NTL 10Mb Upgrades Starting Tonight?!

Soldato
thats rubbish

The following are capable of 10Mb now:
ntl 250 (blue Ambit manufactured modem)
ntl 200 (silver Ambit manufactured modem)

The following could be capable of 10Mb, but require a firmware upgrade:
ntl:home 120 (silver Ambit manufactured modem)

The following are not capable of 10Mb:
ntl:home 100 (silver Ambit manufactured modem)
Terayon Terajet 210
Motorola Surfboard 3100/4100
3com Tailfin
3com CMX
All Pace STBs

Testing has not completed on the Samsung STBs, however current results suggest around 8-9Mb may be possible. Higher speeds may be achieved with an upgrade to the uBR - but this has yet to be confirmed.

PLEASE do not call Customer Services/Faults/Technical Support requesting an upgrade for your Cable Modem. Technical Support cannot change your speed, and have been told not to send engineers for customers who are not receiving the full 10Mb downstream speed unless there are other factors involved.

If your modem requires an upgrade to receive the 10Mb service, ntl will contact you to advise you what to do.

Soldato
Ws on 2MB. Used the link from ntlworld to upgrade my connection and was given the 10Mb option only, no 3Mb.

Entered my username/password and was upgraded instantly. No need to power off/on modem or PC. Modem reset itself.

Here's the link

Soldato
Speaking to a mate who lives nearby who is on 3Mb and he does't get the option to upgrade. So looks like previous poster was correct about 10Mb option only being offered to users on 1 or 2Mb. I've asked him to downgrade to 2 and then try. Not sure if NTL will let you make 2 changes withing minutes or wait 30 days etc. He's trying now.

Soldato
Given up trying to get 10mb now, will have to wait for the automatic upgrades in December, its a total balls up by NTL, the staff havent got a clue whats going on.

Some say 'yeah ill upgrade you'
some say 'its not available until december'
some say 'no one has it'
some say 'its not out yet because the modems cant cope with the speed'.

The right arm doesnt know what the left is doing.

4T5

4T5

Man of Honour
Mujja said:
Speaking to a mate who lives nearby who is on 3Mb and he does't get the option to upgrade. So looks like previous poster was correct about 10Mb option only being offered to users on 1 or 2Mb. I've asked him to downgrade to 2 and then try. Not sure if NTL will let you make 2 changes withing minutes or wait 30 days etc. He's trying now.

I was on 3meg when i phoned and got the upgrade to 10 so that doesn't really hold up mate tbh.
I think its down to Luck more than anything which no doubt will annoy more people than it will please.

Soldato
Well.. For the last 2 weeks i have been d/l @ 500-600kbs. The other day i d/l @ 1.15mb sec.. So i take it im upgraded to 10mb.. i havent done a thing, not even called NTl them selves to find out when this is all going to happen.. only one sloght problem is this..

I get cut off/internet stops and have to reboot mode and router .. this only happens when i d/l at fast speeds like 800-1mb sec.. any idea what this is all about?. i got the blue see thru modem..

4T5

4T5

Man of Honour
Mujja said:
malc30, there is no upgrade option through the autoreg page if already on 3Mb.

Sorry mate i didn't realise you were refering to the page. My mistake.
Am feeling guilty i have it tbh and just wanted to help some others get hooked up.

Soldato
Cybermyk said:
I rang them up :D

ntl.JPG

Oh and I'm using a Terayon TJ210

Glad to hear that as I was worried I'd have to get a new modem - and I'd bought mine not rented through NTL.

Still no sign in Belfast after a reboot. Don't want to bother ringing if they won't do it.

Associate
Mine has been upgraded too after phoning up :D (Leicester)

However I'm only getting about 500k/s (I have the ambit 100).

A friend of mine has an ambit 200, is it possible that we could switch our modems temporarily? Does it require changing passwords around (how?)

Thanks

Associate
OP
aftershxck said:
A friend of mine has an ambit 200, is it possible that we could switch our modems temporarily? Does it require changing passwords around (how?)
Nope, can't do that. The modems MAC address identifys you on the network and is tied to your account and level of service.

I suppose you could connect up your mates modem, but it would still download the config file (1meg, 2meg, etc.) set up on his account and not yours. I can't imagine ntl being best pleased either. :)

Associate
I think I will be doing the upgrade after the weekend; however it made me think that after having NTL broadband for years and never needing a new modem, what exactly is the process for them changing the modem. Would I have to run the configuration software again, or do they phone up and get it setup like they do with the changing of the digital STB.

The reason I ask is that the setup was difficult enough when I was trying to get the broadband setup to start with.

4T5

4T5

Man of Honour
Ntl Dude changed my Modem about 3 weeks ago.
Unplug. Plug in switch on Job done. He phoned through as he was doing it. Probably took 5 mins but no config was needed system end.

Back
Top Bottom