevision (US Cable ISP), Chetnet understands that the Motorola 4100 modem will perform at “almost 10Mbps”. This seems to reflect experience at Telewest.

Similarly Chetnet understands that the Terayon TJ210 Modem will achieve 7 to 8Mbps. This view is based on performance figures for Toshiba / Turbojet Modems that share a reference design with the Terayon.

It is understood that all the ntl: series silver modems (100, 120, 200) are capable of 10Mbps operation. (firmware update probably required)

For those with modems that cannot achieve 10Mbps, it is understood from the ntl: Press Release that
Quote:
some customers will need to upgrade their modem.

Note: Chetnet's interpretation of this statement is that if you have an older modem, and want to take full advantage of the 10Mbps Tier then you will need to upgrade your modem.

Last edited:
Associate
HEADRAT said:
Well to be fair to NTL I don't think they can be expected to provide enough bandwidth for 5 people to use 1 connection ;)

HEADRAT

what so were all supposed to get 5 NTL lines into the house and all pay £38 a month? :confused:

Soldato
Andyt_uk said:
what so were all supposed to get 5 NTL lines into the house and all pay £38 a month? :confused:

No but I don't think you can really complain when there are 5 of you sharing a connection for £38, what do you expect for £7.60 each per month unlimited access?

You hardly a representative family user are you, 5 students home all day downloading like its going out of fashion ;)

HEADRAT

Associate
OP
Well this 10mbps lark is a bit nippy isn't it....

download.jpg

I was quite surprised when ntl phoned to say the network fault preventing me having 10 meg was fixed and did I want to try it again. :)

Anyway, according to a post on cableforum, here's what modems work, partly work, and well, don't work...

jimbo@cableforum said:
The following are capable of 10Mb now:
ntl 250 (blue Ambit manufactured modem)
ntl 200 (silver Ambit manufactured modem)

The following could be capable of 10Mb, but require a firmware upgrade:
ntl:home 120 (silver Ambit manufactured modem)

The following are not capable of 10Mb:
ntl:home 100 (silver Ambit manufactured modem)
Terayon Terajet 210
Motorola Surfboard 3100/4100
3com Tailfin
3com CMX
All Pace STBs
My poor old CMX was replaced by ntl yesterday with the ntl:250 modem. It's tiny, about a 6th of the size of the 3com (probably not as reliable though!)

Caporegime
This is annoying i called again earlier and i went like this.

me: Im just phoning to see if i cna get my cable upgraded to the 10 meg service.

him: Thats not available to december.

me: My brother phoned last night and was able to get his upgraded to the 10mb service with no problems.

him: the 10 meg service isn't available till december.

Me: If its not available till december how come my brother is using it now plus a lot of other people online have posted in numerous forums saying they got upgraded.

him: "silence"

Me: So its still not available till december then?

him: It will be available december 12th, thanks for calling ntl *click*

Git :mad:

Are these people that clueless? Must be a hell of a lot of miscommunication at ntl if it seems some of their customer service operators know about the service and the rest are clueless.

Last edited:
Associate
I know it seems stupid !!! they are all saying different things, I didnt have to argue at all they just did it straight away. My mate just tried it who lives in the same area and they told him they couldn't do it !

here's mine:

speed2.JPG

I'm using a Terayon TJ210

Last edited:
Associate
OP
When you call on 0800 052 2000, try option 5. If you're lucky you'll get the scottish call centre who seem to be happy to upgrade. I was warned that it is still really a trial and my speed could drop back to 3meg at any time, but they were happy to upgrade still.

Be warned though, if you are currently on 1 or 2 mbps then going to 10 meg at this time will put you on the highest tier costing £37.99/month.

Back
Top Bottom